The 'racist' balloon

how people see a golliwog and don't see a black minstrel is just

tenor.gif

has to be wilful ignorance. never heard the term "wog"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

"Both the ACT government's Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs and the Chair of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elected Body were consulted in making the decision, Ms Verden said."

rather than trying to tie this in to the greater racism/over sensitive individuals discussion,

its it really too much to ask to just respect an organization making a judgement call?

Last edited:
I don't usually side with the PC crusaders but this is an understandable decision.

I'm not sober enough to read all of that...
But fuck going on balloons! People's fascination with heights is fucking retarded! Yeah it's thrilling because you "could" fall and die.. fuck is wrong with people? I don't see people romanticize almost drowning... same fucking thing one misstep and your dead, fuck I hate heights!

LMAO. This PC shit only breeds contempt from normal people.
So would it be ok for anyone to fly Klan flags at this event , and if it isn't ok , then isn't that all just bowing to P.C. ?

I have never heard the term "wog."

Its a term we used in OZ for mainly Italians, but also expanded to over most Mediterranean people who moved here after the second world war. It was pretty widespread but died out when the second generations blended into the OZ mainstream. At one stage, Melboourne had the 3rd largest Greek population in the world.

Its still around but in a more gentrified way nowadays

http://wogs.com.au/

in the UK its just any dark skinned person, the term itself is pretty oldskool, baby boomer generation shit like "darkie" or "coon"

obviously comes from golli/wog

Rather silly imo, but a pitch black balloon named golly after a back character named golliwog could give people the wrong idea

How is Golly racist? I haven't heard that one ever before. What's it from?

It's a character (the Golliwog) in childrens books that was based on American minstrels and kids toys from around the turn of the 20th Century. It became popularised and the original author never copyrighted it, so it was adopted by other children's authors, as well as toys, corporate branding, food etc etc. Sometimes they retained reference to the original minstrel stereotypes (ie with Enid Blyton) sometimes not.
In this case the balloons will be flying over parliament house, so the event organisers are very conscious of the optics.

Golliwogs have been removed from cartoons, books, corporate logos, biscuits etc from around the early 1990s, and now I'd say they are just broadly considered unacceptable.

I have never heard the term "wog."

It was rife in the UK from the 60's through to the early 80's, even more so than the N-word. Black people would have it shouted at them in the street and "wogs out" sprayed on their front doors. Golliwog was the full insult and wog was for short.

These people know that and know what they're doing, they just don't care.

Last edited:
Rather silly imo, but a pitch black balloon named golly after a back character named golliwog could give people the wrong idea

It's even got the bowtie and looking to the side, it's clearly based on the character:
golly-balloon-720x405.png

7d95c979fbb5a2728aa9de2c782e8ab6.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back