Should Blaydes retire from MMA? The sport will not treat him well

He's 26 and has lost twice in his career already. Complete bum imo, should retire as soon as possible.

Blaydes will be absolutely fine.

Around March/April, he'll be back fighting someone like Shamil Abdurakhimov or Marcin Tybura. He'll beat whichever one, comfortably.

End of the summer, he'll be fighting Derrick Lewis or Stipe. If he wins that fight, he'll get a title shot.

He should take a " break " of fighting top opponents and focus on his striking / SnC..
He got crushed faster the 2d time while he should have shown improvments, so there's obviously something wrong with his training regimen/strategy

All it will take is one win, preferably with something splashy like the elbows that sliced Reem up, and people will be talking him up again for a TS — it's heavyweight after all. Look how fast we've moved on from petitioning Reem to retire and digging a grave for Ngannou's career. His wrestling style hasn't inspired universal whining about it being boring, like with Fitch and Askren, and I still remember how he took Adam Milstead to Suplex City. And honestly, the sheer novelty of being a decent HW under the age of 30 can make up for a LOT in the fans' minds. I'm far more sanguine (hah) about Blaydes' future career than you are. Admittedly he's been getting staggered more than desirable for long term health concerns, but it's not nearly the time for the Schaub talk.

1. He's a grinder. Even though he showed improved striking with Overeem, he does not have a style people will pay to see.
There were a lot of wrestlers like this in UFC. They didn't last long. He can last longer, because he's the most talented from them - but should he?
2. He lost twice to the same contender. His availability for the title shot will be no earlier than 2020. Meanwhile he'll fight for peanuts.
3. Other companies will not be too interested in him, in case his contract expires. He's not interesting in any way, besides being a HW. But he's too good for his own good - no one will want him to hold a title, and he can't be fed to someone.
4. He's still relatively young. Yes, 27 is young enough. He can continue education and move to a stable job. Even as wrestling coach.
5. He's still in good health. He wasn't even fully knocked out. Or suffered serious injuries. Good time to get out healthy.

I understand your good intentions but not everyone will be a top contender, look at fighters like Werdum he's had his ups and downs......give him time, he might hit his stride later on.

What a stupid thread. You should retire from Sherdog.

You have NO CLUE how much he did in Overeem fight.

Illinois Athletic Commission does not reveal the payouts.

You're a very stupid liar.

And you are a moron. He made 75k in bonuses + reebok money.

He just needs to win his fights and the decent money will come..
not the conor money mind you he does not have the personality for that..
but probably enough money to buy whatever people named razorblades desire

Yeah I agree it's probably best to get out now while he can, idk if he's always slurred his speech but something tells me sparring with other HW's leads to more accelerated brain damage. Of course he won't leave because he's a disciple of the JBG, and will continue to get brutally finished or give us brutal finishes like this
ThreadbareFatherlyAsianpiedstarling-size_restricted.gif

No shame in losing to Francis, Stipe was one wrong move from the same outcome.

Should have been stopped 3 elbows earlier. This is a shitty stoppage that doesn't get mentioned.

Dude it's heavyweight. He's 2 wins away from being back in the title picture. Even less if someone pulls out injured. He's one of the youngest heavyweights they have. He can improve. So I would say no it's a bit premature. In 2 to 3 years we'll have the talk with Blaydes if we need to.

..and sherdoggers are those who're asking for the Reem to fight for a title.
Not the casuals.

Overall? You know that most of the UFC fighters are in crappy financial condition.
But in case of Blaydes, he will simply not be a champion anyone wants.
He can be a top 5 hw for a long time. And can make good money over that time.

I won't be mad if the retire, me and many others won't miss him for sure

he's young and a top 5 HW. He will probably fight for the title in 2020.

Does MMA only exist for champions and future champions?

Stupidest thread of the year

I hate fights that end that way. Of course, Francis was the clear and decisive winner but it does not diminish Blaydes' potential at his age.

Irrelevant, incoherent blah blah blah

Sorry, I'm not really interested to read anything that comes from a troll that responds without reading.

And please don't take it as an insult, that is a mere diagnosis. Don't feel bad with what you are.

I understand your good intentions but not everyone will be a top contender, look at fighters like Werdum he's had his ups and downs......give him time, he might hit his stride later on.

Of course he can. The issue is, the sport is not in a place where it was when Werdum hit his lower lows. And Werdum ALWAYS was appreciated by MMA more than Blaydes was.

And you are a moron. He made 75k in bonuses + reebok money.

I see that you're a biy slow, so I will repeat:

ILLINOIS ATHLETIC COMMISSION DOES NOT REVEAL THE PAYOUTS.

So whichever ass you pulled the "75k" number, please put it back.
Either you made it up, or you took it from Fake Newz site.

Back