The results of the Alex/Izzy Saga are misleading

The more I see the stoppage the better a decision it looks like every single time.

Izzy is absolutely rocked, on no legs, shelled up against the cage with a double-forearm high-guard bent over not seeing shit. Meanwhile, AP is in full on psycho-swarm mode and looks like he is about to uncork another left hook of doom the split-second Goddard stops it.

If it got let go for a few more strikes we'd likely have seen Izzy completely unconscious - that would've been pretty cool (and all the Izzy haters would've rejoiced), but it also would've likely ended Izzy's ability to withstand heavy damage and his confidence to engage in the pocket with hitters.

I mean he still doesn't take damage that well and he's never been a pocket brawler, but if he got shook about getting hit or getting in 50/50 exchanges his game would be pared down to nothing but a hit-and-run out-fighter.

1st fight was not a robbery at all nor did Izzy ever come close to knocking out Alex. He’s 0-3 counting a loss in his own sport he was dominant in for years. If Izzy was on his level or better he wouldn’t be 0-3. Fuck that “he was winning until he lost 3 times shit”

I see people on this board going off about how Izzy is going to get destroyed but I don't see the proof in the numbers. I watched all the fights a few times:

- Izzy was arguably robbed in a close fight the first time.
- Was winning and almost had Alex out of there in the second until the beautiful KO from Alex.
- Had Alex severely hurt and probably finished but Alex got saved by the bell in the third fight. The stoppage was questionable at the end as well for a 5 round championship fight.

Izzy seems to win a lot of the rounds, hurts Alex, is the better grappler etc.... BUT Alex has the most disgusting KO power I've ever seen in MMA and it never seems to fade in the fights. I don't think Marc should have stopped that fight when he did but I can see why he did.

Great fight. There's a reason they keep running it back. Can't wait.

Inb4 "wINNinG unTIL hE LOst eXcUSE"
There are so few times someone has reclaimed their title after losing it against the same person. That in and of itself is enough to justify not giving him good odds to win

I see people on this board going off about how Izzy is going to get destroyed but I don't see the proof in the numbers. I watched all the fights a few times:

- Izzy was arguably robbed in a close fight the first time.
- Was winning and almost had Alex out of there in the second until the beautiful KO from Alex.
- Had Alex severely hurt and probably finished but Alex got saved by the bell in the third fight. The stoppage was questionable at the end as well for a 5 round championship fight.

Izzy seems to win a lot of the rounds, hurts Alex, is the better grappler etc.... BUT Alex has the most disgusting KO power I've ever seen in MMA and it never seems to fade in the fights. I don't think Marc should have stopped that fight when he did but I can see why he did.

Great fight. There's a reason they keep running it back. Can't wait.

The style of these two fighters is what makes this fight intriguing.
Alex goes for the kill. He wants a KO.
Izzy likes to win on points.
So Izzy will always score, because Alex does not care about punches that don't hurt. He gives up the round while looking for the finish.

It doesn't mean Alex will always win, but it does explain how Izzy is always "winning" until he loses.

People need to stop being biased either way.
Both are as elite as they can be.
Props for both for being game and doing this over and over without getting mad or discouraged.

hE wAs wINNinG unTIL hE LOst

Think you missed the entire point being made. Pretty spot-on for Sherdog.

TS is saying that given the performances in the past, it is not a foregone conclusion that Izzy gets "destroyed". One may chose to argue the semantics of destroyed, but it's clear that TS means it won't be a one-sided affair. This is because the first twofights were indeed, not one-sided affairs.

Welcome to Context City.

no its not. once Alex move up Izzy will get back to his throne

LOL, you think he'd come back down just to F with Izzy?

Still 1-4 if he pulls it out lol
1-3 or 1/4*
But yeah.... still not great!

1st fight was not a robbery at all nor did Izzy ever come close to knocking out Alex. He’s 0-3 counting a loss in his own sport he was dominant in for years. If Izzy was on his level or better he wouldn’t be 0-3. Fuck that “he was winning until he lost 3 times shit”

**Arguably it comes down to the champ's toughness as he has been in trouble against Izzy multiple times; but always been able to recover.

The style of these two fighters is what makes this fight intriguing.
Alex goes for the kill. He wants a KO.
Izzy likes to win on points.
So Izzy will always score, because Alex does not care about punches that don't hurt. He gives up the round while looking for the finish.

It doesn't mean Alex will always win, but it does explain how Izzy is always "winning" until he loses.

People need to stop being biased either way.
Both are as elite as they can be.
Props for both for being game and doing this over and over without getting mad or discouraged.

Bingo!
We got a master technician on the feet and terrifying killer with one punch KO, and we MMA Fans(?) are talking sh-t like it's a foregone conclusion?

Great fight between great fighters!

Last edited:
Two guys with similar skill sets - the bigger guy usually wins.
I know this is way over-simplifying this rivalry, but it appears Alex's size is a problem for Izzy.

I was really hoping that I would enter this thread and not see all the three points that have been already discussed to death in Sherdog:
1. Izzy lost a controversial decision
2. Izzy was winning until the KO
3. Izzy almost KOed Poatan in the 1st

Buuuuuutt.....

exactly, and i don't even like izzy. but you can't admit that he's had his success in the fights, he almost could have got a stoppage in the last one if their was more time. but their wasnt. and poatan has undeniable fight ending power. and that's it, and both trains of thought can simultaneously exist. it is possible. izzy was winning at points, and then he got hit with the brazilian double whopper, extra cheese.

As we saw with Usman, Cody, Anderson, Aldo, Yan, Weili vs Rose and countless others over the years it's very difficult and rare that the former champ wins back their belt in the rematch.

In this situation, it seems to be that Izzy's leg kick, movement feint heavy game he's developed over his recent UFC career just doesn't work on Alex. I think if he tries to wrestle him he's going to gas himself out and get finished quicker this time.

We'll see. should be fun. My money is on Alex to finish him again.

Izzy is going to come in with a wrestling game plan for the next fight and it’s not going to go well for him. Completing changing the way you fight for an opponent never works out. Alex is going to KTFO Izzy again; this time in the first or second round.

"If you really think about it and crunch the numbers, Big Nog technically beat Mir both times."

tumblr_mjcsmeKxT21rjffk3o1_400.gif

Its funny because prior to the last exchange in that fight I thought for sure Izzy was in the clear to a solid decision win lol man Periera is one scary motherfucker

Think you missed the entire point being made. Pretty spot-on for Sherdog.

TS is saying that given the performances in the past, it is not a foregone conclusion that Izzy gets "destroyed". One may chose to argue the semantics of destroyed, but it's clear that TS means it won't be a one-sided affair. This is because the first twofights were indeed, not one-sided affairs.

Welcome to Context City.
<36>
I didn't know retards were allowed in Sherdog.

Did you miss this line in OP? My post was obviously a joke.

Welcome to Context City.

Almost winning..is still losing. No one remembers Chael beating the brakes off of Anderson for 24 minutes , they remember one of the best hail mary submissions of all time...
[<diva2]

No one remembers that? That's like the thing Chael was most known for. He was WEC champ, had like 50 fights, fought for the UFC title 3 times in 2 divisions, but without question the thing he's best known for is almost beating Anderson.

Izzy is a great fighter I just dont see him defeating Alex who has been gaining confidence after each victory imo. He just knows that you have to rush Izzy down and pressure him into making mistakes. Alex stalks him perfectly, cutting off his angles and not allowing him to get comfortable.

Back