SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: WEEK 114: Coherence

So this was my first week with yall and it was dope but i hope there's like way less science next week lol

Haha. Our membership increased by like 33% in about the span of a week and then immediately Coherence and its quantum physics get dropped on us. I can imagine that's quite daunting and to new members.:D

All this talk about particles reminded me of the They Might Be Giants song Particle Man.

There's lyrics that go-

Triangle Man, Triangle Man,
Triangle Man hates Particle Man,
They had a fight,
Triangle Wins,
Triangle Man

Hmm...Triangle Man? As in...

220px-Triangle_%28Christopher_Smith%29.jpg

...which was also another @MusterX movie.

My God...I can only rationally assume that this is a sign that Muster is up to something shadowy and devious. I'm gonna have to come up with a plan so smart to stop him. One that would make my head explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

(MEANWHILE - What Muster is thinking)
ezgif.com-add-text_1.gif

In my simple mind, sure, why not? Superposition means the particle is in every possible state at once. In this closed system the only possible results include the choices made by the participants at the party, which I guess include being at the party.

Or, in terms of the double slit experiment, the light particles pass through both slits at the same time, thus both results exist at once. In the movie the slits are the character's choices.

LOL, scientists love closure, they love solving something and saying, this is how it works. I'm sure a great many of them are not pleased with the nature of quantum mechanics. The building blocks of what we call reality work as if by magic. The proton in the double slit doesn't split in half and go through each side, it simply goes through both sides simultaneously.....the same proton.....as in 1 proton being in 2 places. That is the kind of result that makes a scientist scream bullshit and then test it 300 times in a row.

Electron clouds, which are also referred to as possibility clouds, particles having the ability to be both a wave and a particle, superposition, entanglement, and more. Its insanity compared to how reality works at the macro level.

sinhafig.1.png

So this was my first week with yall and it was dope but i hope there's like way less science next week lol

Sorry, my apologies. The problem with coherence is you can't really try to discuss the film without the science. The film is based on the science. Unfortunately the director picked some of the most complex science there is. Its all mind blowing stuff. Its like if we removed all the empty space from your atoms, the only matter left of you would fit in a particle of dust. The entire human race would fit in a sugar cube. What you think of as your body, and for that matter all of Earth, is almost like an illusion. We are here, but its more your electrical field and consciousness than it is actual matter. Everything feels solid, and appears real because the electrical field in the atoms push against each other. Its like I was saying to Europe1, when you sit on your chair you don't even touch it, you are hovering above it at a distance on 1 angstrom which is one ten-billionth of a meter.

All this talk about particles reminded me of the They Might Be Giants song Particle Man.

There's lyrics that go-

Triangle Man, Triangle Man,
Triangle Man hates Particle Man,
They had a fight,
Triangle Wins,
Triangle Man

Hmm...Triangle Man? As in...

220px-Triangle_%28Christopher_Smith%29.jpg

...which was also another @MusterX movie.

My God...I can only rationally assume that this is a sign that Muster is up to something shadowy and devious. I'm gonna have to come up with a plan so smart to stop him. One that would make my head explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

(MEANWHILE - What Muster is thinking)
ezgif.com-add-text_1.gif

I've been sent back in time from the year 2037. In the year 2028 time travel is invented by a future member of the SMC who is inspired by the time travel films and discussions that were had in the past, well, in your present.

I've been sent back in time from the year 2037. In the year 2028 time travel is invented by a future member of the SMC who is inspired by the time travel films and discussions that were had in the past, well, in your present.

Ugh, I’m gonna be 52 when we can finally time travel?

All right, my next round of nominations are going to be all three Back to the Future movies and Timecop in hopes of speeding this process up.

Ugh, I’m gonna be 52 when we can finally time travel?

All right, my next round of nominations are going to be all three Back to the Future movies and Timecop in hopes of speeding this process up.

I'll warn you now, if you bring in Back to the Future I'll ruin that movie for you. It is one of those films that is conspiracy laden and crazy. Maybe not ruin but you will never view it in the same way again.

LOL, scientists love closure, they love solving something and saying, this is how it works. I'm sure a great many of them are not pleased with the nature of quantum mechanics. The building blocks of what we call reality work as if by magic. The proton in the double slit doesn't split in half and go through each side, it simply goes through both sides simultaneously.....the same proton.....as in 1 proton being in 2 places. That is the kind of result that makes a scientist scream bullshit and then test it 300 times in a row.

Electron clouds, which are also referred to as possibility clouds, particles having the ability to be both a wave and a particle, superposition, entanglement, and more. Its insanity compared to how reality works at the macro level.

sinhafig.1.png
At the macro level this stuff can probably only be described in controlled systems. As in our movie. Characters in each reality make choices simultaneously, like which items to put in the box. But they only exist because of the choice.

Adding detail to the double-slit experiment, what happens if the decision to open one of the slits is made only after the particle has chosen a path? Does the interference pattern still exists, meaning possibly that the act of observation determines the past behavior of the particle? Why, yes it does.

https://physicsworld.com/a/do-atoms-going-through-a-double-slit-know-if-they-are-being-observed/
While Wheeler conceived of this purely as a thought experiment, experimental advances allowed Alain Aspect and colleagues at the Institut d’Optique, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan and the National Centre for Scientific Research, all in France, to actually perform it in 2007 with single photons, using beamsplitters in place of the slits envisage by Wheeler. By inserting or removing a second beamsplitter randomly, the researchers could either recombine the two paths or leave them separate, making it impossible for an observer to know which path a photon had taken. They showed that if the second beamsplitter was inserted, even after the photon would have passed the first, an interference pattern was created.

Normally in my reviews I would dive into the acting, performances, important moments, characters and other things. Unfortunately, this is improvised so all of these reactions just happened with a very loose storyline attached. They even had a writer as one of the characters who helped keep people on the right track in case the improvisation got a little too lose. Because of that, there isn't a lot to talk about in that regard. I am glad the actors had enough control to not speak over each other, because having experience in improv sometimes egos take control and one actor wants to steal a bit more spotlight.

Over halfway through the film and we still don't really have a main character. It's actually pretty unusual, we don't really have anyone to root for, and basically only the older woman with the ketamine to root against because we saw her add the drug to a drink. I've been to parties where people decided to up the ante and sample some special K, and judging by how they acted, I'm glad I didn't partake. Animal tranquilizers are not for me. But after long enough, they kind of establish the blonde girl (as stated in the first post) is the main judging by how she's the one figuring out what is going on.

To me, this film was a little frustrating. A couple things happened along the way, and they sort of almost figured out whatever was going on, but it wasn't until about an hour in that something actually happened and the two parallel groups realized they interacted before. And then, everything really goes off the rails when they start breaking apart and realizing they're not from each others' realities. Everyone's all messed up like they came off the jumble scramble, and blonde girl is trying to figure out how to put it all back together. I wanted to call her Blondie but I used that nickname for the last week.

It was amusing to see everyone react so crazily to the mixup, the scenes of her walking down the road and seeing all the different versions of everyone was a good payoff. To me it seems a little offputting that the main girl just decided to bail on every reality she encountered until she found a friendly one, and then bludgeoned that reality's version of herself. It's not quite like Triangle where she killed herself, so the jig was up when that reality's her called to warn her reality's boyfriend about the trespassing girl. With the comet gone, there are now two versions of her living in that timeline, and who knows what would happen. We also wonder what happened to the other realities, they were just stuck like that, in a big reality washing machine that spun everything around and spat them out randomly.

I was not a fan of the director's choice on breaking scenes on a cut to black, it got old quickly. It felt like a gimmick or trick or something that didn't need to be repeated time and time again. To be frank, and I know it was super low budget, but it felt like this could have been a lot shorter. There were a lot of scenes where characters were just rabbling with one another and we couldn't make heads or tails of it, and it didn't progress the story or do anything besides possibly demonstrating that tensions were mounting. We get it, it's confusing. Did we need an extra 20 minutes of them feeling around in the dark to try to figure out what was going on, and then the little digression about them trying to comprehend alternate realities and all that? It was an honest effort to try to bridge the gap, but it fell flat for me, with them half-heartedly explaining the hard science concepts they were on about.

I would have been happy if this were an hour. I didn't dislike it in its entirety, I just felt like there was too much of nothing and then suddenly 25 minutes of everything. And then, a minute of "oh they were already going through this at the beginning, did you notice?" And stapled to that was a bunch of dinner party drama that was superfluous after a while. The director had the right approach - less is more. Don't show much in the way of violence, or anything beyond loud knocking, and just let the story and tension do the work. But then when it came to putting all those people together with their drama, it was suddenly "we have to know the story of this dude's infidelity or this drunk failed actor's deal".

6/10. I was not on the edge of my seat while watching it. It had a good idea and then decided "let's take this good idea and then give it to a bunch of people who have no idea what's going on and maybe they'll spin straw into gold." If this were redone by good actors with a good writer, then we're talking.

At the macro level this stuff can probably only be described in controlled systems. As in our movie. Characters in each reality make choices simultaneously, like which items to put in the box. But they only exist because of the choice.

Adding detail to the double-slit experiment, what happens if the decision to open one of the slits is made only after the particle has chosen a path? Does the interference pattern still exists, meaning possibly that the act of observation determines the past behavior of the particle? Why, yes it does.

https://physicsworld.com/a/do-atoms-going-through-a-double-slit-know-if-they-are-being-observed/
While Wheeler conceived of this purely as a thought experiment, experimental advances allowed Alain Aspect and colleagues at the Institut d’Optique, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan and the National Centre for Scientific Research, all in France, to actually perform it in 2007 with single photons, using beamsplitters in place of the slits envisage by Wheeler. By inserting or removing a second beamsplitter randomly, the researchers could either recombine the two paths or leave them separate, making it impossible for an observer to know which path a photon had taken. They showed that if the second beamsplitter was inserted, even after the photon would have passed the first, an interference pattern was created.

giphy.gif

Holy shit that is just mind blowing. If I understand correctly it means that they were able to illustrate that if they had one slit open and fired a single proton , and the proton then started passing through the slit, that they could open a 2nd slit and an interference pattern would be shown as if the Proton had gone though both slits. Meaning......that the past was affected made by a decision in the present. You can't tell me this shit isn't banana's. That brings into question the entire way time works with past, present, and future. There are theories that all of time, past, present, and future are happening simultaneously.

They even had a writer as one of the characters who helped keep people on the right track in case the improvisation got a little too lose. Because of that, there isn't a lot to talk about in that regard. I am glad the actors had enough control to not speak over each other, because having experience in improv sometimes egos take control and one actor wants to steal a bit more spotlight.

I couldn't believe this was done by improvisational actors. It looks so smooth and natural to me and like you pointed out they didn't talk over each other except at times when it would be appropriate like during panic.

To me it seems a little offputting that the main girl just decided to bail on every reality she encountered until she found a friendly one, and then bludgeoned that reality's version of herself. It's not quite like Triangle where she killed herself, so the jig was up when that reality's her called to warn her reality's boyfriend about the trespassing girl. With the comet gone, there are now two versions of her living in that timeline, and who knows what would happen.

Emily created a play or something and was going to star in it but then she got pushed out and some random girl who was perceived as her inferior got noticed and became famous, essentially stealing her life. The entire dinner conversation where Laurie was asking her about it was very uncomfortable. Emily was desperate to find a time line where that didn't happen to her. You could tell by the look on her face in the dinner scene that she was very devastated by how it all played out.

Being that I nominated both Triangle and Coherence, maybe I have a thing about blond girls that try to kill themselves. I'll have to be on the lookout for that in myself.

I was not a fan of the director's choice on breaking scenes on a cut to black, it got old quickly. It felt like a gimmick or trick or something that didn't need to be repeated time and time again. To be frank, and I know it was super low budget, but it felt like this could have been a lot shorter. There were a lot of scenes where characters were just rabbling with one another and we couldn't make heads or tails of it, and it didn't progress the story or do anything besides possibly demonstrating that tensions were mounting.

Its already densely packed with detail even at 90 minutes. I've viewed it 3 times and each time I notice all sorts of new details that I didn't before. Even at dinner in the first 30 minutes of the movie there is already some people there that probably shouldn't be and details that come into play later in the film like the discussion about the flower vase, the broken green glass, etc. All of the details are impossible to pick out in a single viewing and I can tell you that almost all that stuff has detail in it, clues in it.

Most of the cuts to black were changes to different time lines or realities or possibilities, whichever you prefer. Those fade outs were movements to other houses but they contained the same characters so it is hard to picture exactly what is happening when it happens. The director doesn't want to tell you that he is switching houses so he just used a fade to black for most of it. There were at least 4 or 5 sets of different characters.

I couldn't believe this was done by improvisational actors. It looks so smooth and natural to me and like you pointed out they didn't talk over each other except at times when it would be appropriate like during panic.

Made total sense to me based on how the dialogue was overlapping. I'd have been more surprised if the lines were scripted and they delivered them with that precise of timing.

Emily created a play or something and was going to star in it but then she got pushed out and some random girl who was perceived as her inferior got noticed and became famous, essentially stealing her life. The entire dinner conversation where Laurie was asking her about it was very uncomfortable. Emily was desperate to find a time line where that didn't happen to her. You could tell by the look on her face in the dinner scene that she was very devastated by how it all played out.

Foreshadowing of her literally trying to steal someone's life. :eek:

giphy.gif

Holy shit that is just mind blowing. If I understand correctly it means that they were able to illustrate that if they had one slit open and fired a single proton , and the proton then started passing through the slit, that they could open a 2nd slit and an interference pattern would be shown as if the Proton had gone though both slits. Meaning......that the past was affected made by a decision in the present. You can't tell me this shit isn't banana's. That brings into question the entire way time works with past, present, and future. There are theories that all of time, past, present, and future are happening simultaneously.

1432055231486.gif

Whose life was she stealing?

The other incarnation. You can make the case with the two at the end being one, but since the comet passed and hubby is talking on the phone to one while looking at the other, I'm gonna rest on them being two distinct entities. Or you can view it as not foreshadowing and that's fine too.

The other incarnation. You can make the case with the two at the end being one, but since the comet passed and hubby is talking on the phone to one while looking at the other, I'm gonna rest on them being two distinct entities. Or you can view it as not foreshadowing and that's fine too.

I don't know. I've been leaning toward there are no other incarnations, not really. Its all just...her. Some religions believe people live over and over experiencing everything there is to experience. I guess that's what incarnation is all about.

When the proton goes through two slits at the same time is it two different protons or is it 1 proton experiencing Superpostion?

sinhafig.1.png

There is only 1 proton but it is in all states. Its found within a cloud of positions simultaneously. I was leaning toward all these characters being sort of like that proton, its all just...them. Emily was traumatizing herself to get what she wanted. There may be a deeper message here about what we are willing to do to ourselves to "succeed."

I don't know. I've been leaning toward there are no other incarnations, not really. Its all just...her. Some religions believe people live over and over experiencing everything there is to experience. I guess that's what incarnation is all about.

When the proton goes through two slits at the same time is it two different protons or is it 1 proton experiencing Superpostion?

sinhafig.1.png

There is only 1 proton but it is in all states. Its found within a cloud of positions simultaneously. I was leaning toward all these characters being sort of like that proton, its all just...them. Emily was traumatizing herself to get what she wanted. There may be a deeper message here about what we are willing to do to ourselves to "succeed."

Much like the protons, I think she can be both traumatizing herself and stealing another's life at the same time. :cool:

Back