Striking> Grappling

Barbozas kicks are good, but his hands (boxing) are shit/overrated.

Hard to say any base is dominant given theres no set criteria to get into the big leagues (usualy americans where wrestling is in most high schools ) and generaly most of the best strikers have yet to go to mma en masse

This sport is still in its infancy people and thats an exciting thing!
One day more prime elite boxers will cross over (when the pay split between fighter and promoters becomes more comparable)
Thailand is finaly allowing mma there so a massive pool of elite pure muay thai guys exposed to it now!
More elite tkd ,judo and karateguys will slowly filter through!
More olympic class wrestlers are getting interested.
Bjj is still growing and its now got varied pro leagues
Catch seems to be making a mma caused comeback (although painfuly slow)
And then theres the slew of kids comming up who've never trained anything but mma

All in all its be stupid to declare any base 'the best' all we have so far is in its current stage a lot of guys the u.s based ufc and bellator select are all local (american) where wrestling is in every highschool plus the sort of person who ends up in mma generaly liked combat sports anyway so probably was wrestling as a kid before mma

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate.
Ergo - Karate is THE BEST base for MMA. :D

I believe that wrestling is the greatest base for growing pro MMA athletes in USA, because it's a huge amateur sport that you can start young and get a lot of experience of real competition. And because it's such a competitive sport, people who get to the top will be great athletes. It's not so much about wrestling skills being more important than striking. As already mentioned, you need to be able to deal with everything if you want to succeed.
Most intelligent reply in the thread.

Also, if you have a larger pool to draw from you will have a larger number of examples from that pool.

But when it hits the ground Brazilian Jiu-Jistu is more important.

Figures a Conor fan would make this thread.

Fact is, wrestling is a better base as you can dictate where the fight takes place. If you can control your opponent and negate his offense, you will win.

It just happens to be that all the successful fighters you listed all have great TDD aside from Conor and Silva.

To be a successful striker, you have to have great TDD as well, or face only opposition who aren't grappling/wrestling based.

have significant strengths and don't let yourself get exploited by your weaknesses. given the mma landscape it's comical to just suggest one form is dominant.

Wrestling has always been the greater base, see Gracie vs Hughes
Wow never thought that one example could make the case so easily. Thx.

2nbrjmf_medium.gif

Demian+Maia+Neck+Cranks+Rick+Story+UFC+153.gif

Who cares when did they learn wrestling as long as they actually use it inside the cage? What's important is what they use inside octagon and if fighter isn't able to showcase art of wrestling he is at big disadvantage. Saying wrestling is not important because GSP learnt it later in life and was still succesful is just silly. That doesnt disprove importance of wrestling in MMA.

So what if GSP didn't come from collegiate wrestling? He still had to learn and USE them wrestling moves in octagon and that is what matters and that is why wrestling IS important in MMA. Being able to defend from takedown is a big(gest) must. Securing one is nice but you can still be succesful if you're accomplished striker. But if you cant TDD, youre not eligible to compete at highest level.

I hear all the time. "Wrestling is the best base for MMA". I disagree. Maybe before when nobody knew how to defend a double leg. But now if you are a high level striker you have the advantage over these part time strikers in MMA. And the evidence is in the UFC.

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate. He became the best wrestler while training all the MMA arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling etc. Another example is another GOAT Anderson silva. He has 11 straight title defences and came from a muy thai background. Jose Aldo was Mostly a Dutch style kickboxer. 10 title defences.

Other examples include. Conor Mcgregor. Jr Amatuer boxer and mostly all striking. 2 Weight UFC champ. Joanna J. Muy thai world champion 5 title defences In UFC. Cro Cop. I mean the list goes on.

In my not so humble opinion. Best base is Boxing/ Kickboxing. Then spend years learning TDD an you are good because you will outstrike the part time striker in MMA.
The numbers completely disagree with your narrative my friend.

Here's the trouble with threads like this, everybody knows that you don't train. He'll, you don't even know what you've watching. Wrestling is dominate, period.

I hear all the time. "Wrestling is the best base for MMA". I disagree. Maybe before when nobody knew how to defend a double leg. But now if you are a high level striker you have the advantage over these part time strikers in MMA. And the evidence is in the UFC.

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate. He became the best wrestler while training all the MMA arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling etc. Another example is another GOAT Anderson silva. He has 11 straight title defences and came from a muy thai background. Jose Aldo was Mostly a Dutch style kickboxer. 10 title defences.

Other examples include. Conor Mcgregor. Jr Amatuer boxer and mostly all striking. 2 Weight UFC champ. Joanna J. Muy thai world champion 5 title defences In UFC. Cro Cop. I mean the list goes on.

In my not so humble opinion. Best base is Boxing/ Kickboxing. Then spend years learning TDD an you are good because you will outstrike the part time striker in MMA.

Ask Barboza how your theory holds up after his last two fights.

You need both, striking and rassling.

unless you can pick your fights, such as conor

Here’s the trouble with comments like these. We know you don’t write much. At least not properly. Hell, you don’t even know what you’re writing.

Dominate .... NATE.
“He domiNATED his opponent.”
“I will dominate all noobs.”

Dominant ..... NANT. (nint)
“He is dominant.”

Actually it has more to do with me not double checking what my phone's spell check did, but go with whatever makes you feel better.
You still don't train. Go to a gym, you'll feel better.

Strikers rule only when they can stay on their feet

Grapplers rule only when they can get the fight on the ground

That's why Stipe is so damn good, he's probably the best striker with a high level wrestling base. In fact, I think he's easily the best striker with high level wrestling.

GSP entered the UFC with ZERO wrestling credential. He was a second degree black belt in Kyokushin Karate. He became the best wrestler while training all the MMA arts like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling etc.

So basically what you're saying is, in order to become great at MMA, he needed to learn wrestling?

Hmmm...

Then spend years learning TDD an you are good because you will outstrike the part time striker in MMA.

So basically what you're saying is, in order to use your striking (or anything else) in MMA, you need to learn wrestling?

Hmmm...

The thing that doesn't get pointed out enough is that mma gets way higher level wrestlers than strikers. There aren't really any pro organizations for wrestlers to join, while there are for strikers

Back