PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

A 970 STOMPS on a 1050 Ti, I have both cards in two different pc’s.

It’s not even close. But they aren’t in the same class of card anyway.

The 1050 ti is newer, so might might last longer but that would be only benifit if at all.

1050’s are made for people whose power supplies can’t push a 70 series or need a smaller card to fit their case.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2577vs3649

Thank you! I will wait for one more opinion before I give my own. lol

Thank you! I will wait for one more opinion before I give my own. lol
GPU hardware power isn't a matter of opinion. These things are objectively measured, and he just gave you the best resource. Nevertheless, that is a meta-benchmark, so here is the gold standard of individual benchmarks for gamers to ease your mind:
https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/b...E&reverseOrder=true&types=DESKTOP&minRating=0

The GTX 1050 Ti is physically smaller, requires much less power & doesn't require 6+ pin cable connectors for power (can even be powered through the motherboard), and because of the latter produces much less heat-- if any of those advantages resolves a potential issue with his comp. That will depend. Otherwise, the GTX 970 is going to stomp it in any game.

GPU hardware power isn't a matter of opinion. These things are objectively measured, and he just gave you the best resource. Nevertheless, that is a meta-benchmark, so here is the gold standard of individual benchmarks for gamers to ease your mind:
https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/b...E&reverseOrder=true&types=DESKTOP&minRating=0

The GTX 1050 Ti is physically smaller, requires much less power & doesn't require 6+ pin cable connectors for power (can even be powered through the motherboard), and because of the latter produces much less heat-- if any of those advantages resolves a potential issue with his comp. That will depend. Otherwise, the GTX 970 is going to stomp it in any game.

Tank you both of you guys!

And @Madmick , keep on doing the great work you are doing here, it is valued!

So I had to RMA my used RX 570 and I'm opting for the 1050ti. I think I settled on either the Zotac mini or the OC version with dual fans. Is there any reason for me to go with the OC or should I save money and go for the mini and just OC it myself??

@Madmick @jefferz

Oooor should I spend the extra money and get an xfx RX 580 8gb??

Also it seems like Sapphire is releasing an RX 570 8gb but it's DVI only (monitor is DVI and I don't plan on upgrading Soon) for $119 (nothing out of pocket), The 1050ti (both the mini or the OC would be about $20ish out of pocket), and the RX 580 would be $45ish out of pocket.

My gut is telling me to go with the 580 for future proofing...

So I had to RMA my used RX 570 and I'm opting for the 1050ti. I think I settled on either the Zotac mini or the OC version with dual fans. Is there any reason for me to go with the OC or should I save money and go for the mini and just OC it myself??

@Madmick @jefferz
You're not likely to get much out of OC-- even if the Mini wasn't a single fan card.

GTX 1050 Ti, Reference
  • Core Clock: 1290 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1392 MHz
GTX 1050 Ti, Zotac Mini (out of the box)
  • Core Clock: 1303 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1417 MHz

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_1050_ti_mini_review,37.html
index.php

In comparison here is how high they were able to score with the MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming (a dual fan variant):
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1050_and_1050_ti_gaming_x_review,36.html
index.php

The MSI is 3%-4% more powerful at stock or overclocked. It's not worth it to pay extra at this budget for OC overhead; especially since that voids the warranty. Usually you end up spending $30-$50 more for the "best" version of a budget card when that would have put you in the price range for the lower end of the next GPU above it that is far more powerful. The difference in price is more about fans/noise, cooling temps, form factor (i.e. size/height of the card), or brand.

If buying new the GTX 1050 Ti is a terrible buy right now assuming you have a PSU that can power a more powerful card, and you should since you just tried out a used crypto RX 570. The cheapest RX 580 (XFX from B&H) is only $13 more than the Zotac OC GTX 1050 Ti, $21 more than the Mini, and $35 more than the cheapest GTX 1050 Ti listed. The RX 570 cards are cheaper than the GTX 1050 Ti despite that the 570 60% more powerful (the 580 is 83% more powerful).

I would strongly, strongly advise the RX 580. Trust your gut, indeed.

You're not likely to get much out of OC-- even if the Mini wasn't a single fan card.

GTX 1050 Ti, Reference
  • Core Clock: 1290 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1392 MHz
GTX 1050 Ti, Zotac Mini (out of the box)
  • Core Clock: 1303 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1417 MHz

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_1050_ti_mini_review,37.html
index.php

In comparison here is how high they were able to score with the MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming (a dual fan variant):
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1050_and_1050_ti_gaming_x_review,36.html
index.php

The MSI is 3%-4% more powerful at stock or overclocked. It's not worth it to pay extra at this budget for OC overhead; especially since that voids the warranty. Usually you end up spending $30-$50 more for the "best" version of a budget card when that would have put you in the price range for the lower end of the next GPU above it that is far more powerful. The difference in price is more about fans/noise, cooling temps, form factor (i.e. size/height of the card), or brand.

If buying new the GTX 1050 Ti is a terrible buy right now assuming you have a PSU that can power a more powerful card, and you should since you just tried out a used crypto RX 570. The cheapest RX 580 (XFX from B&H) is only $13 more than the Zotac OC GTX 1050 Ti, $21 more than the Mini, and $35 more than the cheapest GTX 1050 Ti listed. The RX 570 cards are cheaper than the GTX 1050 Ti despite that the 570 60% more powerful (the 580 is 83% more powerful).

I would strongly, strongly advise the RX 580. Trust your gut, indeed.

I definitely have the PSU to power the 580 (EVGA G2 650W 80+ Gold). It seems like a no brainier to go for the 580 which is what I was leaning toowards for future proofing.

Thanks

Why are the 1050ti priced so much more than the RX 570s when the latter Trump it in performance. Is it the lack of needing a PSU to power it and being a simple plug in and play?

bit the bullet and bought this bad boy. Like I said seemed like a no brainer. should be at my house when i return from vacation. I'm just hoping i dont get screwed with this like i did the 570.
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+
That's new, and appears to be directly from XFX with the order fulfilled by Amazon. You're not going to get a used cryptohusk.
in short, nvidia always priced higher.
That's almost always true. There have been times you could get the NVIDIA counterpart for cheaper (ex. infrequently the GTX 1060 6GB for less than the RX 580 8GB).

These NVIDIA prices are awful. Relative to its performance, with the RX 570 and RX 580 where they are, even with the benefit of running without external power, the GTX 1050 Ti entry point should be no higher than $130.

Why are the 1050ti priced so much more than the RX 570s when the latter Trump it in performance. Is it the lack of needing a PSU to power it and being a simple plug in and play?
The price of the 1050ti went up just like every other card during the crypto craze. All the other cards went back down to normal prices after the crash except the 1050’s.
I paid $116 for a Gigabyte 1050ti in May of 2017.

i was gonna get this but the 580 was just more enticing. people say its a mining card tho
Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5 DVI-D (UEFI) Graphics Card
Regular RX570 4gb models have been going on sale for $120-$130.
You can use the card you posted as a gaming card if you’re willing to do some work and trust a random Chinese source for drivers. But you’re not going to get driver updates or the benefits that come with them.
Imo it’s not worth the hassle, just buy a regular card for $20 more.

Last edited:
Regular RX570 4gb models have been going on sale for $120-$130.
You can use the card you posted as a gaming card if you’re willing to do some work and trust a random Chinese source for drivers. But you’re not going to get driver updates or the benefits that come with then.
Imo it’s not worth the hassle, just buy a regular card for $20 more.
It seems everyone on /r/buildapc were like nope no thanks. Also looks like Sapphire is releasing same card bUt in 8gb in a few days. At $119 it seems like a good BUDGET card (and that's it to behonestb(

Just saw this pop up on my feed, thought it was funny since I’ve been thinking about a new card but don’t really need one.

And it’s the EXACT card I have lol.

Anyway.

I recently started a job that has me traveling frequently. I've been looking at gaming laptops and realized that I don't think I'm willing to make the trade in performance for the reduced size, but I do need something smaller than my full size tower that I can use to game in hotel rooms. I'm asking you all to help me build a mini (micro?) gaming PC. My budget is ~$1500 and I am open to any and all suggestions.

I recently started a job that has me traveling frequently. I've been looking at gaming laptops and realized that I don't think I'm willing to make the trade in performance for the reduced size, but I do need something smaller than my full size tower that I can use to game in hotel rooms. I'm asking you all to help me build a mini (micro?) gaming PC. My budget is ~$1500 and I am open to any and all suggestions.
The suggestions will be Micro ATX or Mini ITX builds. The guys will be along shortly to help, but devising blueprints for powerful SFF (small form factor) builds like this are a bit more hazardous than usual since there is a greater chance of issues if you don't mind your P's and Q's. Just means there is a bit more legwork with double checking to be sure the parts you buy will fit comfortably without issue. Choosing low-profile RAM, or at least RAM without heat spreaders, and choosing a low-profile or "Mini" GPU variant are keys that help, but this will also typically mean foregoing the cheapest options for those respective components on the market. Stock CPU coolers tend to be small, but if you want aftermarket upgrades, you're going to want to be careful with the selection due to height concerns. With smaller builds better CPU coolers are definitely a bonus for Intel CPUs (ex. Noctua NH-L9i, Cryorig C7). AMD's stock Wraith coolers don't require upgrades.

I don't think you give up a ton in terms of laptop performance anymore against SFF PC builds, anymore. This is especially true if you aren't pirating or getting a grey market OS, if the PC build includes a WiFi adapter since those are so handy in hotels, and also the price of the display and keyboard (if you don't have those already). If you aren't lugging around a gaming monitor, another consideration that excises that cost, you should additionally weigh that the display performance in most gaming laptops will be superior to TVs you jack into on the road even if they aren't as large in size, and you won't ever have to worry about potential input or display driver woes.
These are just beyond your budget ceiling, but they're the best I'm seeing in that range.

($1549) HP Omen 15, 2018 [15-dc0045nr]
  • 15.6" 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync IPS display (also a backlit keyboard)
  • i7-8750H CPU
  • GTX 1070 8GB Mobile
  • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2666MHz RAM
  • 512GB NVMe SSD
  • 802.11ac WiFi
  • Windows 10 Home included

($1625) MSI Leopard 17, 8th Gen [GP73 Leopard-209] {PDF Specs}
  • 17.3" 1920x1080 TN display (also a backlit keyboard)
  • i7-8750H CPU
  • GTX 1070 8GB Mobile
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz RAM
  • 256GB NVMe SSD
  • 1TB HDD
  • 802.11ac WiFi

($1599) Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R Pro-X [Customizable Gaming Laptop]
$1299 baseline configuration; ideal value configuration configured below*
  • 17.3" 1920x1080 144Hz IPS display (also an RGB mechanical backlit keyboard)
  • i7-8750H CPU
  • RTX 2060 6GB mobile
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2666MHz RAM
  • 512GB NVMe SSD (Adata SX8200 Pro), no secondary storage
  • Standard Thermal Compound
  • 802.11ac WiFi (included no matter what)
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Standard 1-Year Warranty
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4 included free, make sure to select it
*Notes:
-- if you have a thumb drive with the OS, and you know how to install it like that, you can forego the +$49 for Windows 10 Home
-- you might consider a 1x16GB RAM stick running in single channel if you want to one day expand to 32GB more cheaply, but it's probably better to get two sticks running dual channel, then if you ever do upgrade, just buy 2 new sticks to spare yourself hunting for a RAM stick with identical specs that might end up being pricey, anyway. Also consider getting 32GB (2x16GB), but this configuration already exceeds your budget, and 16GB is the current sweet spot.

Another option is the SFF custom builds by those like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC, but beware that they just assemble their builds, which ensures that the build is possible, yes, but I have seen quite a few bad reviews and complaints for past SFF builds by these companies; just because a build is compatible/possible doesn't mean it's a good idea, but their models don't really allow for this quality control. So, again, it's up to you to choose wisely, and most acutely this means choosing your case, case fans, and CPU cooler options carefully.

For some reason IBP's Mini ITX homepage isn't working, but you can individually select the base options to configure from the "Gaming PCs" drop-down menu if you want to play around assessing prices relative to PCPP.
iBuyPower Micro ATX

For Cyberpower PC, select the "Gaming PCs" drop-down menu, then in "Custom Configurations" you'll see various "SFF" base options:
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I'll be back on later tonight, and I'll play around to see what the market has to offer right now. In the meantime, I didn't exhaustively updated it in November 2018, but they also haven't added a billion cases since I made it in 2016, and this "LAN Party PC Cases" post is exactly what you're after as a launching point for your own build:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...s-a-peripheral.2877637/page-30#post-115305461

Also, be aware of this Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/

Last edited:
The suggestions will be Micro ATX or Mini ITX builds. The guys will be along shortly to help, but devising blueprints for powerful SFF (small form factor) builds like this are a bit more hazardous than usual since there is a greater chance of issues if you don't mind your P's and Q's. Just means there is a bit more legwork with double checking to be sure the parts you buy will fit comfortably without issue. Choosing low-profile RAM, or at least RAM without heat spreaders, and choosing a low-profile or "Mini" GPU variant are keys that help, but this will also typically mean foregoing the cheapest options for those respective components on the market. Stock CPU coolers tend to be small, but if you want aftermarket upgrades, you're going to want to be careful with the selection due to height concerns. With smaller builds better CPU coolers are definitely a bonus for Intel CPUs (ex. Noctua NH-L9i, Cryorig C7). AMD's stock Wraith coolers don't require upgrades.

I don't think you give up a ton in terms of laptop performance anymore against SFF PC builds, anymore. This is especially true if you aren't pirating or getting a grey market OS, if the PC build includes a WiFi adapter since those are so handy in hotels, and also the price of the display and keyboard (if you don't have those already). If you aren't lugging around a gaming monitor, another consideration that excises that cost, you should additionally weigh that the display performance in most gaming laptops will be superior to TVs you jack into on the road even if they aren't as large in size, and you won't ever have to worry about potential input or display driver woes.
These are just beyond your budget ceiling, but they're the best I'm seeing in that range.

($1549) HP Omen 15, 2018 [15-dc0045nr]
  • 15.6" 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync IPS display (also a backlit keyboard)
  • i7-8750H CPU
  • GTX 1070 8GB Mobile
  • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2666MHz RAM
  • 512GB NVMe SSD
  • 802.11ac WiFi

($1625) MSI Leopard 17, 8th Gen [GP73 Leopard-209] {PDF Specs}
  • 17.3" 1920x1080 TN display (also a backlit keyboard)
  • i7-8750H CPU
  • GTX 1070 8GB Mobile
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz RAM
  • 256GB NVMe SSD
  • 1TB HDD
  • 802.11ac WiFi
($1599) Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R Pro-X [Customizable Gaming Laptop]
$1299 baseline configuration; ideal value configuration configured below*
  • 17.3" 1920x1080 144Hz IPS display (also an RGB mechanical backlit keyboard)
  • i7-8750H CPU
  • RTX 2060 6GB
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2666MHz RAM
  • 512GB NVMe SSD (Adata SX8200 Pro), no secondary storage
  • Standard Thermal Compound
  • 802.11ac WiFi (included no matter what)
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Standard 1-Year Warranty
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4 included free, make sure to select it
*Notes:
-- if you have a thumb drive with the OS, and you know how to install it like that, you can forego the +$49 for Windows 10 Home
-- you might consider a 1x16GB RAM stick running in single channel if you want to one day expand to 32GB more cheaply, but it's probably better to get two sticks running dual channel, then if you ever do upgrade, just buy 2 new sticks to spare yourself hunting for a RAM stick with identical specs that might end up being pricey, anyway. Also consider getting 32GB (2x16GB), but this configuration already exceeds your budget, and 16GB is the current sweet spot.

Another option is the SFF custom builds by those like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC, but beware that they just assemble their builds, which ensures that the build is possible, yes, but I have seen quite a few bad reviews and complaints for past SFF builds by these companies; just because a build is compatible/possible doesn't mean it's a good idea, but their models don't really allow for this quality control. So, again, it's up to you to choose wisely, and most acutely this means choosing your case, case fans, and CPU cooler options carefully.

For some reason IBP's Mini ITX homepage isn't working, but you can individually select the base options to configure from the "Gaming PCs" drop-down menu if you want to play around assessing prices relative to PCPP.
iBuyPower Micro ATX

For Cyberpower PC, select the "Gaming PCs" drop-down menu, then in "Custom Configurations" you'll see various "SFF" base options:
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I'll be back on later tonight, and I'll play around to see what the market has to offer right now. In the meantime, I didn't exhaustively updated it in November 2018, but they also haven't added a billion cases since I made it in 2016, and this "LAN Party PC Cases" post is exactly what you're after as a launching point for your own build:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...s-a-peripheral.2877637/page-30#post-115305461

Also, be aware of this Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm not worried about peripherals. I have them already and don't mind using TVs occasionally. I do know how to image a computer/install an OS. If it's true that I won't lose much in performance, though, I will reconsider a laptop. Would it be very difficult or impossible to throw an additional HDD in the first laptop you mentioned? It looks like a great laptop, but 500gb won't cut it for me. I usually have a silly number of games installed.

Back