SUMO - 2024 Hatsu Basho (Jan 14th - Jan 28th)

Takerufuji Yusho in his Juryo debut. Let's see how he does vs Hakuoho and Waka in March.

Nervous start by Kotonowaka but he played that perfectly. Waited for the perfect moment to push, then pull Kirishima's head down, change angles and then push Kirishima out.

Kotonowaka vs K1 Tobizaru tomorrow for Ozeki promotion.

Man, I thought Kotonowaka was too nervous but he deserves that win and possible promotion.
The Kirishima inconsistencies coming through again

Probably Teru Yusho tomorrow. even if they need a playoff.

So Kirishima having lost today, if he wins tomorrow at 12-3 probably doesn't become yokozuna.

Could he still make yokozuna if he wins the yusho though? He has to beat Teru on the final day.
And even if he doesn't win the yusho, I think 12-3 would be enough to keep his yokozuna bid alive in the March tournament, right?

Way too many fusensho wins this tournament.

So Kirishima having lost today, if he wins tomorrow at 12-3 probably doesn't become yokozuna.

Could he still make yokozuna if he wins the yusho though? He has to beat Teru on the final day.
And even if he doesn't win the yusho, I think 12-3 would be enough to keep his yokozuna bid alive in the March tournament, right?

Way too many fusensho wins this tournament.
if he wins the tournament with defeating Teru, and inevitably having to defeat Kotonowaka as well, i think he gets it.

Teruyusho, all is right in the world.
Food for thought that young Kotonowaka, future ozeki, gave Terunofuji a better fight than yokozuna candidate Kirishima, who got tossed like a child out of the dohyo by the kaiju.
None of the ozeki are ready for the Yokozuna spot.

I knew he was going for it, as he has before, but still... what a wonderful ball of creativeness Ura is.

Ozeki Kotonowaka incoming!

Aaaand that is why Kirishima, along with anyone else, has no right to be Yokozuna. If you're an Ozeki and you're 0-10 (now 0-11) against Terunofuji and he just throws you like he's throwing garbage out of his window, then you don't deserve to be the same rank, it's that simple. At least Kotonowaka gives it a real go.

Great shot of Terunofuji fist bumping Takerufuji and the boys.

Teruyusho, all is right in the world.
Food for thought that young Kotonowaka, future ozeki, gave Terunofuji a better fight than yokozuna candidate Kirishima, who got tossed like a child out of the dohyo by the kaiju.
None of the ozeki are ready for the Yokozuna spot.

I swear on everything i care about that i did not read your post before i wrote mine.

Phew, you love to see it wrap up like that. Terunofuji looking dominant, and the lifting-out of Kirishima was imperious.

Kotonowaka looked great as well, and gave Terunofuji an excellent challenge, but in the end can't beat the big man.

Love seeing Terunofuji looking so strong again.

And Ura's tsutaezori.... You could see it coming from a mile away, but still so amazing. For fun, here's a highlight of a couple of them from Ura (one from him as a very young wrestler), and Asashoryu pulling one off in a less controlled manner:

I saw someone saying Terunofuji's Win loss record against Takakeisho, Hoshoryu, Kirishima, Kotonowaka, Asanoyama is 40 wins 4 losses not counting fusen

I believe those 4 losses are all Takakeisho

I saw someone saying Terunofuji's Win loss record against Takakeisho, Hoshoryu, Kirishima, Kotonowaka, Asanoyama is 40 wins 4 losses not counting fusen

I believe those 4 losses are all Takakeisho
yes, currently the record of three of the ozeki against the yokozuna, besides the hamster, is basically zero victories.
today's bout was the 11th kirishima loss in a row. he never even got close to winning against the big man. it's a horrible statistic. if tomorrow Teru would retire, the next tokozuna might well be a dude that could never beat the former yokozuna. a downgrade if i ever saw one.

fucking shodai defeated the yokozuna this basho, ffs.

yes, currently the record of three of the ozeki against the yokozuna, besides the hamster, is basically zero victories.
today's bout was the 11th kirishima loss in a row. he never even got close to winning against the big man. it's a horrible statistic. if tomorrow Teru would retire, the next tokozuna might well be a dude that could never beat the former yokozuna. a downgrade if i ever saw one.

fucking shodai defeated the yokozuna this basho, ffs.
We try not to count Shodai's chaos magic. It works in mysterious ways.

I realized it wasn't going to happen for Kirishima when I saw he had a losing record against Tobizaru

I realized it wasn't going to happen for Kirishima when I saw he had a losing record against Tobizaru
yeah, i mean tobizaru's not even a komusubi gatekeeper, he's a m2 type of rikishi. entertaining guy but come on.
if THAT gives you trouble, forget about being yokozuna.

yeah, i mean tobizaru's not even a komusubi gatekeeper, he's a m2 type of rikishi. entertaining guy but come on.
if THAT gives you trouble, forget about being yokozuna.
Yeah I think that highlights that despite how long Sumo has been around and how many people have competed there's only ever been 73 people who made the rank of Yokozuna. Though those first I think were retroactively awarded the title.

But one of the things I read when I got into Sumo initially is that the gap from Ozeki to Yokozuna is much harder than going from Maegashira to Ozeki and these current Ozeki perfectly highlight that.

Back