Street Harassment in NYC

That woman is a douche. A lot of those were just "Have a good day" and she ignores them. As for the rest, what do you expect with an ass like that in jeans that tight. Cant do that shit in the presence of athletic and explosive gentlemen and not expect some complements about your figure.

Before you guys make a fool of yourselves calling that girl a hypocrite - she did not produce this video. She is just a HIRED actress by this guy: https://twitter.com/robblissgr

The whole thing was conceived solely to spread virally, and the mission to "end street harassment" is just an afterthought [or a ploy for even more money].

Everyone is playing right into his hands and making him richer with every comment posted and video shared.

We live in a troll-based economy, where people monetize outrage.

Thats a lot of money if they monetized that video. Youtube averges around $1 per thousand views and that video is over 20 mill...so thats like...$20 grand?

It can be harassment depending on many factors.
No, either it is harassment or it's not. A polite greeting can never be harassment, ever.

Imagine being in her shoes and all the people saying those things to you were gay guys. Imagine they said it in the same tone as those men in the video. Wouldn't you feel harassed?
Why would I feel harassed? A polite greeting from a gay guy checking me out is still just a polite greeting. When I was in Fort Lauderdale I accidentally walked through the apparently gay part of the beach and got a few "cat calls". When I was waiting for my female companion in a bar some gay guy approached me and the "I'm waiting for my girlfriend"-line basically ended that encounter. I don't feel harassed, I find it funny.
Sure, constant unwanted attention can be annoying. But 6 minutes out of 10hours=600 minutes is just 1%. 1% of the time a chick with a curvy body and 34DD's on display is getting "harassed"? That's actually better than I would have thought.

A lot of that isn't harassment, but I could understand it being annoying if it happens to you constantly. Some men can be pushy and can't take a hint.

One of my friends is a very good looking and he used to get women's numbers quite a lot when we were younger by talking to them randomly on the street. He got shot down quite a few times, but always nice and politely (when I was there anyway). I bet the amount you get labelled as a harasser is directly correlated to how attractive you are.

Shit like that trivializes feminism and real sexual harassment.

What an age we're living in when you're not allowed to socialize as a men. Thinking every guy greeting and complimenting her wanted to have sex is the real sexism here, towards men.

Last edited:
It's actually pretty uncomfortable when unattractive chicks catcall you.

Not at all. Ugly broads have nothing to lose, so they'll just vocalize what other women are thinking. It's a good confirmation.

Shit like that trivializes feminism and real sexual harassment.

What an age we're living in when you're not allowed to socialize as a men. Thinking every guy greeting and complimenting her wanted to have sex is the real sexism here, towards men.

I think the one ray of hope out of all of this is that most people seem to think this is BS.

This is really what it's all about, though.

The women who feel the most oppressed are the women who are the most privileged. They've cast aside the fact that they're white, wealthy, educated, able-bodied, and attractive (all benefits to varying degrees) and they've decided the fact that they're female means they are the most oppressed people in the world.

Many of these women are my colleagues and you simply can't believe the mental gymnastics they engage in to prove that they have it the hardest. It's insane and embarrassing and I wouldn't give two shits about it if it wasn't affecting legislation.

I've worked around primarily women for years and very frequently get "What a nice smile" or "look at those arms" or shit from ladies all the time. It's meant in good faith and it's a little thing they do to show they appreciate me. But there's a small percentage of lonely and hateful people (of both genders) that are dead set on making upper-middle class attractive white women think they're the most endangered demographic in America and, unfortunately, many women buy it and it's making a headache for all of us.

hmmm... a woman believing feminists when they use inflated rape and violence against women stats makes her paranoid? shocking

walking down the street in constant fear. how empowering.

Depends on the area, there are areas in my town I literally will not go to regardless of the time of day. Even in the nicer part of town I was eye fucked up and down walking out of a 7-11 the other day by 3 guys. If you don't think that would make a woman on her own feel uncomfortable then you know the wrong women.

man, shit is 10x worse in corporate America.

I used to work for CBS & I shit you not, it was like working with fossils, stepping back into the stone-age. I was noticeably one of the youngest employees there who wasn't an intern working with a bunch of senior aged old timers protected by unions.

that said, women & gays were treated like absolute shit. I remember this one female graphic artist ask my old boss for a favor & he completely breaks out of his "professional work mode" & answers "sure, if you lay down on top of this filing cabinet (positioned dead center of the room), pull up your skirt & grab your ankles for me I'll do anything you want". she just uncomfortably laughed & turned away.

now that shit is straight fucked up.

I know for a fact women deal with shit like that on the regular including this broad, she should be getting footage of situations like that.

I used to work for CBS & I shit you not, it was like working with fossils, stepping back into the stone-age. I was noticeably one of the youngest employees there who wasn't an intern working with a bunch of senior aged old timers protected by unions.

that said, women & gays were treated like absolute shit. I remember this one female graphic artist ask my old boss for a favor & he completely breaks out of his "professional work mode" & answers "sure, if you lay down on top of this filing cabinet (positioned dead center of the room), pull up your skirt & grab your ankles for me I'll do anything you want". she just uncomfortably laughed & turned away.

I know for a fact women deal with shit like that on the regular including this broad, she should be getting footage of situations like that.

Now that is undebatable harassment.

^^ haha dude, I almost got into a fist fight with my old boss TWICE, where he put his hands on me trying to provoke me both times. we're friends to this day, & in the end working there paved path for a better career for me.

I had a grievance with my employer a few years ago, guy (who happened to be my ex's brother) was making dodgy phone calls to me. They found out through the logging phone system that it was him as he was making them from work. Long story short my boss actually told me to file for sexual harassment if they didn't fire him because what I'd always considered banter with the higher ups would be deemed completely inappropriate if I took them to a tribunal. I didn't do it, and I wouldn't but I could've sued them for thousands.

Depends on the area, there are areas in my town I literally will not go to regardless of the time of day. Even in the nicer part of town I was eye fucked up and down walking out of a 7-11 the other day by 3 guys. If you don't think that would make a woman on her own feel uncomfortable then you know the wrong women.

I would agree that it makes you (and many other women - including my wife) uncomfortable but I think the problem many guys in this thread are having is with the difference between harassment and you feeling uncomfortable.

Literally, anything can a person feel uncomfortable. For instance, a poorly timed joke about the elderly might make a listener who's just lost their grandmother feel uncomfortable. But is it fair to call the joke an act of harassment?

It just seems a bit of a stretch to completely ignore the intent of the speaker when labelling behavior harassing. A compliment, even poorly delivered, is rarely said with the goal of making the woman uncomfortable. It defeats the entire purpose of delivering the comment. So, the woman can be annoyed, frustrated, uncomfortable and more but that doesn't make it harassment, to me, unless the goal is to make her feel that way.

To be long winded, I'd suppose the argument exists that men know that women are uncomfortable and that continuing to make comments with all we now know, thanks to the Interwebz, means that those guys have the intent to harass but I have issues with that argument which I'll save for another post (or not at all - it's going to be a long day)

I get uncomfortable watching other people feeling uncomfortable

I would agree that it makes you (and many other women - including my wife) uncomfortable but I think the problem many guys in this thread are having is with the difference between harassment and you feeling uncomfortable.

Literally, anything can a person feel uncomfortable. For instance, a poorly timed joke about the elderly might make a listener who's just lost their grandmother feel uncomfortable. But is it fair to call the joke an act of harassment?

It just seems a bit of a stretch to completely ignore the intent of the speaker when labelling behavior harassing. A compliment, even poorly delivered, is rarely said with the goal of making the woman uncomfortable. It defeats the entire purpose of delivering the comment. So, the woman can be annoyed, frustrated, uncomfortable and more but that doesn't make it harassment, to me, unless the goal is to make her feel that way.

To be long winded, I'd suppose the argument exists that men know that women are uncomfortable and that continuing to make comments with all we now know, thanks to the Interwebz, means that those guys have the intent to harass but I have issues with that argument which I'll save for another post (or not at all - it's going to be a long day)

The only reason it makes them uncomfortable is because men are large and most women have no way to protect themselves. It's why I try not to make the analogy of gay men catcalling straight men. Straight men are never really worried about their physical safety.

It's easy to look at a man and forget that he's someone's boy. That's all we are. We're large boys. We like girls and we like it when girls pay attention to us and think we're cool. Many of my female friends are elementary teachers and they tell me all the time about boy students that compliment them or say they're "hot" or whatever and not only do they not discourage it, they think it's the cutest goddamn thin on the planet.

Well those boys will grow up and some of them will gain weight and get ugly and take low-paying jobs, but they'll still derive pleasure from complimenting women and getting a smile from a pretty girl. The intent is unchanged.

I agree the term harassment in the instance of the video has been way overstretched save the guy who literally wouldn't leave her alone. BEER and potentially Al Gorithm know the areas I won't walk if I'm on my own here in Norfolk though. And if this video somehow reaches them they'll either think to back off a bit or it'll make them even more sleazy in their approaches. I'm not sure if it's helping or hindering to be honest.

i can symphatize, i wouldnt want my woman or potential daughters dealing with unsolicited approahes from countless men, i can imagine it's tiresome and sometimes scary.

women are weak, brittle creatures. emotionally weaker but physically they are laughably weak, like male children. i am always worried - there's so much fucking scumbag men who will exploit it, and women can't analyze and shouldn't analyze mens intent.

i can respect the paranoia. "the gift of fear" is very real in my mind, for a woman.

I completely understand with this situation, but does it constitute harassment if i come up to a girl in a bar and tell her she is beautiful? Making cat calls and i trying to personalize the situation i guess makes the difference.

i can symphatize, i wouldnt want my woman or potential daughters dealing with unsolicited approahes from countless men, i can imagine it's tiresome and sometimes scary.

women are weak, brittle creatures. emotionally weaker but physically they are laughably weak, like male children. i am always worried - there's so much fucking scumbag men who will exploit it, and women can't analyze and shouldn't analyze mens intent.

i can respect the paranoia. "the gift of fear" is very real in my mind, for a woman.

you make women sound like porcelain dolls with the mentality and emotions of someone with Down Syndrome.

Women are a lot more capable than most people give them credit for.

A vast majority of men/people aren't the abusive assholes the video tries to make them to me. Of those that are, most are just insecure individuals more like a dog chasing a car, if a woman actually responded positively to their advances the guy would probably piss himself. Of course there are always nut jobs out there, but there have always been nut jobs that all people need to be wary of, not just women.

So sorry if I don't feel sorry for attractive women having to practice situational awareness, because it's something everyone should practice.

Back