The Next Low Carb Nutrition Thread

Great thread - only a couple of pages in but I'll be back.

What are your thoughts on stevia and whether or not it is a good alternative to sugar and other artificial sweeteners? Do you think things like splenda are horrible for you?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I do want to chime in here. Splenda should not be included in the same conversation with Stevia. Stevia is a naturally occurring herb. It has been used in Asia and South America for centuries with no adverse effects. I am against artificial sweeteners, but keep in mind Stevia is not an artificial sweetener, it is a sugar substitute.

Check this report out: Non-wood news

I tried the search function but only came across a few old threads from 2009. I'm on a low carb diet during the week and then I recarb during the weekend and have been on this diet for about 2 years.

I recently found noodles at Whole Foods called shirataki noodles. They are cut either super thin similar to angel hair pasta or cut similar to spaghetti noodles. I pan fried them and added to a chicken stir fry and they were amazing. Totally felt like I was eating real noodles. I know people have had problems with them in regards to texture but really I have no problems with it since I'm more a taste guy than a texture one.

I'm gonna try it with pasta sauce and meatballs this week.

Anyone (specifically Sinister) use these noodles? They are made from the root of a plant and are touted to contain low carbs since its more of a fiber. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

I tried the search function but only came across a few old threads from 2009. I'm on a low carb diet during the week and then I recarb during the weekend and have been on this diet for about 2 years.

I recently found noodles at Whole Foods called shirataki noodles. They are cut either super thin similar to angel hair pasta or cut similar to spaghetti noodles. I pan fried them and added to a chicken stir fry and they were amazing. Totally felt like I was eating real noodles. I know people have had problems with them in regards to texture but really I have no problems with it since I'm more a taste guy than a texture one.

I'm gonna try it with pasta sauce and meatballs this week.

Anyone (specifically Sinister) use these noodles? They are made from the root of a plant and are touted to contain low carbs since its more of a fiber. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Yeah they are made from Japanese Yams which are more or less completely indigestible. Most have a bit of tofu added to make them a bit less rubbery but are a great substitute as long as you can get past the texture

Yeah they are made from Japanese Yams which are more or less completely indigestible. Most have a bit of tofu added to make them a bit less rubbery but are a great substitute as long as you can get past the texture

Cool thank you very much for the feedback Clint07.

Had a borderline disaster with my nutritional life recently. Went on vacation with a week with an overwhelming visiting family member who insisted on eating very unhealthy food, many of which were high in carb. I didn't want to eat that crap, but it was the only thing available - and I felt like shit.

I gained an amazing 18 lbs in a week (some of which I am hoping is water weight due to lack of proper hydration). Was in complete panic when I jumped on the scale today.

Oh well, a month+ of progress lost. Can't wait to get back on track, I haven't been this depressed in awhile. This affirms my new view, more than anything, that I cannot compromise from a low carb diet in order to lose and/or maintain weight.

If you cut 18 in half and multiply by 3500 you would have to have eaten 31,500 calories in excess of what you naturally burned, supposedly, at any rate you would of had to pig out big time to gain that much fat in one week. IMO it sounds like a good part of it is water, I bet you lose most of it in a week after going back on watching what you eat.

Hmmm, this is really interesting. So are Japanese Yams a safe carb to eat on a low carb diet? Does anyone know if the same applies to a Japanese sweet potato or is it different?

Japanese Yams Information, Recipes and Facts

Japanese Sweet Potato: Cooking Terms: RecipeTips.com

weight.png

So it was all water weight, not only that, but i'm at my lowest weight right now since I started low carb.

weight.png

So it was all water weight, not only that, but i'm at my lowest weight right now since I started low carb.

Yeah, FMF is right. The moment you re-introduce carbohydrate intake of any significance, the first thing that's going to happen is water retention.

Yeah, FMF is right. The moment you re-introduce carbohydrate intake of any significance, the first thing that's going to happen is water retention.

"Of any significance"...does this include fiber?

Depends on the person's individual glucose tolerance, but usually no.

I really don't want to feed a troll here, but your definition of a "regular" diet isn't exactly regular. Regular to Americans and the rest of the world who are accustomed to agricultural products such as grains, sure. But as you can see with anthropological studies, there are cultures that live completely off of fats and proteins with substantially low carbs.

Are these cultures you speak of large, successful cultures with low infant mortality and generally good longevity? Or are they tiny, isolated, barren cultures with nothing else to eat?

The entire world eats carbs. While I believe that carbohydrates can be completely cut out for a successful cutting diet, the anthropologic argument for doing so is just dumb - cultures that don't eat carbs are not flourishing cultures. There may not be causation, but there is definitely correlation.

Everyone on Earth eats carbohydrates, period. The "belief" that they can be completely cut out is false. The body can and will make its own glucose if the need arises (through forms of stress or lack of access to foods). As for correlations of prosperity, that is directly tied in to modernization, industrialization, refinement, etc. And common diet is directly related to those larger influences, which has almost no bearing on the biochemistry of nutrients. There are more factors to percieved "prosperity" of cultures than just diet, and economic abundance doesn't have to translate into nutritional viability of common diet, neither do mortality rates (though both are possible). Thus, using such perspectives to argue nutritional viability in and of itself is folly. Its not about that something happens, its about why and how it happens, which can be studied.

Just thought I'd post this in here, as I was running through some information constructing a plan for a client, I found the equation for carb re-feeds that I never got around to finding for the original thread. It's 16g of carbs per kg of lean body mass.

Just thought I'd post this in here, as I was running through some information constructing a plan for a client, I found the equation for carb re-feeds that I never got around to finding for the original thread. It's 16g of carbs per kg of lean body mass.

Or the amount of Chinese takeout equal to all the cash in your wallet.

epic carb day after weigh ins next week inc

So Low Carb vs Keto? I tried to follow an anabolic diet about 1 year ago and I lasted only 3 weeks and had good results. I could of kept going but too many people were telling me it would wreak my liver. Is 0 carbs really sustainable to do it as a life long thing or is it something you guys switch off and on to for maybe a month or 2 then go back to a regular diet?

Last edited by a moderator:
First things first, there's no such thing as "0 xarbs" and we have to address the terminology so people don't get misconceptions of what someone it attempting to do. Almost all foods inherently have some carbohydrate content. If a person is utilizing a ketogenic diet, typically their carbohydrate intake is going to be between 40-60g per day, and more realistically, as high as they can get while still being in ketosis. And that's arguably the most tedious low-carb nutrition can get.

Aside from that, low-carb diets follow a variety of protocols. The most practical of which is likely just minimizing most simple and refined carbohydrates. If a person's carbohydrate intake is higher, and yet the sources in-question are more fibrous and thus, less insulinogenic, that would still be considered within the spectrum of the intended purpose of low-carb nutrition. That said, it'd be difficult to ascertain how your liver would be harmed. Many people have the skewed idea that high fat intake alone would endanger liver function, but barring a pre-existing medical condition that you'd already be aware of, that isn't likely to happen.

Back