Should Kattars corner have stopped the fight?

Should Kattar Corner have stop the fight?

• Total voters
Definitely yes, hoping for a lucky punch after taking that much beating. It has been 11 years of fighting and Max has never been knocked out. Now, mid round three the massacre has begun, Kattar was swinging, but hoping for a lucky punch when your fighter is undergoing FATALITY from MK is a far cry. In the end, Kattar showed chin, but shortened his life span by 5-10 years. Worth it? Don't think so. Just not worth it. It was the corner's job to throw in towel to make it look good. Kattar would save face, while corner would save his health. Instead, he proved nothing, but deteriorated his health by miles. Good job corner, thanks for showing us how much WHITE LIVES MATTER! Mr.Herb Dean.

This is one of the rare occasions where I'll say "yes". But imagine landing something big on Max in 5th and winning, it would be absolute madness. I can't blame the corner for not doing it. Hopefully, Kattar doesn't suffer too much in the long run. What a beating.

Yes, Kattar showed the most heart I've seen in a long long long time
He definitely showed unbelievable heart. But I thought it could have been stopped in the 2nd round. Everything after that looked like a slow murder live on TV. I was screaming at Herb and the corner. Every time he looked deep in trouble though he kept swinging back and I guess that's why Herb let it go. Yet at any time Herb could have stepped in because of the ultimate accumulation of damage, kinda like you see in boxing, where a ref just sees a fighter taking enough and steps in.

tough call. he was still landing bombs but he was fighting a dude with an iron chin. if your only chance is ko’ing max you don’t have any chance imo
Agreed. Which is why I really wanted to see Calvin try to wrestle Max. I don't know too much about his wrestling/grappling, but after taking so much damage I wanted to see him at least attempt a takedown or look to clinch more. I thought I heard his corner yelling "level change" at some points or maybe that was Max's corner warning him?

By today's standards, no.

But thinking of the recent Spencer Fisher article, one of the sacrifices we can make collectively as a sport is to change those standards so that fights like these are stopped sooner, even if it leads to more ambiguity and less violence, because Kattar is definitely going to suffer permanent brain damage after this fight.

Probably, its a really tough call for people to make in the moment. Ref or doctor really need to be the ones who make that call as impartial decision makers.

He did seem pretty coherent after the fight

The worst part was the stupidity of not stopping the fight. If you're going to trade years of your life and take that much damage, at least do it in a title fight or something career defining. Instead, congrats, you pocketed, after taxes and fees, maybe 50k so you can have dementia down the road.

@Zebra Cheeks Can I get a poll my man

Curious your guys thoughts.

Undecided...

He took too much punishment for my liking thinking from a coaching standpoint and his age/length of career left...

But the fighter in me says, if im on my feet and still throwing back which he was...dont stop it i know what i signed up for..as soon as im not fifhting back though...go ahead..

It’s better that it wasn’t stopped. Exposed abc viewers to the just bleed gods, baptized in blood.

I thought they should have stopped it. But it's not a clear cut decision like Glover vs. Smith was for example. Letting him continue is defendable as well.
He still swung back when asked but God Damn man.

Thankfully that 5th wasn't as brutal as the 4th

Yeah... I mean, even Herb might have stopped the fight, easily... especially after that head kick at the end of the round, Kattar was basically out on his feet.

Hell yes. He was done and Literally got CTE in the 4th and 5th Rounds.

But his sacrifice to the JBG is graciously accepted.

giphy-downsized.gif

Yes they should have. Props to Kattar for being insanely tough but he took far too much damage in that fight.

His chin is going to be effected, he probably has a broken rib and he now will have a lot more scar tissue once he heals up.

What the fuck was his corner doing at the end of round 4 when he was sitting on the stool coughing and trying to catch his breath? He couldn't even speak to respond to his corner and yet they sent him back out.

That's fucking criminal.

I voted no, but I’m a blood thirsty dummy..

Back