Swimmer gets disqualified for celebrating

Should he have been disqualified?

• Total voters
At first I thought rules are rules and he deserved it. But @haysus31 's passionate defence has changed my mind and I hope they reverse the decision and give him the win.

I didn't read through the thread, but the kid that got the medal because of the disqualification was just as disgusted as most people ITT about the stupid lame/ celebration rule.

He said he wasn't the champ, wouldn't stand on the podium, and would give up his medal

I didn't read through the thread, but the kid that got the medal because of the disqualification was just as disgusted as most people ITT about the stupid lame/ celebration rule.

He said he wasn't the champ, wouldn't stand on the podium, and would give up his medal

Good for him. I wouldn't be able to stand there after winning like that. It's one thing if he broke a rule that gave him an advantage. This disqualified him after he clearly won.

it was the NWO hand sign at 0:57 that forced the officials hands

It wasn't the Olympics. It was the 2001 World Championships. The women's 4x200m Freestyle Relay. They weren't the only ones who got disqualified. The only team that came close, the Americans, were disqualified for an illegal changeover, but then immediately reinstated with video evidence, before a further appeal meeting that was created to handle the controversy surrounding the Australians upheld the original ruling. An "illegal changeover" is when the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th swimmer in the relay takes off too early-- before their teammate has touched the wall. That's by far the most common cause of disqualification in relays at the elite level.

My bad. I remember it happening, I just couldn't remember the specific event

My bad. I remember it happening, I just couldn't remember the specific event
No, that was a hell of a pull, I had forgotten about that completely. I knew it wasn't the Olympics, but I remembered it was a major event during the days of Thorpedo and Klim.

They should give them all an extra medal for competing against men.

No, that was a hell of a pull, I had forgotten about that completely. I knew it wasn't the Olympics, but I remembered it was a major event during the days of Thorpedo and Klim.

Yep I remember it was that era too. Klim's not in great shape these days

Really makes you wonder if those judges have ever competed in their lives

The rule is the rule. I see both sides of it. I don't know, is there actually room for any discretion to be applied? It's clear as anything the guy broke the rule. What happens if the guy in second place wasn't as magnanimous?

The only times I ever saw a similar rule enforced where I thought it was justifiable was some relays where swimmers from the winning team who had already raced, and were cheering on their teammate, got overly excited when they won, and jumped into the pool to celebrate with their teammate who took the race home before the other teams were done. Just lost in the moment. That creates quite a bit of wake in the immediate area. Can't do that.

Maybe that's their justification?

The fact that he went over the divider and jumped into the lane next to him created a wake that could've interfered with the next guy down?

The fact that he went over the divider and jumped into the lane next to him created a wake that could've interfered with the next guy down?
Nah. He didn't disrupt anyone's race.

In some ways, I look at the enforcement of this rule the way I look at the lack of enforcement of coaches or teammates on the sidelines encroaching on the basketball court. Technically, they're not supposed to do that, yet coaches do it dozens of times every game that I watch in college or the NBA. Sometimes guys on the bench, too. Every single instance could be a technical foul or even an expulsion. But we rarely see the refs come down on violators, and usually, I've been screaming at the zebras on the TV screen for half an hour to tell some jackass to get off the court before I even see a warning.

Unlikely to have affected it. I remember watching a video/new article way back when about how the design of the lane dividers was supposed to stop wakes.

Nah. He didn't disrupt anyone's race.

In some ways, I look at the enforcement of this rule the way I look at the lack of enforcement of coaches or teammates on the sidelines encroaching on the basketball court. Technically, they're not supposed to do that, yet coaches do it dozens of times every game that I watch in college or the NBA. Sometimes guys on the bench, too. Every single instance could be a technical foul or even an expulsion. But we rarely see the refs come down on violators, and usually, I've been screaming at the zebras on the TV screen for half an hour to tell some jackass to get off the court for half an hour before I even see a warning.

All it'll take is a referee to have a bad day and start making that calls. For those that know cricket, refer to Darrell Hair calling Murali for no balls.

I feel it comes down to the sport a bit too and whether there is any discretion allowed. Sports with referees accept that there is "opinion". ie. is it a foul or in mma, are the hands on the mat weight bearing. I don't know enough about swimming to know if there is such a thing.

Gotta think if he wasn't a SWM it wouldn't of been called an much more outrage.

He won he celebrated a little an fell into a lane of a swimmer that had finished right behind him it has zero impact on race.

It's like calling slight hold on the superbowl winning play n nullifying a TD for a mi or hold occurring on other side of field.

At beggining i thoight it was just celebration but this make it more clear that he was interfearing with what 5th place swimmer but still need to be disqulified but it is record as well

Back