The reason Beterbiev KO's Bivol

1. Usyk was so much bigger than Biev so he could withstand the punishment better, and he still was knocked down. Bivol is not a natural 175, he’s a blown up 168. I don’t think he’ll be as durable as usyk against Biev.

2. The amateurs are tailor made for Usyk and Bivol’s style, Biev has always had more of a pro style (emphasis on power and accuracy instead of output) which is why he never won Olympic gold imo. Usyk barely outpointed Biev in a scoring system that favored his style. Just because Usyk beat him in the amateurs it doesn’t mean he would’ve beat him over 12 rounds (back then).

3. Usyk has much better lateral movement than Bivol. Bivol has fast feet but it’s mostly in and out of range, Usyk has much better circular and lateral movement, changing angles, etc. Much harder to cut off the ring against Usyk than Bivol.

4. Usyk had the punch to keep Biev off him, we’ve seen Bivol enough to say that he isn’t a big puncher. Dude hasn’t knocked anyone out in almost 6 years.
Interesting. BTW i am a huge Biev fan.

1. Usyk was so much bigger than Biev so he could withstand the punishment better, and he still was knocked down. Bivol is not a natural 175, he’s a blown up 168. I don’t think he’ll be as durable as usyk against Biev.

2. The amateurs are tailor made for Usyk and Bivol’s style, Biev has always had more of a pro style (emphasis on power and accuracy instead of output) which is why he never won Olympic gold imo. Usyk barely outpointed Biev in a scoring system that favored his style. Just because Usyk beat him in the amateurs it doesn’t mean he would’ve beat him over 12 rounds (back then).

3. Usyk has much better lateral movement than Bivol. Bivol has fast feet but it’s mostly in and out of range, Usyk has much better circular and lateral movement, changing angles, etc. Much harder to cut off the ring against Usyk than Bivol.

4. Usyk had the punch to keep Biev off him, we’ve seen Bivol enough to say that he isn’t a big puncher. Dude hasn’t knocked anyone out in almost 6 years.
Good points. Yeah Artur's style is definitely as professional as it gets. Not the more amateur oriented style that Usyk & Bivol have. Artur was one of those guys that you knew his style would translate well into the pro ranks back when he was still an amateur.

As for Bivol's power, he can punch a bit but he hasn't stopped anyone in forever like you mentioned. He used to stop lots of guys back when he was more of a boxer-puncher. Now he's a risk averse pure boxer that always looks to outpoint his opponents. He did try and put Lyndon Arthur away last time out but wasn't able to (dropped him though and otherwise beat him up).

Good points. Yeah Artur's style is definitely as professional as it gets. Not the more amateur oriented style that Usyk & Bivol have. Artur was one of those guys that you knew his style would translate well into the pro ranks back when he was still an amateur.

As for Bivol's power, he can punch a bit but he hasn't stopped anyone in forever like you mentioned. He used to stop lots of guys back when he was more of a boxer-puncher. Now he's a risk averse pure boxer that always looks to outpoint his opponents. He did try and put Lyndon Arthur away last time out but wasn't able to (dropped him though and otherwise beat him up).
If Bivol had a punch he should’ve stopped Lyndon Arthur. Punchers knockout guys at that level, Anthony Yarde stopped Arthur in 4.

If Bivol had a punch he should’ve stopped Lyndon Arthur. Punchers knockout guys at that level, Anthony Yarde stopped Arthur in 4.
Sure did. In their rematch Yarde stopped Lyndon to the body if I recall correctly. How will Bivol even get Artur's respect? That's what I'd like to know.

Sure did. In their rematch Yarde stopped Lyndon to the body if I recall correctly. How will Bivol even get Artur's respect? That's what I'd like to know.
It’s a real issue. Gvozdyk couldn’t keep Artur off him and he had a hell of a punch, people forget that. Gvozdyk had an 82% KO ratio when he fought Artur. Roberto Garcia’s son (who worked as a trainer at Roberto’s gym) said that Gvozdyk was the hardest puncher he ever held mitts for or wore the body suit for. And he even held mitts for Kovalev I believe as well as various heavyweights.

It’s a real issue. Gvozdyk couldn’t keep Artur off him and he had a hell of a punch, people forget that. Gvozdyk had an 82% KO ratio when he fought Artur. Roberto Garcia’s son (who worked as a trainer at Roberto’s gym) said that Gvozdyk was the hardest puncher he ever held mitts for or wore the body suit for. And he even held mitts for Kovalev I believe as well as various heavyweights.
Yeah he was able to walk through Gvozdyk's best shots. Gvozdyk not only hit really hard his straight right hand was sharp (hence his nickname, "The Nail"). His punch placement and timing made it even more dangerous. Yeah Robert Garcia has held pads for Kovalev before at their old Oxnard gym. He has a son named Pita. That's probably who held pads for Gvozdyk.

Edit. Yep, it was Pita. He did indeed say Gvozdyk was the hardest hitter he's ever held pads for.

Last edited:
I am too. I am also a fan of Bivol! Genuinely admire both guys and want to see both move forward so may the best man win. Rarely do I ever not want to make a pick at all like this.
I like Bivol too but I've never liked it when guys look to age their rivals. That's what he's been doing with Artur, just waiting him out. He could've filed for that WBC exemption a long time ago. From their perspective Artur looked like he might be slipping in the Yarde fight. Not surprisingly after that fight Bivol signed his end of the Saudi deal. It was done before Artur fought Callum (which Artur looked great in). Now we're just waiting on Artur to accept his Saudi offer and sign.

Yeah he was able to walk through Gvozdyk's best shots. Gvozdyk not only hit really hard his straight right hand was sharp (hence his nickname, "The Nail"). His punch placement and timing made it even more dangerous. Yeah Robert Garcia has held pads for Kovalev before at their old Oxnard gym. He has a son named Pita. That's probably who held pads for Gvozdyk.

Edit. Yep, it was Pita. He did indeed say Gvozdyk was the hardest hitter he's ever held pads for.

people seem to forget that gvozdyk literally beat adonis stevenson within an inch of his life. and not "literally" used as a hyperbole.

the guy won the lineal championship by putting the previous champion into a coma for 3 weeks. he hits fucking hard.

people seem to forget that gvozdyk literally beat adonis stevenson within an inch of his life. and not "literally" used as a hyperbole.

the guy won the lineal championship by putting the previous champion into a coma for 3 weeks. he hits fucking hard.
Gvozdyk felt terrible about it. He went to visit Stevenson and was there bedside with him. Sulaiman was also there to show support.

Dhafir claims that Artur hits harder than anyone he's ever been in the ring with, hands down. That includes heavyweights he's sparred with (Malik Scott, Eddie Chambers, Bert Cooper, etc).

Notice he didn't even need to think about the Bivol question when asked. No breakdown needed.

Last edited:
Speaking of ring sizes some Smith fans weren't happy about the smaller ring Artur just crushed him in. I've heard that it's a standard size ring in Quebec. I never tried to verify it though.

there is a size of a ring that is allowed for boxing and it was within that limit. not sure what they do in saudi but the prince or king putting it together has flat out said he prefers the come forward knockout punches so we'll see

As for my pick I think I'll go with Bivol I think he can last the distance and judging will go his way. Of course Bivol has made mistakes vs people. I was super impressed with his fight vs Pascal or richards and also a short time vs smith. He can get away with small mistakes but he has to get into a good rythym. If anyone can beat beterbiev it's bivol but I could see bivol getting stopped too.

there is a size of a ring that is allowed for boxing and it was within that limit. not sure what they do in saudi but the prince or king putting it together has flat out said he prefers the come forward knockout punches so we'll see
I have zero doubt team Bivol will insist on as large a ring as possible. It's not something they'll just accept from Turki. That's literally make or break for him.

Yeah. It's usually a range between 18×18 up to 24×24. The WBC requires a ring size of at least 18×18 for championship fights. Some non-championship fights could theoretically use a ring as small as 16×16.

Why Artur's former sparring partner isn't picking the 'boxer' to beat the 'puncher' in this bout.

Chad Dawson on who his toughest test would've been at LHW today.

Why Artur's former sparring partner isn't picking the 'boxer' to beat the 'puncher' in this bout.

Chad Dawson on who his toughest test would've been at LHW today.

And even though I’ve firmly made my pick I can’t write off Bivol. For every “he’s not human” remark made about what Artur possesses, one thing Bivol possesses is “he’s not human”-distance management. Dude is a living breathing laser measuring system with eyes that see everything. I’m still picking Artur who is no technical slouch himself, but Bivol is something else in that area

And even though I’ve firmly made my pick I can’t write off Bivol. For every “he’s not human” remark made about what Artur possesses, one thing Bivol possesses is “he’s not human”-distance management. Dude is a living breathing laser measuring system with eyes that see everything. I’m still picking Artur who is no technical slouch himself, but Bivol is something else in that area
I agree man. 100%. Bivol's distance management is fucking excellent. The only other guy in the game today that can even approach it is Shakur.

Back