The reason Beterbiev KO's Bivol

moosaev

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just re-watched a couple of Bivol fights. Bivol has never felt a combination of pace & power like he'll feel with Beterbiev.

People that pick Bivol are basing it off his ability to control distance and use a flurry of punches the same way he did against Canelo, Zurdo, and Lyndon Arthur. Neither of these guys have the best work rate, Canelo has serious gas tank issues, Zurdo has trouble getting down to 175, and Lyndon Arthur is Lyndon Arthur. Bivol has never been in the ring with someone who will make him work hard every minute of every round, that pressure will degrade is mobility and his skills over 12 rounds. Beterbiev has been in the ring with dozens of people (in pros and amateurs) who try to stick and move with him. I just don't think Bivol is prepared, mentally or physically.

I don’t agree but it’s pretty stupid to argue about something we’ll hopefully see soon and get the answers. Beterbiev does some of his amazing work at the ropes and no one I’ve ever seen in the last two decades is as disciplined as Bivol at jumping out of the ropes and getting his ass to the middle of the rings as soon as his back touches them.

Neither has faced one like the other, that’s for sure.

Yeah. It's an interesting clash of styles. A crafty defensive pure boxer/mover vs an educated pressure fighter with heavy slugging power in both hands. I see Bivol eventually getting clipped and the complexion of the fight abruptly changing. He's not going to be able to get Artur's respect so he'll need to be on his bike the whole fight. The thing is that he'll have to stand his ground at some point. Artur will cut the ring and force him to fight even if it's just in spots. It's an extremely dangerous fight for Bivol.

Yeah. It's an interesting clash of styles. A crafty defensive pure boxer/mover vs an educated pressure fighter with heavy slugging power in both hands. I see Bivol eventually getting clipped and the complexion of the fight abruptly changing. He's not going to be able to get Artur's respect so he'll need to be on his bike the whole fight. The thing is that he'll have to stand his ground at some point. Artur will cut the ring and force him to fight even if it's just in spots. It's an extremely dangerous fight for Bivol.
Bivol better ask for a 30 x 30 boxing ring lol.

I don’t agree but it’s pretty stupid to argue about something we’ll hopefully see soon and get the answers. Beterbiev does some of his amazing work at the ropes and no one I’ve ever seen in the last two decades is as disciplined as Bivol at jumping out of the ropes and getting his ass to the middle of the rings as soon as his back touches them.

Neither has faced one like the other, that’s for sure.
Beterbiev almost never had Gvozdyk on the ropes, the Nail did a phenomenal job of circling, moving, and boxing. Great game plan,…he just got worn down. And btw Gvozdyk has a much bigger punch than Bivol.

Bivol better ask for a 30 x 30 boxing ring lol.
Speaking of ring sizes some Smith fans weren't happy about the smaller ring Artur just crushed him in. I've heard that it's a standard size ring in Quebec. I never tried to verify it though.

Beterbiev almost never had Gvozdyk on the ropes, the Nail did a phenomenal job of circling, moving, and boxing. Great game plan,…he just got worn down. And btw Gvozdyk has a much bigger punch than Bivol.

That’s not a good comparison though, Gvozdyk got hit, Bivol barely does, look at his punch stat vs Canelo, it was even lower than Floyd vs Canelo.

Bivol vs Biev is a very tough fight for either guy but that comparison doesn’t really apply. Beterbiev has struggled with fighters we thought he shouldn’t have, so has bivol. Then they both have easily dispatched their supposed most difficult fights.

Just because somebody never had to do something doesn't mean they couldn't do it if they had to. That's the dumbest logic in boxing discussions.

Ali never fought a guy like Liston before he fought Liston yet he still beat the brakes of Liston. Explain to me how it's possible cause according to you, it shouldn't be possible.

Ftr, I also have Beterbiev winning, not because I had dreams of Bivol not being able to this or that but mainly because Beterbiev is among the hardest punchers in boxing history.

That’s not a good comparison though, Gvozdyk got hit, Bivol barely does, look at his punch stat vs Canelo, it was even lower than Floyd vs Canelo.

Bivol vs Biev is a very tough fight for either guy but that comparison doesn’t really apply. Beterbiev has struggled with fighters we thought he shouldn’t have, so has bivol. Then they both have easily dispatched their supposed most difficult fights.
You can say that the comparison doesn’t fully apply, but I think it’s nonsense to claim that the comparison can’t be made. The reason Gvozdyk gets hit more than Bivol is that he sits on his punches more, but the contours of his game plan against Biev apply to Bivol. Gvozdyk’s game plan was to move, throw combos, but never stay long enough for Biev to fully engage. His problem is that Beterbiev was too clever to evade even early on. The same can happen to Bivol, sure he doesn’t commit to exchanges in quite the same way Gvozdyk did (this is partly because I just don’t think Bivol trusts his power the way Gvozdyk trusted his) but 12 rounds is a long time to stay on the bike and Biev is clever enough to land and slow down Bivol. Banking on Bivol pitching a shut out (which is what I think he’d need) is a tall order.

Just because somebody never had to do something doesn't mean they couldn't do it if they had to. That's the dumbest logic in boxing discussions.

Ali never fought a guy like Liston before he fought Liston yet he still beat the brakes of Liston. Explain to me how it's possible cause according to you, it shouldn't be possible.

Ftr, I also have Beterbiev winning, not because I had dreams of Bivol not being able to this or that but mainly because Beterbiev is among the hardest punchers in boxing history.
I never said Bivol couldn’t do it as though it’s a law of physics, all I said was I don’t think he can. It’s an opinion buddy, are we not allowed to have those?

I never said Bivol couldn’t do it as though it’s a law of physics, all I said was I don’t think he can. It’s an opinion buddy, are we not allowed to have those?
After the Yarde fight I was a little iffy about Beterbievs chances against the young surging Bivol as well, it wasn’t that out of the ordinary at the time. Hell, even leading up to this last fight with Smith plenty calling for the upset, haha, wow I got kinda nervous myself. No doubt Bivol is about as efficient a safety first boxer as ever was, he surely brings an unseen level of tactical ability that might be the key. It’s a really good fight that sparks curiosity about who wins for sure.

I’m personally of the camp that Beter is like a LHW Wilder, but can actually box. The danger of getting clipped is just too damn high.

May the best man win though!

The key for Artur to land on him, aside from cutting the ring and timing him well, will be to avoid loading up. He rarely loads up as it is. When you look at say the Canelo fight, Bivol was able to see those telegraphed (loaded up) bombs coming from a mile away.

I've said this before but Bivol needs to lose that cute cover-up defense of his for this fight. It's just not going to cut it against someone this heavy handed. Bivol will sometimes just stand there, hold his feet, and catch shots with his gloves, forearms & elbows. That's not what you want to do against someone that can seriously hurt you with glancing blows and make you feel even the shots that you block.

Last edited:
Hell, even leading up to this last fight with Smith plenty calling for the upset, haha, wow I got kinda nervous myself.
Which was dumb. Then again one of the posters that predicted the upset thought that what Smith did to Lenin Castillo would be applicable to Artur. From the very beginning I said that Smith only had a puncher's chance. He needed to catch Better Beast and put him out, likely with a one-hitter quitter. Smith can whack but that's the only thing he brought to the table. Some were even hyping his durability. I was dismissive of it because we'd already seen Artur wreck guys that had never hit the canvas.

Which was dumb. Then again one of the posters that predicted the upset thought that what Smith did to Lenin Castillo would be applicable to Artur. From the very beginning I said that Smith only had a puncher's chance. He needed to catch Better Beast and put him out, likely with a one-hitter quitter. Smith can whack but that's the only thing he brought to the table. Some were even hyping his durability. I was dismissive of it because we'd already seen Artur wreck guys that had never hit the canvas.
The UK fans watch their best fighters mop up against domestic level competition and think that's how it will play out against a top P4P fighter lol. Never fails. Callum Smith is a good fighter, but the gap between a Lenin Castillo, or a Jon Ryder, VS an Artur Beterbiev is wider than the Atlantic Ocean.

The UK fans watch their best fighters mop up against domestic level competition and think that's how it will play out against a top P4P fighter lol. Never fails. Callum Smith is a good fighter, but the gap between a Lenin Castillo, or a Jon Ryder, VS an Artur Beterbiev is wider than the Atlantic Ocean.

I love how we always get this UK fans blah blah blah garbage. US fans do the exact same thing but only UK fans get called on it.

I love how we always get this UK fans blah blah blah garbage. US fans do the exact same thing but only UK fans get called on it.
All fans do that to a degree, but on the spectrum the UK fanbase is by far the least objective i've seen. Just my opinion. I don't think other fanbases would've rode their version of Callum Smith that hard in that kind of matchup.

beterbiev is a terror, but bivol's defense is sublime, his power is severely underrated and he seems to fight to the level of his opponent. i imagine we'll see the best bivol yet when they finally fight.

i'm picking bivol because he's younger and has taken less punishment, and i also think he's the better boxer. but there is truth to the argument that bivol might not have the power to keep artur off of him, and beterbiev is far more than just a puncher.

beterbiev is a terror, but bivol's defense is sublime, his power is severely underrated and he seems to fight to the level of his opponent. i imagine we'll see the best bivol yet when they finally fight.

i'm picking bivol because he's younger and has taken less punishment, and i also think he's the better boxer. but there is truth to the argument that bivol might not have the power to keep artur off of him, and beterbiev is far more than just a puncher.
Bivol has excellent defense but you can slip the occasional shot through. In his last fight Lyndon looked like he actually hurt him to the body with a right hand in the 8th round (unless Bivol was just playing possum). Then in the 9th Lyndon had a moment where he started to rough him up on the inside and landed some nice body shots. If only he'd gone there more often he might've actually won some rounds.

Edit. I bring this up because…
Tim Bradley: “Bivol Has To Fight The Perfect Fight In Order To Beat Beterbiev”

Last edited:
Back