Tactically the best hand weapon

The two best for NON GUN's were done called. A hatchet ( I own the ' Cold Steel ' knock off of the Vietnam Tomahawk, sometime called the Ranger Tomahawk ) I like it, got a smaller chopping blade and an oppisite end spike. And the Khukri, though I don;t own, I have played with one. And they are great for whacking off what-ever gets in the way of them. Be it hands, arms, necks, banana plants, vines, Fedor... though he would likely take it away from me and shove it... anyway. Them is both great choices. IMO.

00 Buck said:
I got mines from Himalayan Imports.

Just don't buy any of those cheap stainless steel ones. Stainless steel is too brittle to be used on the big blades...

The penny chopping doesn't work when I put the coin on a phone book, the book absorbs too much of the force. On a wooden board however... :cool:

Edit: try chopping a penny in half with a stainless steel one and the thing would probably snap near the tang area & the blade will be flying into random directions...

Well well, someone who knows where to get their Kukris from. This should look somewhat familiar then. (This is my HIK)

2-22-7%20007.jpg

17" Chiruwa Ang Khola with all silver fittings and walnut handle made by Sgt. Khada. Love doesn't begin to describe my feelings for this thing. I've got a Cold Steel junk kukri in my truck, but this baby gets to stay in my bedroom.

aries said:
:icon_surp A knife over a gun. I wouldn't chose a knife over a sword or a spear let alone a gun!
A knife would beat a gun in most self defence situations.

Unless you are an expert at knife throwing or in a close combat situation.

There is no way in hell a knife is better than a gun.

A lot of good a knife will do if someone has you in their sights from 500 meters away.

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of the knife, but over all I will take a gun.

I think it would be easier to get off on self defense if you take someone out with a knife and they were armed with a gun.

nopardaid said:
No gun, other than that what would be your choice of "battle type" back up weapon ie, Braveheart style.
I have been thinking either a regular hachett or Gurka. I think hatchett because it is heavier and can crush as well. It's only drawback, is that it could possibly get lodged in the skull and get stuck.
Gurka would be ok, but I don't think it would be as effective.
Your choice?

Secondary to a gun?

A knife.

It goes back to caveman days.

Friggintitsman said:
Unless you are an expert at knife throwing or in a close combat situation.

There is no way in hell a knife is better than a gun.

A lot of good a knife will do if someone has you in their sights from 500 meters away.

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of the knife, but over all I will take a gun.

I think it would be easier to get off on self defense if you take someone out with a knife and they were armed with a gun.
Most self defense situations dont start from 500 meters away. They start with two guys close enough to kiss eachother really. And the knife is quicker to draw and much easier and faster to use. Like I said, a knife would beat a gun in most self defense situations.

Arnis_7788 said:
Most self defense situations dont start from 500 meters away. They start with two guys close enough to kiss eachother really. And the knife is quicker to draw and much easier and faster to use. Like I said, a knife would beat a gun in most self defense situations.

Right.

That is where most of these "thugs" make a mistake. A gun is meant for range so if you have one then utilize that advantage.

A friend of mine was held at gunpoint on a really bad side of town. He knew that if he gave up his car he was dead anyway. The kid stepped just a little too close and and ended up getting pistol whipped with his own weapon. The cops showed up and took the kid to jail and my friend lived to tell us the story.

Arnis_7788 said:

Depends on how much practice you have with either...

Against a drawn knife would I rather have a knife, or my 45?

I'd rather have a .45 in my hand than another knife!

7-8 rounds of .45 ACP into center mass in about 2 seconds is hard to beat!

00 Buck said:
Depends on how much practice you have with either...

Against a drawn knife would I rather have a knife, or my 45?

I'd rather have a .45 in my hand than another knife!

7-8 rounds of .45 ACP into center mass in about 2 seconds is hard to beat!
A gun only has a edge over a knife at a large distance. And most self defence situations dont start out at enough distance for a gun. If you're going to go around killing people then yeah a gun would be better.

Arnis_7788 said:
A gun only has a edge over a knife at a large distance. And most self defence situations dont start out at enough distance for a gun. If you're going to go around killing people then yeah a gun would be better.

no, against a drawn knife from like 5 feet away I'd still want my .45 in my hands. The only way the knife is better is if the pistol is not drawn yet and the victim is surprised from a close distance.

Are you telling me that if someone is coming at you with a knife from about 5-10 feet away you WOULDN'T want a pistol in your hands? What would you rather have? a bigger knife? lol

Actually a sword would probably be better for you than a handgun in this situation but who can conceal a freakin' sword...

nopardaid said:
No gun, other than that what would be your choice of "battle type" back up weapon ie, Braveheart style.
I have been thinking either a regular hachett or Gurka. I think hatchett because it is heavier and can crush as well. It's only drawback, is that it could possibly get lodged in the skull and get stuck.
Gurka would be ok, but I don't think it would be as effective.
Your choice?

I have modified Short Sword, that fits right across my back which a coat can conceal. I'm not likely to wear it around town thought, so my standard Survival Knife will do nicely for most situations.

Giving further thought on this, I almost forget my basic hand weapon that is concealable and suits most needs, my expandable baton.

00 Buck said:
no, against a drawn knife from like 5 feet away I'd still want my .45 in my hands. The only way the knife is better is if the pistol is not drawn yet and the victim is surprised from a close distance.

Are you telling me that if someone is coming at you with a knife from about 5-10 feet away you WOULDN'T want a pistol in your hands? What would you rather have? a bigger knife? lol

Actually a sword would probably be better for you than a handgun in this situation but who can conceal a freakin' sword...

Connor and Dunkin McCloud

Short range weapon of choice: .45 Caliber Desert Eagle w/hollow tip bullets
Long Range weapon of choice: Barrett M107 .50 Caliber sniper rifle w/explosive rounds.

Barrett M107 .50 Caliber sniper rifle will kill you a 1.5 miles away. Even w/o explosive rounds, it destroys all things in it's way. When the bullet hits you, there is no more "you" left.

Seriously, this is a great combination. This is like Duke Nuke'm Technology. A sword doesn't block a .45 bullet. And being exploded with a .50 Caliber sniper rifle with accuracy 1 mile away... a tomahawk doesn't do that. Ridiculously powerful guns>>>>>>>>> then everything else.

given the recent events in virginia, I am reminded that courage is the best self-defense weapon. if you think about it, if somebody is fucking around with people, it takes a lot of guts for joe average to jump in and hurt another individual in the name of goodness.

not saying anything about the people involved of course, but this reminded me of the guy that stopped columbine by tackling the fuck outta the guy.

Back