Shoyoroll Competition Gi, Batch#4 Review

Managed to roll in it tonight.
Overall a good feel. I need to shrink it a bit more, because when I am working off my back or butterfly guard the area around my shoulders opens up and leaves the collar exposed. The white belt that I rolled with tonight was grabbing plenty and holding for dear life. I had a hard time breaking his grips, but because he loved grabbing at it so much and pulling, I just cleared his legs and he would practically pull me into side control or mount. So it worked in a positive way as well.

Couple of guys in class loved the look and the lightness of it. I don't know if it breathes any better than my Padilla, and will try to make a better judgment next time.

I have it in the dryer right now, so We ll see if it is going to shrink any more.

I cold washed the pants and hung dried them and when I remeasured they were 44 inches on the outseam, so I am hot washing and drying them right now to get them back to about 41 inches.

I ll post pictures later tonight.

Shoyoroll, you guys seem to be getting alot of good reviews..especially on the pants. Do you planning on selling the pants seperately in the future?

Shoyoroll, you guys seem to be getting alot of good reviews..especially on the pants. Do you planning on selling the pants seperately in the future?

Yea I think Vince mentioned about releasing some pants mid next year. I am for sure getting a pair.

I just took it out of the dryer and the sleeves shrunk about 1/2 an inch.

The pants I had to throw in the dryer as well, to shrink up a bit.

Here are the newest pictures. As you can see, I removed the patch on the chest. Not a big fan of patches.

DSC04206.jpg

DSC04207.jpg

I think I posted enough about this gi, and will do periodic updates.

I wish I could shrink the body about 1-2 inches, because it is a bit big on me. Maybe I can put on some wieeght too, which would resolve the problem too.:icon_lol:

I just took it out of the dryer and the sleeves shrunk about 1/2 an inch.

The pants I had to throw in the dryer as well, to shrink up a bit.

Here are the newest pictures. As you can see, I removed the patch on the chest. Not a big fan of patches.

I think I posted enough about this gi, and will do periodic updates.

I wish I could shrink the body about 1-2 inches, because it is a bit big on me. Maybe I can put on some wieeght too, which would resolve the problem too.:icon_lol:

Nice update. I think the gi looks better w/out the big patch(which is the reason why I prefer to buy just the pants).

Nice update. I think the gi looks better w/out the big patch(which is the reason why I prefer to buy just the pants).

Thanks man. I like the clean look as well.
Removing the pacth was not a problem at all. You can probably just rip it, because Shoyoroll only used one thread to hold it. I think they figured most people will remove it.

It took me about 2 hours to remove, but that is because I have OCD and wanted to make sure that all the patch pieces, which were stuck under the collar, were gone. I used tweezers to get that shit out. :icon_chee

Ok, I just got home and tried the pants on and these things are the shizz. Almost zero baggyness in the crotch and only a little in the rear. They are also super comfy. Only prob is the stretchy draw string, great idea and all but, it seems mine is fraying already.

Not sure about the fraying, but the stretchy drawstring is one of the things I love about the pants. They actually stay up on me.

Not sure about the fraying, but the stretchy drawstring is one of the things I love about the pants. They actually stay up on me.

I haven't even rolled in it yet and I noticed some fraying on the drawstring just from the few washes I've given it. Like I said in another thread, it's nice but I expected something a little better for this kind of money (in addition to the well-documented off-whiteness and the fraying drawstring, the cut could be a lot slimmer). I probably won't buy another SYR.

Zero fraying on my string after 2 washes. If I see anything go wrong with the gi, I ll post up, but right now, 1 class and two washes and 2 times in the dryer it is fine.

It would be nice if I could shrink the jacket about 2 inches in width. This might happen by just washing and drying it a couple of more times, but I doubt it.

I think that Shoyoroll is working on a slim fit kimono and it would be interesting to see what they come up with.

I am pretty much done with buying new gear for quite some time, so I won't be interested in that one. I have 2 Atamas on the way and have to see how those will be. Those are my last kimonos for now.

We will be releasing a small run on our next batch. Probably about 50 pairs.

Vince,

With the gis being such a success, do you plan on larger runs, or doing a pre-order and ordering above that number so there will be some available to the general public?

Vince,

With the gis being such a success, do you plan on larger runs, or doing a pre-order and ordering above that number so there will be some available to the general public?

Flounder,

For now we like running small batches. This kinds fits our motto of being "rebels against the mainstream" . The biggest reason I like running small runs is it gives us a chance to see all the last run and make changes and not be stuck with 1000 kimonos in stock like some of the bigger kimono companies (koral, kf, atama, keico) and not have the ability to make adjustments. In the near future we may up our runs to 200-300 gi's per batch. But for now we like to keep it to 100 per batch so we can make all the proper adjustments to hopefully have one of the best gi's on the market.

I am pretty sure that Vince talked about it in one of the other 2 Shoyoroll threads. Shoot him an e-mail and see what he says.

We have noticed that not to many kimono companies offer a gi that will cater to somebody around 5-9/6-2 160-190 and make an A3 around those specs that fits more snug. A longer leaner version of the A3. A3 Slim Fit. Until we master getting fabrics woven to allow us to taper the pants more we will have to keep the traditional fit and modify it as much as possible.

We plan on making a few of these on our next run.

Hope that helps.

Gi top:
Man this thing is huge. I don't know why, but I am swimming in it. ... HUUUUGE on me. I am about 170lbs and 6 feet tall. In the pictures you will that I am fairly skinny with long arms and legs, so finding a proper fitting gi is pretty hard for me.

I will have to talk to Shoyoroll about shrinking it, because if it doesn't fit me well I ll have to return it.

Ok, I am 6'1 maybe 6'2 and weigh about 155-160. I also have an A3, and its HUGE. Can wrap it around my self twice. =P (not really, but it seems that way)

The pants... Well, it looks like a size 40 waist... Crazy huge... Scared to shrink it because like the TS I have really long legs and long arms.

I figure an a2 will be too short in arms and legs.

Ok, I am 6'1 maybe 6'2 and weigh about 155-160. I also have an A3, and its HUGE. Can wrap it around my self twice. =P (not really, but it seems that way)

The pants... Well, it looks like a size 40 waist... Crazy huge... Scared to shrink it because like the TS I have really long legs and long arms.

I figure an a2 will be too short in arms and legs.

I bet the sleeves and pants are great in length. I ll keep on posting how much its shrinking but you can see that it wasn't that much.

Shoyoroll, you guys seem to be doing a great job. Hopefully I can get in on the next batch(at least the pants).

The one aesthetic change I would recommend is to leave off the huge patch on at least one future batch. I think an emblem or logo design is cool enough.

I bet the sleeves and pants are great in length. I ll keep on posting how much its shrinking but you can see that it wasn't that much.

oh yeah, damn near perfect.

Ya, every time you posted shrinkage pics, I was thinking... "NOT SEEING THE DIFFERENCE" But I just figured something was wrong with me. I love the gi, but my god its huge.

Back