The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

I would suggest the Huawei P10. Flagship specs with (almost)midrange price. Huawei really screwed the new P10 buyers by slashing the price from $600 to around $420 because they're about to release the Mate10.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p10-8514.php

gsmarena_001.jpg
Thank! What networks can this be used on?

I purchased one of those IR blasters that fit in the headphone jack. It's not as convenient as the built-in ones. That's also why I'm keeping my LG G4 for a while. It's nice to have that IR blaster.
Problem solved dude.
I bought one of these

Orvibo Smart WiFi Wireless Infrared Remote Control IR Controller Smart Home Automation Magic Cube

You don't need a phone with ir anymore, this device has an ir transmitter AND a ir receiver. The great thing with that is all you have to do is point whatever remote you have at the thing and you it will store the code automatically making it hassle free . All you need is Internet to control the device and it will broadcast the ir signal you want to all the devices in the room. So you can switch on or operate any device remotely without being at home even.
They're not too expensive at the 20 dollar range and there are several brands. I've been using mine and it's excellent.
Will be buying the Note 8 soon now that this long standing problem is solved.

Last edited:
Problem solved dude.
I bought one of these

Orvibo Smart WiFi Wireless Infrared Remote Control IR Controller Smart Home Automation Magic Cube

You don't need a phone with ir anymore, this device has an ir transmitter AND a ir receiver. The great thing with that is all you have to do is point whatever remote you have at the thing and you it will store the code automatically making it hassle free . All you need is Internet to control the device and it will broadcast the ir signal you want to all the devices in the room. So you can switch on or operate any device remotely without being at home even.
They're not too expensive at the 20 dollar range and there are several brands. I've been using mine and it's excellent.
Will be buying the Note 8 soon now that this long standing problem is solved.

That'll work at home and it's great that you have a solution for yourself.

For me, it's nice to have the IR blaster built in the phone so that when I travel, I can use it to control other devices. When I'm at a bar, I can't be annoying and start changing channels on the TV.

That'll work at home and it's great that you have a solution for yourself.

For me, it's nice to have the IR blaster built in the phone so that when I travel, I can use it to control other devices. When I'm at a bar, I can't be annoying and start changing channels on the TV.
That's not something you do often so i guess an ir dongle should be good for that when you need it. Not much choice, i hear the ir sensor will be phased out mostly by the next year or two . LG was the only major player that was including it in their phones but now they've dropped it from their flagship V30 too.

That's not something you do often so i guess an ir dongle should be good for that when you need it. Not much choice, i hear the ir sensor will be phased out mostly by the next year or two . LG was the only major player that was including it in their phones but now they've dropped it from their flagship V30 too.

Yeah, sadly, the IR blaster is becoming less common. It's just one of those features that's nice to have. Xiiaomai and Huawei are the only ones left to have several models with IR blasters, but I'm not sure how available they are in the US market and whether their bands will be compatible with US LTE ones.

Windows 10 Mobile is dead. This is the final nail. Microsoft is getting out of the smartphone game. They couldn't parlay desktop dominance into smartphone sales.
Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Mobile Is Finally, Mercifully Dead
ExtremeTech said:
Microsoft has finally acknowledged for good what the rest of us have known for some time. Windows 10 Mobile has bought the farm, kicked the bucket, left the building, and passed on. Said in that particular order, it makes it sound as if the OS is perhaps enjoying a well-deserved retirement after some years delivering rural mail to an ever-shrinking customer base.

In corporate speak, of course, things are not so expressive. In a recent series of Tweets, Joe Belfiore, Microsoft’s Corporate Vice President for Windows, confirmed Windows 10 Mobile is dead. While the company will continue to offer bug fixes and corporate support for pre-existing accounts, there will be no new feature updates or rollouts.

Of course we'll continue to support the platform.. bug fixes, security updates, etc. But building new features/hw aren't the focus.
1f61f.svg
https://t.co/0CH9TZdIFu

— Joe Belfiore (@joebelfiore) October 8, 2017

Windows 10 Mobile’s fans, of which there are at least several, argued this was evidence that Microsoft had variously dropped the ball at points in the Windows 10 Mobile rollout, which is both true and false. On the one hand, CEO Satya Nadella made it clear he didn’t have much use for mobile when he took over the company from Steve Ballmer. On the other, Windows Phone was already on life support when Nadella got the job. Claiming that Microsoft should’ve continued pumping out hardware in perpetuity ignores how Windows Phone and Windows Mobile had peaked at some point prior to when Nadella got the job and began declining thereafter. There was no point at which Nadella could argue he was even seeing the hint of a turn-around.

We have tried VERY HARD to incent app devs. Paid money.. wrote apps 4 them.. but volume of users is too low for most companies to invest.
2639.svg
https://t.co/ePsySxR3LB

— Joe Belfiore (@joebelfiore) October 8, 2017

Companies with product lines in steady decline may still invest in their ecosystems if the existing user base is large or rich enough. But even this strategy has its limits. Microsoft could afford to continue investing in Windows 10 Mobile, but what would be the point if customers weren’t moving to the platform? Microsoft might have had a ghost of a chance of expanding its market share if Windows 10 Mobile had been feature-complete on the same day Windows 10 launched, but it wasn’t. Then Redmond spent a year mostly destroying its own reputation by trying to cajole, trick, and force people into upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 on to Windows 10 on the desktop. I’m not saying this was the reason Windows 10 Mobile didn’t succeed, but I’m certain it didn’t help.

The biggest single problem with Windows 10 Mobile was that the unified Windows session data and portability it offered arrived five years too late. If Windows Phone 7 had been built with lightweight versions of Continuum or “Pick Up Where I Left Off,” Redmond might’ve been able to stave off iOS or Android altogether. Plenty of people didn’t have smartphones yet in 2010 or 2011, which means they weren’t really locked into a new ecosystem. A flawless Windows integration would’ve been appealing to many customers. The problem, of course, was that Microsoft had no real provision for that kind of switch. Previous iterations of its mobile operating systems had used Windows CE, which had a very different codebase than the then-current Windows 7.

There are other things Microsoft could’ve tried to do differently, like supporting more devices with upgrades from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8, but I’m not sure how much they would’ve mattered. The big-picture features that would’ve given Microsoft a real use-case against upstarts like iOS and Android required a level of integration mobile devices of the day might not have been able to handle, no matter how lightweight the company tried to make them. By the time the hardware and software stack were both ready, the majority of mobile customers weren’t looking for a new operating system. Bearing the entire cost of designing and bringing a high-end product to market was never going to be attractive to Nadella, not without some concrete sign that a market existed for it. That sign never appeared.

It’s hard to blame Microsoft for not being willing to continue to chase a market that wasn’t interested in what it was selling. Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile were better operating systems than they got credit for being, but they weren’t in the right place at the right time. There will be no Surface Phone riding over the horizon with the calvary.
@TeTe

I like the headphone jack. Why get rid of it?

Android will be the eventual winner.
Indeed.

As American's disproportionate wealth declines, so does Apple's strangle hold on the software markets. Once that's gone, their stranglehold on the high-profit margin flagships will also disappear. Android already owns the rest of the world. They're probably more worried about what China is going to do in the future once it has developed its own platform. That could/will be a huge setback when they decide to fully pull the plug on Android.

They're commies. It's coming. It's inevitable.

Windows 10 Mobile is dead. This is the final nail. Microsoft is getting out of the smartphone game. They couldn't parlay desktop dominance into smartphone sales.
Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Mobile Is Finally, Mercifully Dead

@TeTe
LOL I missed this before.

I dunno, it's looking less and less like the Surface Phone will happen. Oh well, I'll keep this Lumia 950 for a while though.

I actually wanted to bump this see if anyone got a Pixel 2 yet? Eventually I'll probably get one of these to replace my phone... just sucks I'll have to buy an unlocked one at full price in order to activate it on ATT's network.

Absurd:
Apple 'Confirms' iPhone X Expensive Price Rises
Forbes said:

Gordon Kelly
, CONTRIBUTOR

Apple AAPL +2.28%’s iPhone X is the most expensive iPhone ever made, but excitement over its radical redesign and extreme supply shortages have combined to push anticipation to fever pitch. But that anticipation may be tested after Apple confirmed it’s newest iPhone will be even more expensive than buyers expected…

Apple made the announcement after iPhone X pre-orders had already sold out worldwide (which took only minutes). Quietly updating its iPhone service pricing page, Apple revealed repairing an iPhone X display will cost $279 while “other damage” will be charged at an eye watering $549. This is far more than similar repairs for an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus.

Apple
iPhone X (left) is where buyer interest lies, but it has new hidden costs...

The full breakdown of comparable costs is as follows:

• iPhone X - $279 (screen), $549 (other damage)
  • iPhone 8 Plus - $169 (screen), $399 (other damage)
  • iPhone 8 - $149 (screen), $349 (other damage)
  • iPhone 7 Plus - $169 (screen), $349 (other damage)
  • iPhone 7 - $149 (screen), $319 (other damage)
  • iPhone 6S Plus - $169 (screen), $329 (other damage)
  • iPhone 6S - $149 (screen), $299 (other damage)
But this is only the start. Given the higher repair costs, Apple has also increased the cost of its AppleCare+ insurance policy for the iPhone X. It is priced at $199, compared to $129 (iPhone 8) and $149 (iPhone 8 Plus).

If you purchase AppleCare+ you will be entitled to two damage repairs over two years but they do come with premiums: just $29 on top for a cracked display, but a more significant $99 for any other damage. In theory this all adds up because just one broken screen in two years would result in a total charge of $228 with AppleCare+ or $279 without it - pretty close.

But there’s a problem. AppleCare+ treats the equally vulnerable glass back as “other damage” so if you drop your iPhone X and both the front display and glass back break that’s $128 on top of your $199 policy. Yes nasty, but at least you also get 24/7 priority access to Apple support.

Apple
AppleCare+ for the iPhone X comes with a premium price, so do repairs

Furthermore you really don’t have a choice. Why? Because the same front and back repair without AppleCare+ would cost you an eye watering $828, and all these prices are before tax.

Unfortunately this is the true cost of adding wireless charging because the aluminium back every iPhone has had since the iPhone 5 (2012) had to be removed because it is an insulator. If you don’t care about wireless charging this change may be a bitter (and expensive) pill to swallow.

But that is only half the story.

Assuming AppleCare+ is essential and you’d also like to take advantage of the wired fast charging at your home and office or maybe have fast wireless charging in one of those locations, the cost of the iPhone X will sore. Unlike all its rivals, Apple doesn’t include a fast wired charger in the box and this optional fast charger doesn’t include the necessary USB-C cable (which is different to the Lightning cable Apple does bundle).

All of which means you are looking at the following prices before tax:

• iPhone X - $999 (64GB) or $1,149 (256GB)
  • AppleCare+ ($199)
  • Fast wired charger - 29W ($49)
  • Lighting to USB-C cable - 1m ($25) or 2m ($35)
  • Apple AirPower charging matt (TBC 2018 - expected $99-$149)
Assuming you want the works, the minimum outlay here would be $1,371 (64GB, AppleCare+, fast charger, 1m cable, cheapest AirPower price) or $1,581 (256GB, 2m cable, max AirPower expected price). This also excludes the price of your mobile phone contract.

Now assume you drop your iPhone X once in two years which damages the glass front and back screen. Then, excluding the cost of your phone contract, you’re looking at $1,499 (64GB) to $1,708 with AppleCare+ or $2,000 to $2,210 without - again all before tax.

Yes, never has a heavy duty iPhone case been more essential!

Despite this the biggest challenge Apple looks set to have throughout the life of the iPhone X is not convincing customers to spend the money, but making enough iPhone X units to satisfy demand (which remains a big question). Nevertheless it’s a nice problem to have and Apple stock today hit record highs.

Ultimately the iPhone X looks set to take a seminal place in iPhone history, alongside the original iPhone, the iPhone 4 and iPhone 6. But if you want to be part of this history remember: it’s going to cost you…
I'm sure this will be incredibly lucrative in the short term, but maybe Tim Cook will stop to consider the longer view that Jobs always held close to his chest; the possibility that he is turning Apple into a fucking joke with these Excel-based strategies.

This isn't what made the iPhone the iPhone.

I bought Moto G4S and G5S phones fro my wife and daughters. these phones are really good and ridiculously good when you look at the price. I'm currently on an LG5 but i'm thinking of the tier 2 players like OnePlus for my next phone. I had 3 of the first Google Nexus phones but I'm not paying $1100 for my next phone - LOL.

Back