The 1980's was a magical time

Yes and no. THere was the whole Ryan White, Kimberly bergalis, Arthur Ashe angle. By the end of the 80s there was a growing risk in the heterosexual community.

To the guy above who said chicks were giving out pussy, I don't think you're keeping up with modern times. It's not like POF and tinder existed on USENET in 1987.
Could go to the mall, arcade etc find chicks and be fingerbaging in an hour.
Deep in the guts later that night.

I think it was actually easier.

I was born in 82 but shared a room with my brother that was 8 years older than me so I grew up listening to his music, hanging around his friends, watching what he wanted....usually HBO or Howard Stern.

The 80s were definitely a magical decade. I remember leaving the house every summer morning around 10 to hang out with my best friends that lived down the road. We'd ride bikes, build forts, play sports, etc and come back home around 9 or 10. We'd stop in one of our houses to grab food periodically...it was basically the wild west. We used our imagination...we lived outside. Today's kids are a joke.

They did...it failed miserably.
that_80_s_show_v2_by_vamps1-d9v2thl.png
They need to do it right. There's plenty of good material from the 80's to draw from.

I was born in 82 but shared a room with my brother that was 8 years older than me so I grew up listening to his music, hanging around his friends, watching what he wanted....usually HBO or Howard Stern.

The 80s were definitely a magical decade. I remember leaving the house every summer morning around 10 to hang out with my best friends that lived down the road. We'd ride bikes, build forts, play sports, etc and come back home around 9 or 10. We'd stop in one of our houses to grab food periodically...it was basically the wild west. We used our imagination...we lived outside. Today's kids are a joke.

I was the same growing up, but when I was 5 my friend crossed the road and got killed by a car (a nurse on her way to work ironically)...it was dark and not her fault as he ran out.

Not to mention the amount of fights and shit we'd get up to, playing on building sites etc. Shit, a group of my friends even set fire to a pedo's house lol.

I'd never let my kids out of my sight today. In hindsight while we figure our freedom growing up was a great childhood...I am sure there are plenty of kids out there who have been fucked over by gangs, pedos etc

Recess was the shit in the 80's. You got a problem with someone you wait til recess and fuck them up. If you don't have a problem with someone you still get the opportunity to fuck someone up.

smear-the-queer.jpg

I was the same growing up, but when I was 5 my friend crossed the road and got killed by a car (a nurse on her way to work ironically)...it was dark and not her fault as he ran out.

Not to mention the amount of fights and shit we'd get up to, playing on building sites etc. Shit, a group of my friends even set fire to a pedo's house lol.

I'd never let my kids out of my sight today. In hindsight while we figure our freedom growing up was a great childhood...I am sure there are plenty of kids out there who have been fucked over by gangs, pedos etc

That is the gamble for sure man. I had that same incredible childhood of playing all day every day outside with tons of other kids. Nothing bad ever happened to me but it did to plenty of other kids.

A lot of truth here. I think people forget that kids used to just go missing in the 70s and early 80s. I never hear about that now unless it's like statewide alert or national news. THere was all kinds of fucked up stuff.

I tell my kids that very little was better back in the past -- except for NCAA basketball. Fuck one and done, I want to see Patrick Ewing play at Georgetown for 4 years.

I disagree with not letting my kids out of your sight. I try to get my kids out of the house. With smart phones, GMaps and stuff, it's so much easier to contact them and for them to get help. I would disappear for 10 hrs and I can't imagine my parents knew where I was. Even worse I would travel with people for sports that my parents knew nothing about for days at a time. I was 15 when I went to Europe for most of the summer and lived with the brother (and his family) of a family friend. By 17 I was gone for 3months.

On the topic of kids being safe in the past, I would say there was a lot of shady stuff in sports with coaches in the past. Nothing ever happened to me but I can remember coaches touching kids in ways you could never do today (and that's a good thing!). I remember one kid quitting our football team and a couple of us wondered whether it had something to do with a creepy coach. Imagine all the shit that went on that you never knew about.

I went to college in the 80s. Good times indeed!!!

Thinking about the 80s right now...

P.S.

Robert still sounds pretty good.

A bazillion likes for No Easy Way Out. My all time favorite Rocky song. I can run an extra mile with gusto when they song hits my ears...

Great live take on the guitar solo at the end too. Sounds like Clapton on the guitar.

Back