News Singapore’s government currently banning Russian athletes from competing on ONE events

Sad, it all seems to be a wasted effort, I mean can these athletes get their country to call a cease fire? It seems to be aimed at getting the world more aware of the situation.
According to Russian journalist Lyutikov Shlemenko was the first and seemingly only Russian mma fighter who supported Putin and this special operation. Shlemenko received hate on social media, his wife received threats, his Instagram was hacked and he lost 4000 subscribers.

I mean... Arabs and Muslims have been getting banned from sports for refusing to face/compeate in Israel over Palestine for a long time now. (Which is total bullshit for the record).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/14/algerian-judoka-gets-10-year-ban-for-refusing-to-face-israeli-at-olympics#:~:text=5 months old-,Algerian judoka gets 10-year ban for,to face Israeli at Olympics&text=The Algerian judoka Fethi Nourine,bout against an Israeli opponent.

EDIT: Just for clarification, sometimes these refusals are enforced by their natal countries sport-policies and not individual athleats decisions themselves.

That is apples to oranges though, because those bans are the result of the athlete (either of their own volition or via their country) refusing to compete as per the rules.

In the case of Singapore and ONE athletes, it is a blanket ban by the government on Russian athletes based on their nationality even though everyone is ready and willing to fulfill their professional obligations. If these athletes were supporting Putin or the invasion, I could understand not wanting them in the country. But as far as I can tell none of them have said this.

And no, they shouldn't be obligated to publicly condemn Putin's war any more than a Chinese national on ONE's roster should be have to condemn Xi's concentration camps.

It's bullshit and the comment above about how we're entering another red scare era is spot-on.

Last edited:
That is apples to oranges though, because those bans are the result of the athlete (either of their own volition or via their country) refusing to compete as per the rules.

In the case of Singapore and ONE athletes, it is a blanket ban by the government on Russian athletes based on their nationality even though everyone is ready and willing to fulfill their professional obligations. If these athletes were supporting Putin or the invasion, I could understand not wanting them in the country. But as far as I can tell none of them have said this.

I don't see it that way.

Both actions are fundementally the same -- protests against the slaughter of innocents, either Ukrainians or Palestinians. Wherever it's the Singaporian goverment that takes the action, or Muslim athleats/sport-organizations, is a mote point. What matters is the people being killed and what needs to be done to stop it.

In regards to Russians, is it collective punishment? Yes obviously. But Putin is their leader. So they must reap the consequences of Putin. Russia must be isolated, degraded, and crippled as swiftly as possible for this war to end ASAP. Banning athleats is a perfectly justifiable (though miniscule) step in achieving that. All that is needed, after all, is the end of a senseless war. Seems a small thing to demand, no?

And no, they shouldn't be obligated to publicly condemn Putin's war any more than a Chinese national on ONE's roster should be have to condemn Xi's concentration camps.

I'm not advocating coercing the athelats towards public condemptions.

As for Xi's concentration camps... I think it would be perfectly resonable to ban/sanction China due to these crimes. But this is simple a question of power and luxury. China is powerful enough to avoid sanctions in relation to their crime. Russia isn't powerful enough to avoid sanctions in relation to their crime. It's unfortunate and shouldn't be like that, but that the way it is.

(And yes the same dynamic applies to America/what have you)

Last edited:
Is zelinsky a despotic tyrant? Did the US deliberately bomb civilian targets? Did the US army shell nuclear power stations? It's not comparable in any context whatsoever
The US did bomb civillian targets in Iraq and has bombed hospitals. Also, look up Azov Batalion and you'll see the Ukrainian government isn't all that good. Not saying that what Russia is doing is good but the main stream narrative is quite twisted.

Whenever we travel to a different country we are at the whims of that country's government, to be kicked-out at a moments notice is the way you live while in their country. Banning countries is common in these covid times.

It is not the fighters that are banned it is the country.

Whenever we travel to a different country we are at the whims of that country's government, to be kicked-out at a moments notice is the way you live while in their country. Banning countries is common in these covid times.

It is not the fighters that are banned it is the country.
covid has nothing to do with this.

I wish they would leave sports and the arts alone during these times. These are the things that bring all people together.

Singapore are gormless. They / ONE have been fighting in front of zero fans for about 3 years now, it’s boring.

This ban on Russian dudes is equally as laughable.

Is zelinsky a despotic tyrant?

He's certainly authoritarian.

Did the US deliberately bomb civilian targets?

Russia hasn't done that, and yes, the USA did that all the time.

Did the US army shell nuclear power stations?

Russia hasn't done that.

It's not comparable in any context whatsoever

Yes, it is. The USA is the No.1 warmongering country for the past 60 years.

I mean... Arabs and Muslims have been getting banned from sports for refusing to face/compeate in Israel over Palestine for a long time now. (Which is total bullshit for the record).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/14/algerian-judoka-gets-10-year-ban-for-refusing-to-face-israeli-at-olympics#:~:text=5 months old-,Algerian judoka gets 10-year ban for,to face Israeli at Olympics&text=The Algerian judoka Fethi Nourine,bout against an Israeli opponent.

EDIT: Just for clarification, sometimes these refusals are enforced by their natal countries sport-policies and not individual athleats decisions themselves.

This is not the same thing and you know it. And why the fuck would you start a sentence off with "I mean"?

Translation:

Friends, after all Russian sports, it is especially sad to see the Paralympic Games in this list, the bans have also affected the world of martial arts. Our athletes have already received visas, the necessary list of documents for entry into Singapore. We also received confirmation of the battles in advance. We actively trained, after which we flew to the competition site, settled in, spent the night for a day. The following afternoon, the government banned ONE Championship from allowing Russian fighters to attend the March 11 event. This, of course, violates the well-known principle "Sport is out of politics."

Chatri Sityodtong should from now on hold ONE events outside of Singapore. Fucking government interfering with people's lives...

This is not the same thing and you know it. And why the fuck would you start a sentence off with "I mean"?
The internet is slowly dumbing down and destroying the English language. Ever notice how many people use "though" at the end of a sentence where it doesn't belong?
Chatri Sityodtong should from now on hold ONE events outside of Singapore. Fucking government interfering with people's lives...
While they plan on moving abroad again, saying bye to Singapore forever is ridiculous, and impossible. That's like saying UFC should never return to Las Vegas.

The internet is slowly dumbing down and destroying the English language. Ever notice how many people use "though" at the end of a sentence where it doesn't belong?

While they plan on moving abroad again, saying bye to Singapore forever is ridiculous, and impossible. That's like saying UFC should never return to Las Vegas.
I didn't mean "never". I was not suggesting that the war in Ukraine will never end and that the ban on Russian athletes will last forever.

Is zelinsky a despotic tyrant? Did the US deliberately bomb civilian targets? Did the US army shell nuclear power stations? It's not comparable in any context whatsoever

Depends what you mean by deliberate. Recklessly bomb civilians with flaky intel and then lie about it? Yes, we did that and still do.

Unfortunately, this how you deal with nuclear power countries that invade another country. The world stands up and say F U Putin. With that comes pressure from every angle so the people within that country want to remove Putin. The only way to get that pressure is from within and that causes hard ship on Russian citizens in all walks of life. Most the population of Russia doesn't agree with invading Ukraine. If enough are upset eventually you hope it becomes too much for the dictator to handle and they get removed from within.

my family is Ukrainian and we consider ourselves Russian because my grandparents emigrated the US 70 years before the fall of the USSR.

in most peoples minds the Ukraine is Russia. the state media organs have done a wonderful job trying to convince people that it isn't, because all of the wealthy politicians in the US use the Ukraine for money laundering and bioweapons testing.

it's one massive coverup. i'm not saying what Putin is doing is right, but he was goaded into this war by the intelligence agencies.

Ukraine doesnt seem to think it is Russia.

Sport is and has been for quite some time, an extension of politics.
It was almost always a proxy for politics , as far as I can see, back to the second world war.
However, today, it seems much more so.

Sports bodies at international levels are corrupt as business is skewed with government and sports are funded by XYZ stream of income.

Real sporting competition, I agree, fundamentally should be treated on its own merit but that barely exists at all now, even in a lot of amateur sports where it might otherwise hold true.

Ukraine doesnt seem to think it is Russia.

are you on the ground there, or are you just regurgitating the script read to you by the talking head on your tv set, and the normies on your social media feed?

Back