The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v3: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
j8fQr0P.jpg

Lol I was just remembering the Nexus 4's specs. Pretty sure the iPhone will have much better battery though.

The sad thing is I will probably still buy the iPhone 6 for the mac integration.

Smartwatch are simply useless so far. The Apple Watch looks great (imo) but it's just not a very compelling device category at this point. Maybe in 10 years when it fully replaces the smartphone and we use glasses as the screen or something...

The iPhone 6 Plus was much needed, once I started using a Note I knew I couldn't go back to anything smaller tbh, phablets are the best. That said I'll keep my Note 3 this year, the 4 is a pretty small upgrade overall and the Gear VR is probably a few years away from being ready (but already seems much more compelling than smartwatches imo).

Haha. Sometimes I forget how literal text based communication can be taken. I retract the word "definitely" from my post about Apple's new watch. ;-)

How has the Apple cult responded to this product so far? Is this a must have device?

abc_apple_watch_kb_140909_16x9_992.jpg

10406-2626-8aa859f5717a1a5c80a1c2b723a0734fa39b84f1_large_2x-l.png

One thing I got out of that Apple show was they know how to make a watch. Others have done their own watches but they look like they where designed by engineers. The apple watch has a traditional watch design yet is loaded with computing power. That being said I believe that Apple is suffering from a brain drain.

It seems with each new product introduction their leadership role seems to shrink. Of course I seen the Note stuff and the watches already done but Apple makes this tech work better then anyone else and that is the point people buy Apple.

But lately their tech does not seem to inspire the same excitement as they did in the past. I was hoping for Apple TV "TV set", VR, wireless gesture recognition "that works as advertised" and a good and powerful gaming home computer that sits between the enter level Mac and the crazy expensive top of the line model.

It seems they are so consumed with their phone business that they spend a lot of time and effort trying to tweak it instead of reinventing it.

Last edited:
Is the "new" phone at least waterproof?

No but then again I don't think its yet a priority for customers because if it was Apple would have implemented it.

People really want to bath with their phones...huh.

Lmao, yeah such a stupid feature to throw in when trying to argue phones.

It's not unreasonable to want an expensive (not expensive to me but to poor people who can only afford phones on contracts) electronic device to be waterproof. Waterproofing phones should be standard by now.

I just can't wrap my head around spending hundreds of dollars on a product built by a company that got hacked so recently. Is iCloud getting hacked just not a big deal? I'm not very tech savvy, so maybe I'm worrying a little too much about their network security being compromised...is there something I'm missing?

It's not unreasonable to want an expensive (not expensive to me but to poor people who can only afford phones on contracts) electronic device to be waterproof. Waterproofing phones should be standard by now.

Meh, it should be standard but I won't throw that in as a make or break feature for one or another.

I know accidents happen but it's really not hard to keep your phone from getting water damage. I'm around potential situations involving water almost daily and have never dropped anything into it, let alone a $1000 device.

Sturdiness would be a better selling point than water resistance

Meh, it should be standard but I won't throw that in as a make or break feature for one or another.

I know accidents happen but it's really not hard to keep your phone from getting water damage. I'm around potential situations involving water almost daily and have never dropped anything into it, let alone a $1000 device.

Sturdiness would be a better selling point than water resistance

It's not a make or break feature, but when you add it to the other features Apple hasn't added yet it shows how behind they are in certain areas.

A lot of people have damaged their phones due to spills. Maybe the folks who don’t have kids don’t understand the value. Given specs-wise most phones are about the same I figured if I’m gonna upgrade some things I want are: expandable memory via microSD, swappable battery, and waterproof. I really really like the HTC One M8 and its really the most beautiful phone out there but from what I can see the only phone that fits the bill right now are Samsungs.

I just can't wrap my head around spending hundreds of dollars on a product built by a company that got hacked so recently. Is iCloud getting hacked just not a big deal? I'm not very tech savvy, so maybe I'm worrying a little too much about their network security being compromised...is there something I'm missing?

Does that mean you don't buy your underwear at Target anymore?
Don't buy your tools at Home Depot?
Invest at JP Morgan?
Listen to banjo music on Spotify?
Don't use an Android phone?
Don't file your taxes with the IRS?
Don't buy your father any presents from Neiman Marcus?
Don't sell your used toys on Ebay?
Never eat at PF Changs?
Don't use Evernote to task yourself with things?
Don't eat Domino's Pizza?

Does that mean you don't buy your underwear at Target anymore? NO
Don't buy your tools at Home Depot? CASH
Invest at JP Morgan? NO
Listen to banjo music on Spotify? NO
Don't use an Android phone? NO
Don't file your taxes with the IRS? YES, no choice
Don't buy your father any presents from Neiman Marcus? NO
Don't sell your used toys on Ebay? NO
Never eat at PF Changs? NO
Don't use Evernote to task yourself with things? NO
Don't eat Domino's Pizza? GROSS