The key to beat alex pereira handily is pretty easy

Will be interesting to see if Israel tries to take him down.

he probably beat boringsanya but will lose to good wrestlers. vettori and strickland 2 are bad matchups for him.

Pressure + fighting inside+ take down
First all I'm not a hater of this guy I just think he is not proven as an mma fighter, he just beat a couple of bums and uber drivers.. Sean strickland is a legit win but guy fought in a very stupid way
I think the best way to beat this guy is to put pressure, put him against the fence cain velasquez style and box the shit out of him in close distance body shots dirty boxing elbows, hit the body, he can't generate too much power in his shots when in clinch then take him down, He is long so I dont think he is good fighting inside, also he cuts a lot of weight and doesnt seem to be that strong pysically.
Everyone here know that the ufc put this guy favorable matchups to fast track a title fight vs adesanya
"doesnt seem to be that strong pysically." Sure, so weak...
cahpww2wsz791.jpg

Holyfield beat the fuck out of Tyson inside

Lennox and Bowe beat up all the short guys they faced on the inside, same with Fury

In MMA Jones is probably the best clinch fighter we've seen

You can add Fundora here that is the living definition of long and lanky.

Wrestling is always the obvious way to beat a pure striker.

Modern strikers like Izzy have found ways to make implementing said wrestling more and more difficult.

Remains to be seen if Alex will be as effective at it.

This. Don't think he understands the inside is a strong point for Pereira. He throws short power shots, so he can generate power without needing much space. He will have knees and elbows in the clinch so unless your clinch fighting is better than his, it's not really going to benefit you trying to fight him on the inside or to clinch fight with him. Everything mentioned on this post is part of his strengths, he must think those are his weaknesses because he hasn't seen him fight much like that in UFC, but that's because the fighters he is fighting are avoiding those positions for a reason.
agree, also on his first fight in the UFC, when the guy tried to grapple him, he didnt seem to have a lot of movement on his defensive grappling, just seemed to be super strong and able to hold his ground well. I would say he has the strength advantage over Israel.

Just let Izzy do what he does. Stay at kicking range. Chew up the lead leg until he gets desperate, and Costa/Whitaker him when he gets desperate. Easy fight.

agree, also on his first fight in the UFC, when the guy tried to grapple him, he didnt seem to have a lot of movement on his defensive grappling, just seemed to be super strong and able to hold his ground well. I would say he has the strength advantage over Israel.
I believe that as well, plus Izzy has never been an offensive grappler. So I don't think Izzy will try and grapple with Pereira like everyone thinks he's going to do. For one it's not his style, and two he will have the size/strength disadvantage. I think people underestimate Pereira's defensive grappling because his striking is so strong. But he would be smart enough to know that everyone would want to try and take him down instead of striking with him and his main training partner is a high level grappler in a weight class above at LHW. So the power and skill level he trains with is better than what he's going to be experiencing at MW for the most part. For sure Glover's strength and grappling skill level is better than Izzy's by a long shot. Izzy got controlled by Jan, and Glover out-grappled Jan.

I don't think Pereira is going to be a fish out of water like everyone thinks he will be. They have already tried to wrestlefck him in his earlier fight and he got a KO with a flying knee. I think people are just hoping he is weak there because that's the only path to victory people think is possible vs Pereira.

I think it’s ok to acknowledge that it happened without it being a complaint. He definitely got fast tracked but im not mad about it. Then you look at guys like beniel dariush who somehow is on like an 11 fight win streak or something and hasn’t got a shot.

It obvious to me they’re struggling to find matchups that net exciting fights for Izzy so I don’t mind a little shuffle and favoritism to make it happen

That's where I find this sport to be infuriating tbh.
Beneil earns his way and gets stifled, this guy comes in, wins a couple and TS.

I don't know how the rankings have any validity at all at this point sir.

Does anyone talk about him as a long-term champ? I think he's got one job -- give us an interesting fight (especially the build-up) with Izzy. That's it.

No one expects him to last long as a champ if he wins that fight, and if he loses, I don't know if people care that much if he never fought again.

I think he's an interesting addition to the weight class for sure, and probably the highest-level striker in the UFC, so if he continues to fight after Izzy I'm all for it, but I'm not under any illusions that he doesn't have glaring weaknesses that any grappler couldn't exploit.

Allusions*

I really doubt you're the 1st person to have thought this. Obviously one of the many that have never tried it.

Back