STARFIELD discussion

i would also recommend new players NOT go unarmed skill tree right away. felt like i needed 5-6 other perks in the same tree to make it viable. but if you want to grind it, go for it

Okay, it's all starting to click now. Got the fast travel down, and I'm now bombing along from mission to mission. Got a nice loop going. Ran into some crafting tables, did some minor base building, understanding the maps more...

I'm in the Bethesda zone, now. It's got me. Although, I will say the missions have all been a bit bland so far. Nothing all that crazy, yet, but they are good multi-tiered missions, with good looting, and the environments are always impressive. Just no big decisions, that make you want to see how they played out differently.
One question I can't seem to get an answer to is if the game is "funny" like Fallout or if it's more serious.

I'm starting to love this fucking game

The only thing is they NEED to add a local area map. Even if it's a shitty one like in Skyrim.

okay one major annoyance I have right now is resources... Stashing this shit can be annoying. The cargo hold in your ship has limits and i hoarded quite a bit exploring a few world. I've hit the limit in my ship cargo storage quite a few times so where do i put it? In the unlimited chest in my constellation bedroom right?

Well apparently that chest is not "magically" linked workstations like the ship cargo storage. So if i want to build something i need the resources on me (or my assistant maybe) or the cargo storage.. THAT is FUCKIN' STUPID!!!! Why is it only linked to the cargo hold storage? At least put a storage box in that basement room so i can dump all my resources to build whatever i need.

Its like they do little shit to make me run back and forth incessantly...

GRRAAAHHH!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

end of rant

I am beginning to think the reason I enjoy playing Bethesda games is because it satisfy the kleptomaniac in me that want to steal everything. I'm spending more time trying to steal everything rather than doing quests and got a class B ship early.

okay one major annoyance I have right now is resources... Stashing this shit can be annoying. The cargo hold in your ship has limits and i hoarded quite a bit exploring a few world. I've hit the limit in my ship cargo storage quite a few times so where do i put it? In the unlimited chest in my constellation bedroom right?

Well apparently that chest is not "magically" linked workstations like the ship cargo storage. So if i want to build something i need the resources on me (or my assistant maybe) or the cargo storage.. THAT is FUCKIN' STUPID!!!! Why is it only linked to the cargo hold storage? At least put a storage box in that basement room so i can dump all my resources to build whatever i need.

Its like they do little shit to make me run back and forth incessantly...

GRRAAAHHH!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

end of rant
Do the Free Star Alliance quest line and get the Star Eagle ship. You get 2000 lbs of storage and a kick ass ship. It's still the one I'm using.

I mainly stuff it with resources and the gear I can't decide if I want to keep or not (I sell everything else). I'm a total clepto, and pack rat, and at level 26 I have about 1400 lbs stored there so far.

Eventually I'll have to add a storage container to my ship, though I plan on building my own at some point.

One question I can't seem to get an answer to is if the game is "funny" like Fallout or if it's more serious.

It's naturally not as wacky as Fallout can be sometimes, but it's got some quirky characters and occasional funny dialogue. It's definitely more "Skyrim" than "Fallout" in tone. If you like Bethesda's writing in general, this is par for the course.

Do the Free Star Alliance quest line and get the Star Eagle ship. You get 2000 lbs of storage and a kick ass ship. It's still the one I'm using.

I mainly stuff it with resources and the gear I can't decide if I want to keep or not (I sell everything else). I'm a total clepto, and pack rat, and at level 26 I have about 1400 lbs stored there so far.

Eventually I'll have to add a storage container to my ship, though I plan on building my own at some point.
Currently have a ship that can carry 4422 stole a ship from the trade alliance in space pretty much built for cargo. Was sitting at 2500 ended up getting one level starship designer hour ago n took my old cargo off and slapped on other the best I could get right now until I can upgrade it again n go from there. Tho I do eventually wanna build my own after I get enough credits

i really hope they didn't put those big decision quest just in the Faction quests
Im level 26 now and so far I've had a number of choices to make, one pretty huge which I'm sitting on and another with even bigger ramifications. They have all been faction related though.

In the bigger one I mentioned you won't know that you made a choice until well after it's made. It catches you off guard and really tries to prevent you from changing things.

l did load an earlier save to mess around with outcomes, but I'd have to almost replay two hours from a hard save, so im eating it. Not enough developers do this, didn't expect it from Bethesda too.

Currently have a ship that can carry 4422 stole a ship from the trade alliance in space pretty much built for cargo. Was sitting at 2500 ended up getting one level starship designer hour ago n took my old cargo off and slapped on other the best I could get right now until I can upgrade it again n go from there. Tho I do eventually wanna build my own after I get enough credits
Nice!

Eventually I want to make something epic from scratch with tons of storage. I dont want to forgo mobility and weapons, so i'll need to level up a bunch of skills.

It won't be long before I run out of space.

In the meantime I might just repurpose that Mantis ship, as it has high level components I'm not qualified to purchase yet.

I love the Star Eagle as is, and really don't want to mess it up, otherwise I'd play around with that.

Nice!

Eventually I want to make something epic from scratch with tons of storage. I dont want to forgo mobility and weapons, so i'll need to level up a bunch of skills.

It won't be long before I run out of space.

In the meantime I might just repurpose that Mantis ship, as it has high level components I'm not qualified to purchase yet.

I love the Star Eagle as is, and really don't want to mess it up, otherwise I'd play around with that.

Yeah, the Star Eagle is awesome, and at first glance looks better than all of the Class B ships I've seen for sale. So the fact that it's a Class A is amazing.

I've made a couple minor mods to mine. Exchanged out the Battle Station Pod and swapped it out for a Science and Work Station so I have all of the crafting benches on my ship. Also swapped out the cockpit since the stock ones vision was really obstructed and hard to see.

The Hunter
is absolutely kicking my ass.

<36>

Im level 26 now and so far I've had a number of choices to make, one pretty huge which I'm sitting on and another with even bigger ramifications. They have all been faction related though.

In the bigger one I mentioned you won't know that you made a choice until well after it's made. It catches you off guard and really tries to prevent you from changing things.

l did load an earlier save to mess around with outcomes, but I'd have to almost replay two hours from a hard save, so im eating it. Not enough developers do this, didn't expect it from Bethesda too.
nice, i've already done the main story line so i'm just flying to planets, scanning them and then dropping down on some. i don't want to get caught up in Faction stuff just yet. My fav quest has been from the main story line so far

The Hunter
is absolutely kicking my ass.

<36>
lol i went unarmed run and got some skills that helped so i just punched them and they'd be stunned and then they'd get back up and I'd punch them again and they get stunned again. Damage for unarmed is not great so took awhile lol

IMO they do need to make some changes in their Open World RPGs and not buying it would make that change but I don't think it's going to happen for awhile. It's like Call of Duty people want changes with that and people say don't buy it but it goes off and gets big sales. I feel people on the internet that talk about playing games are a minority of people who play games overall

IMO they do need to make some changes in their Open World RPGs and not buying it would make that change but I don't think it's going to happen for awhile. It's like Call of Duty people want changes with that and people say don't buy it but it goes off and gets big sales. I feel people on the internet that talk about playing games are a minority of people who play games overall

Other than tightening up some...err..."Betheda-ism" performance related issues, I honestly don't know what they could change for the better, other than just continuing to tinker with certain systems. Their brand of Open World RPG, is still so far ahead of most everyone else.

I'm early game. Just started playing today, seven hours or so, level 5, did a thingy in our solar system.

I decided to go through a chunk of the main story, because I read that it starts off slow and takes a while to unlock everything. I'm waiting for fast travel to be available, basically. Sneak is my first priority so far, followed by ballistics.

It reminds me of a more basic No Mans Sky in a little way, but that's not the main comparison. Instead, it reminds me of a blander but broader-in-scope Outer Worlds, with some space combat and NMSish surveying mixed in.

With that said, I have enjoyed my time with Starfield so far. It presents quite an intriguing story, it looks okay, characters so far are likeable and I get the impression that there are things waiting around the corner. I think that once I can fast travel more and explore all areas, instead of following this bloody long tutorial, I'll level up and enjoy it a lot more.

With that said, it starts very slowly. There is a little bit of combat, but it comes and goes so fast that it seems like the bulk of my time has been spent talking to characters and navigating menus.

Navigating menus is shit by the way. Menus to equip and unequip, to scan planets, to go here and there, to land and take off, and to deal with constant encumberment. A lot of my time was spent in the inventory screen and the galaxy map, and it got tiresome quickly. Am I screwing up? Can I just set a route and go like in Elite Dangerous?

Space combat is basically like in every other space game that I've played. Charge guns first at the enemy, then circle around him until the little red dot around the receptacle makes way for the little ship to come into view. Gun part is quite cool though. I'd like to invest more in my ship and the skills for it. Maybe become a bounty hunter?

I'm going to keep at it tomorrow. Some parts of it are annoying, but it does have its charm.

Last edited:
Jumped into a random system and got jumped by a band of Crimson pirates, one of which was a high level Hyena freighter looking ship. Took a few reloads to pick off the smaller ships and disable the engines to board it. Ship was huge with like 15 spacers guarding the halls over the usual 2~3 from smaller ships. Clear the ship and get excited to steal a big ole freighter. try to sit in the Captains Chair and it tells my I need higher level skill to pilot.

Not sure if it will still be there if I jump, so I save and make a small jump and the new system exp boosted my level so I took the Class B ship perk and jump back. Thankfully the ship was still there and crew dead. Jumped back to the pilot seat..... you need to increase your pilot level to fly this ship. Gah!!!

Spent the next few hours scouring for ships to kill 30 to unlock the Class C licenses. Only have 2 ships to go and really close to another level, so thinking I'll get both at close to the same time. Have made some huge jumps looking for dog fights, so hoping the ship will be back. If not I've already been saving for the one of the big Class C ships, so will just pick up one of those.

Back