Swimmer gets disqualified for celebrating

Should he have been disqualified?

• Total voters
true, but on the other hand, due to the ACC's fuckup, millions of people are now aware he won when that would not have happened otherwise. Silver lining.

Silver lining indeed.

ryan-lochte-not-going-home.gif
Imagine if Ryan played in the NFL. The team would have covered up his actions, and even after they were revealed by investigative reporting, it would have slapped a stiff 2-day suspension on him before showering him with a $200m contract the very next season.

In the world of swimming, he became a pariah. His name was disgraced.

Imagine if Ryan played in the NFL. The team would have covered up his actions, and even after they were revealed by investigative reporting, it would have slapped a stiff 2-day suspension on him before showering him with a $200m contract the very next season.

In the world of swimming, he became a pariah. His name was disgraced.

If he played in the NFL, his name would be the least of his worries.

sheldon-brown.gif

Dumb rule, but they must have a reason for having it. But Breaking even dumb rules is dumb. Not knowing they are rules is even more dumb.

Definitely silver lining. I never knew this was am event. 1 mile in a pool is crazy. I thought the most they did was like 5 laps. To swim 1 mile is hard. To race other swimmers for that distance is insane. Didn't realize they did this at Olympic level let alone collegiate

Other swimmers have come out and say this rule isn't enforced often. And when. It is, it's for going into the lane of someone that isn't finished. He got screwed big time.
Now this is total BS. He went to his teammates lane after the race. Cut the guy a break.

The rule is obviously for not crossing into another lane during competition and not interfering with other swimmers while they're still racing.

While his actions were technically breaking a rule, he was done racing, and the other competitor's lane he went into was also done racing.

The official that disqualified him is an absolute cunt of a human being.

So unfortunate that the official was never shown on camera & named. They so deserve the scorn they would receive.

Other swimmers have come out and say this rule isn't enforced often. And when. It is, it's for going into the lane of someone that isn't finished. He got screwed big time.
It depends on how anal retentive the head S&T official is, but moreso on the meet. Every swimmer understands to mind their P's and Q's at more elite, formal meets.
The rule is obviously for not crossing into another lane during competition and not interfering with other swimmers while they're still racing.

While his actions were technically breaking a rule, he was done racing, and the other competitor's lane he went into was also done racing.

The official that disqualified him is an absolute cunt of a human being.

So unfortunate that the official was never shown on camera & named. They so deserve the scorn they would receive.
That's what the spirit of the rule is intended to prevent, but even that is stupid. I saw dozens of swimmers disqualified for this rule over the course of my career when I was younger, and for the life of me, I can't recall a single time the disqualified swimmer was actually interfering with anyone's race. The only times I ever saw a similar rule enforced where I thought it was justifiable was some relays where swimmers from the winning team who had already raced, and were cheering on their teammate, got overly excited when they won, and jumped into the pool to celebrate with their teammate who took the race home before the other teams were done. Just lost in the moment. That creates quite a bit of wake in the immediate area. Can't do that.

Competitive swimmers are athletic and rarely carry much fat, obviously, but even so, there are some pools out there with a really deep waterline and an obnoxious gutter system that make it a bit of a bitch to just climb out from your lane unassisted. It was usually at pools like that where I saw a distance swimmer, where the winner often finishes many laps ahead of stragglers, rather than wait until the race was over, or a teammate to come over and offer a hand, just take the path of least resistance, and swim under the lane lines over to step ladders which are almost always along the side of the pool near the ends. That's when you find out if you've got a rules Nazi on your hands.

It depends on how anal retentive the head S&T official is, but moreso on the meet. Every swimmer understands to mind their P's and Q's at more elite, formal meets.

That's what the spirit of the rule is intended to prevent, but even that is stupid. I saw dozens of swimmers disqualified for this rule over the course of my career when I was younger, and for the life of me, I can't recall a single time the disqualified swimmer was actually interfering with anyone's race. The only times I ever saw a similar rule enforced where I thought it was justifiable was some relays where swimmers from the winning team who had already raced, and were cheering on their teammate, got overly excited when they won, and jumped into the pool to celebrate with their teammate who took the race home before the other teams were done. Just lost in the moment. That creates quite a bit of wake in the immediate area. Can't do that.

Competitive swimmers are athletic and rarely carry much fat, obviously, but even so, there are some pools out there with a really deep waterline and an obnoxious gutter system that make it a bit of a bitch to just climb out from your lane unassisted. It was usually at pools like that where I saw a distance swimmer, where the winner often finishes many laps ahead of stragglers, rather than wait until the race was over, or a teammate to come over and offer a hand, just take the path of least resistance, and swim under the lane lines over to step ladders which are almost always along the side of the pool near the ends. That's when you find out if you've got a rules Nazi on your hands.
You had a swimming career?

I think that cost Australia? a gold medal at the Olympics. It was the celebration of choice in the mid 2000s. Then jumped in while there were still racers there and got DQed

The rule has been around forever and everyone knows it and I think people understand why it's there. The only thing that confuses me is all these long races where the leaders finish minutes ahead of the tail. What the heck are they supposed to do to get out? Tread water until everyone else finishes? Someone provide me some insight lol

Most likely this is a hard rule in that sport. No going into another lane. I assume he didn't know that was a rule after a clear win.

Pretty sure he knows the rule and go caught up in the moment.

I think that cost Australia? a gold medal at the Olympics. It was the celebration of choice in the mid 2000s. Then jumped in while there were still racers there and got DQed
Losing an Olympic gold is ridiculous. Wow you didn't win but here is the Olympic gold. Imagine the odd feeling on the podium while they start your national anthem knowing everyone will question your gold.

He won by so much he could have hopped out toweled off signed an autograph and there was still someone else swimming. But look if that’s the rule then why all the whining. Learning lesson for him to follow the rules. Everyone knows he really won so it’s not going to impact him in any significant way emotionally

He trained hard for his victory.. he earned it.. he dominated.. he had a right to own it.

Losing an Olympic gold is ridiculous. Wow you didn't win but here is the Olympic gold. Imagine the odd feeling on the podium while they start your national anthem knowing everyone will question your gold.
It wasn't the Olympics. It was the 2001 World Championships. The women's 4x200m Freestyle Relay. They weren't the only ones who got disqualified. The only team that came close, the Americans, were disqualified for an illegal changeover, but then immediately reinstated with video evidence, before a further appeal meeting that was created to handle the controversy surrounding the Australians upheld the original ruling. An "illegal changeover" is when the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th swimmer in the relay takes off too early-- before their teammate has touched the wall. That's by far the most common cause of disqualification in relays at the elite level.

ACC just cant stop getting fucked by the NCAA

<Lmaoo> <Lmaoo> <Lmaoo> <Lmaoo>

Back