The cost of greatness

I had a conversation with a friend about Ali once. My friend thought he was stupid for continue fighting despite being told not to fight and eventually getting Parkinson's. I said Ali wouldn't be Ali if he wasn't the type of guy to quit. He's a fighter and the kind of "idiot" he is what made him special. Most sensible people would probably stop, but most sensible people probably wouldn't have accomplished anything nearly as remarkable. If Ali was the kind of person who would listen to advice to quit, you likely never would've heard about him.

Its his life and he lived it his way, no one else's opinion really matters at all

I was going to say, all that matters is how Ronnie Coleman feels about it.

Well, yeah... obviously up to the individuals, but I'm asking your thoughts if you think it's worth it. Would you sacrifice livelihood, longevity, mobility, etc. If it meant you'd live on in the history books.

I suppose it's one of those things that is hard to truly know what you'd do.

Well, yeah... obviously up to the individuals, but I'm asking your thoughts if you think it's worth it. Would you sacrifice livelihood, longevity, mobility, etc. If it meant you'd live on in the history books.

I suppose it's one of those things that is hard to truly know what you'd do.
Absolutely, but if you end up infamous like the OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, is that not worse than death?

Absolutely, but if you end up infamous like the OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, is that not worse than death?

Absolutely, I agree. But some people don't mind infamy as long as they go out "remembered". That's why some of those homicidal maniacs write manifestos and hope to be remembered in the media... luckily we've got into the practice of not saying their names (which I love).

Arnie was arguably lucky to get out of body building before it progressed to the stage were your long term health was more likely to be comprimised.

Being happy in the current moment is most important to me. To maintain that happiness through life is my goal. I wouldnt want to live happy for the next 10 years to surrender my happiness for the 10 after.

He still works out and uses a wheelchair to get around. It seems like he is still living life and adapting. It doesnt seem like his spirits are broken or anything and he remains positive and happy doing what he loves to do in the gym. Not like he is confined to a bed or anything

I once ate a 40 oz porterhouse and couldnt shit for 3 weeks, so yah, I know a thing or two about the cost of greatness.

Its his life and he lived it his way, no one else's opinion really matters at all
It was his life. And it was now or never. He ain’t gonna live forever. He just wanted to live while he was alive. It was his life.

His heart was like an open highway. Like Frankie said, “I did it my way” He just wanted to live while he was alive. It was his life.

Ronnie is a good case study on the psyche of high-level competitive athletes; willing to sacrifice anything to reach the summit. The man's insanity is masqued by his down-to-earth, funny guy from the south, demeanor.

Arnie was arguably lucky to get out of body building before it progressed to the stage were your long term health was more likely to be comprimised.

Bodybuilding jumped the shark in the 90's, IMO. A lot of guys from that era either aren't with us, or have had serious health issues. And even those guys probably weren't taking absurd amounts of insulin and GH, like today. Unfortunately, it's probably gonna get worse before it gets better,

Last edited:
There's always a tradeoff for greatness. However, using Ronnie as the example, look at someone like Dorian Yates. Arguably a greater bodybuilder than Coleman, and look at how he's blossomed in his later life, both mentally and physically.

Levan Saginashvili is another guy who will almost certainly pay for his "Greatness"

I saw a post on IG about Ronnie Coleman. For those of you who do not know, Ronnie Coleman is regarded as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time... probably right after Arnold.
UluHSsP.png

After years of abusing his body as well as some surgeries, Coleman can barely walk anymore.
3ceApeP.png

It is a sad sight to see! :(

Anyway, some people were saying he shouldn't have gone so hard back in the day. Of course it's the internet and people will always end up fighting. Some people clapped back at those saying Ronnie pushed himself too hard with:

"He was Mr. Olympia, what have you accomplished?!" :mad: and other such insults.

I don't think suggesting Ronnie overdid it an unfair point. Just like Ali would've probably had a normal remainder of his life if he didn't fight as long, but then again would his legacy be the same?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? These men's names will live and their legacy will last for generations! However, they paid the price in their later years. Unlike normal, every day people who do not suffer as much physically but live otherwise unremarkable lives.

If they had the option, would these folks take it back?

I even think of people like Tupac. If he didn't have this "Thug Life" persona, and ran up on those dudes in Vegas (among other things), he probably wouldn't have died so young. But then again, he probably wouldn't be the Tupac today who is on the Rapper Mt. Rushmore. Let's face it... if 'Pac didn't die a the tender age of 25, he wouldn't have the same legacy as he does today (in my opinion).

But I digress. Anyway what do you think. Is it worth it?
Be careful what you wish for whether it's Trump winning the presidency, or Ali being "The Greatest" or MJ being "The King Of Pop". Is it worth it? only they could tell you, and they might not be honest about it, ali said, "you bet I would" in reply to someone saying even if he'd known how damaged he'd be, he'd have done everything the same.
The thing is, you don't have to end up like that if your humble and smart enough, it's a case of being addicted or traumatized by something I think that makes these guys so driven. Addicted to the limelight maybe. Some people suppose Elvis was "oppressed" by his fans. He acted like it but he loved his fans. At the same time, he took a lot of steps not to deal with the outside world because it was too much.

There's always a tradeoff for greatness. However, using Ronnie as the example, look at someone like Dorian Yates. Arguably a greater bodybuilder than Coleman, and look at how he's blossomed in his later life, both mentally and physically.
yes, but that's because of his mentality and his ability to find other things in life to care about. He was a true great champion in terms of just being so mentally resolute about what he believed that he would seem to be a guy who could walk away. He says he can't even press 135 now, fuck, doesn't seem to bother him though.

Zero movement in neck and back...horror.
what about that other guy flex wheeler I think his name was who had hid foot amputated? These guys are addicted, it's that simple. It's no different than a food or a drug addict who just can't stop their activity.

I saw a post on IG about Ronnie Coleman. For those of you who do not know, Ronnie Coleman is regarded as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time... probably right after Arnold.
UluHSsP.png

After years of abusing his body as well as some surgeries, Coleman can barely walk anymore.
3ceApeP.png

It is a sad sight to see! :(

Anyway, some people were saying he shouldn't have gone so hard back in the day. Of course it's the internet and people will always end up fighting. Some people clapped back at those saying Ronnie pushed himself too hard with:

"He was Mr. Olympia, what have you accomplished?!" :mad: and other such insults.

I don't think suggesting Ronnie overdid it an unfair point. Just like Ali would've probably had a normal remainder of his life if he didn't fight as long, but then again would his legacy be the same?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? These men's names will live and their legacy will last for generations! However, they paid the price in their later years. Unlike normal, every day people who do not suffer as much physically but live otherwise unremarkable lives.

If they had the option, would these folks take it back?

I even think of people like Tupac. If he didn't have this "Thug Life" persona, and ran up on those dudes in Vegas (among other things), he probably wouldn't have died so young. But then again, he probably wouldn't be the Tupac today who is on the Rapper Mt. Rushmore. Let's face it... if 'Pac didn't die a the tender age of 25, he wouldn't have the same legacy as he does today (in my opinion).

But I digress. Anyway what do you think. Is it worth it?
There are plenty of bums who never did anything with their life that at some point can't walk, have dementia, etc.

Living life is all about what you choose to give up and what you choose to focus on.

Over enough time everything goes away. Opportunities go away, loved ones go away, eyesight goes away, your own breath goes away and never comes back. Make sure you get what is valuable to you before that happens.

what about that other guy flex wheeler
currently recovering from an October 2019 emergency surgery which resulted in a partial leg amputation, and he’s documenting the whole process on Instagram.

I had a conversation with a friend about Ali once. My friend thought he was stupid for continue fighting despite being told not to fight and eventually getting Parkinson's. I said Ali wouldn't be Ali if he wasn't the type of guy to quit. He's a fighter and the kind of "idiot" he is what made him special. Most sensible people would probably stop, but most sensible people probably wouldn't have accomplished anything nearly as remarkable. If Ali was the kind of person who would listen to advice to quit, you likely never would've heard about him.
pretty much what my take has always been, if they believed what the naysayers said, they'd have quit before they got started. One of my favorite Ali interviews is the one before the Berbick fight where it's obvious to everyone but him that he has brain damage, but yet and still, the spirit is still the same, the very same. The way he thought and his wisdom that we could all use,(people lose their wives and give up on life, instead of going and getting another one) simple, true stuff about having a spirit that no one can take. and once you've beaten Liston, Frazier, Foreman, who's a Larry Holmes or a Trevor Berbick?

Bodybuilding jumped the shark in the 90's, IMO. A lot of guys from that era either aren't with, or have had serious health issues. And even those guys probably weren't taking absurd amounts of insulin and GH, like today. Unfortunately, it's probably gonna get worse before it gets better,
it deserves it's own place in a mental health diagnostic manual really.

Back