The results of the Alex/Izzy Saga are misleading

A lot closer than most people pretend, but you can't really argue with the outcomes.

I think the main takeaway people overlook since they are mostly pro wrestling fangirl bitch made idiots, is how well Izzy takes losses and continues to try to improve. Being that they only fought once in MMA, I would have to think it allows for a lot of potential changes to Izzy's gameplan going into the next match. In kickboxing, there are a lot less adjustments you can make to try to win a rematch, but in MMA he has a lot of avenues to explore if he wants to pull out the win.

Not sure if he will actually do this of course, he might just go into the next fight with 'do the same thing, just don't get hit with a big shot again' which is a rough gameplan for a 5 round fight ... but still, Izzy losing to Alex twice in kickboxing shouldn't be as huge of an indicator of the rematch in MMA as people think. As far as I'm concerned Izzy is 0-1 against Alex, not 0-3, so the rematch isn't an as much of a given as people are pretending.

Almost winning..is still losing. No one remembers Chael beating the brakes off of Anderson for 24 minutes , they remember one of the best hail mary submissions of all time...

Lol why do you think people remember the Hail Mary submission?

The first fight was just close and you can make arguments for either guy.

The 2nd fight was pretty much the same till Izzy caught him and then threw everything he had at him - Alex got a standing 8. And by the end of that 2nd round Alex had recovered enough to be the one moving forward, and in the 3rd he found Izzy's chin.
The 3rd - the shot landed at the bell and the follow up was after the bell so it's irrelevant. And again by the end of the rest period Alex had recovered and was the one pushing the fight in the 2nd. That fight was also misleading - izzy was winning aesthetics with straight head shots and movement but Alex was putting in the work to the legs and body that directly led to him being able to make that push in the 5th. The fight stats also show Alex out landed Izzy overall.

If Alex was just disgusting KO power then he'd have been exposed in Glory a long time ago. He certainly wouldn't have gone 1-1 with Vakhitov in Glory or being the only 2 division champ in Glory.
I've asked this a few times and gotten mixed answers. As someone who doesn't watch kickboxing, I was surprised at the standing 8 count when it seemed clear Izzy could have gone for a KO if the ref didn't step in. Was that a sketchy call in your view or does it happen sometimes in kickboxing?

Almost winning..is still losing. No one remembers Chael beating the brakes off of Anderson for 24 minutes , they remember one of the best hail mary submissions of all time...
everyone remembers Chael beating the brakes off of Anderson for 24 minutes... that is what makes the hail mary submission so great.

Izzy has arguably been the better fighter in the totality of their fights with Poetans power being the equalizer. It shouldn't be understated that the only thing that stopped Alex from getting KO'ed in ugly fashion was the luck of the bell in the last fight. Thats not a fluke thing to be ignored but props to Alex for working through the haze and getting the hard earned victory anyway. Izzy really just needs to have more urgency in setting traps and working hard to get Alex out of there as early as possible. His point fighting style works against him as he just becomes more fatigued in later rounds while Alex power doesn't fade. I see two angle for this fight.....one, no way a fighter as talented and smart as Izzy allows himself to lose to this guy 4 times or 2), Alex is way too much in his head and Izzy has too much self doubt to fight the fight he needs to fight at this point. We're going see what Izzy is truly made of this time. He has the physical tools to beat Alex, now it's just whether he can overcome the psychological hurdles. If he fights tentatively in fear of the KO, thats just silly because the worst has already happened. Easy for me to say, I don't have this big amazonian monster in front of me.

Big fan of both fighters but man if Izzy gets knocked out again it's going to be the overriding story of his career even with all he's accomplished. Dude better pick all the right anime comics for inspiration this week.

If Izzy beats Pereira and gets a finish, a multitude of Sherbro brains will completely explode. If he does it with coloured hair and painted nails, even more brains will explode. I’m here for it.
upload_2023-3-30_14-30-52.gif

I see people on this board going off about how Izzy is going to get destroyed but I don't see the proof in the numbers. I watched all the fights a few times:

- Izzy was arguably robbed in a close fight the first time.
- Was winning and almost had Alex out of there in the second until the beautiful KO from Alex.
- Had Alex severely hurt and probably finished but Alex got saved by the bell in the third fight. The stoppage was questionable at the end as well for a 5 round championship fight.

Izzy seems to win a lot of the rounds, hurts Alex, is the better grappler etc.... BUT Alex has the most disgusting KO power I've ever seen in MMA and it never seems to fade in the fights. I don't think Marc should have stopped that fight when he did but I can see why he did.

Great fight. There's a reason they keep running it back. Can't wait.

Inb4 "wINNinG unTIL hE LOst eXcUSE"
Is it the result that’s misleading? Or are the numbers misleading?

I was really hoping that I would enter this thread and not see all the three points that have been already discussed to death in Sherdog:
1. Izzy lost a controversial decision
2. Izzy was winning until the KO
3. Izzy almost KOed Poatan in the 1st

Buuuuuutt.....
Tough titty. Truth oh noooo,aaaaagh!!!

Some people see what they want to see and some of these Adesanya haters haven’t even watched the fights. Pereira is the easiest bandwagon to get on but it has all kinds.

Perhaps the details are misleading...

eddiebravo.gif

Izzy has arguably been the better fighter in the totality of their fights with Poetans power being the equalizer. It shouldn't be understated that the only thing that stopped Alex from getting KO'ed in ugly fashion was the luck of the bell in the last fight. Thats not a fluke thing to be ignored but props to Alex for working through the haze and getting the hard earned victory anyway. Izzy really just needs to have more urgency in setting traps and working hard to get Alex out of there as early as possible. His point fighting style works against him as he just becomes more fatigued in later rounds while Alex power doesn't fade. I see two angle for this fight.....one, no way a fighter as talented and smart as Izzy allows himself to lose to this guy 4 times or 2), Alex is way too much in his head and Izzy has too much self doubt to fight the fight he needs to fight at this point. We're going see what Izzy is truly made of this time. He has the physical tools to beat Alex, now it's just whether he can overcome the psychological hurdles. If he fights tentatively in fear of the KO, thats just silly because the worst has already happened. Easy for me to say, I don't have this big amazonian monster in front of me.

Big fan of both fighters but man if Izzy gets knocked out again it's going to be the overriding story of his career even with all he's accomplished. Dude better pick all the right anime comics for inspiration this week.
It would be dishonest to call Izzy's near finishes of Alex flukes, especially the kickboxing one (I still don't really get if that was a legit standing 8 count call).

But the MMA instance happened at the very end of a round Alex was looking good in and he very likely made a tactical error letting his guard down. Why wasn't Izzy able to capitalize on defensive holes earlier on and why was Alex in 0 danger of being finished for the rest of the fight?

Izzy doesn't have the physical attributes or grappling prowess to beat Alex decisively (yes, he arguably won their first KB fight) without putting himself in danger. And after getting finished by Alex twice, I doubt Izzy's mentally prepared to put himself in the kinds of positions where he can reliably finish Alex.

Not saying he can't win or even that he has a very bad chance, but I don't see it happening without the kind of shift in approach Izzy is really unlikely to make.

Of course they were competitive fights and Izzy could have won if certain moments went his way. But we have seen the end result enough times.

The mere fact Izzy is getting another try is privilege!

I see people on this board going off about how Izzy is going to get destroyed but I don't see the proof in the numbers. I watched all the fights a few times:

- Was winning and almost had Alex out of there in the second until the beautiful KO from Alex.
- Had Alex severely hurt and probably finished but Alex got saved by the bell in the third fight. The stoppage was questionable at the end as well for a 5 round championship fight.

Izzy seems to win a lot of the rounds, hurts Alex, is the better grappler etc.... BUT Alex has the most disgusting KO power I've ever seen in MMA and it never seems to fade in the fights. I don't think Marc should have stopped that fight when he did but I can see why he did.

Ts can't inb4

It's a fight. All that matters is that Alex is 3-0 vs Izzy. He beat him by decision, KO and standing TKO. I saw that Izzy is working a lot of wrestling so I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Izzy out wrestles Alex for a few rounds before getting subbed. Then Alex has beat Izzy everywhere.

Alex is Izzy's kryptonite. A tall rangy striker with power that can match his best area. You don't think that Alex will be prepared to wrestle this time?

Izzy should have fought someone else. Rematches never go well for the previous champ and it's even worse when you are 0-3 against the guy. Clearly something major needs to change for you to win.
Watch for plenty of knees and upper cuts before he beats Izzy again.

It would be dishonest to call Izzy's near finishes of Alex flukes, especially the kickboxing one (I still don't really get if that was a legit standing 8 count call).

But the MMA instance happened at the very end of a round Alex was looking good in and he very likely made a tactical error letting his guard down. Why wasn't Izzy able to capitalize on defensive holes earlier on and why was Alex in 0 danger of being finished for the rest of the fight?

Izzy doesn't have the physical attributes or grappling prowess to beat Alex decisively (yes, he arguably won their first KB fight) without putting himself in danger. And after getting finished by Alex twice, I doubt Izzy's mentally prepared to put himself in the kinds of positions where he can reliably finish Alex.

Not saying he can't win or even that he has a very bad chance, but I don't see it happening without the kind of shift in approach Izzy is really unlikely to make.

You may be right because that is the shift I expected from him in the last fight. Not just already being familiar with Alex, but this building narrative (that he is well aware of) that he is a boring point fighter. I figured he'd want to decisively kill two birds with one stone, shut up the haters and make a point to go out there looking for a finish. And perhaps he did that but just couldn't pull it off. Maybe at this point there is just too much psychological damage and indecision in the way, but still from a logic standpoint I don't see what he has to lose to go for broke this time. He can't seriously approach this fight again with the mindset of safely outpointing Poatan for five rounds, that would be what people erroneously refer to as the definition of insanity. And the thing I'm not even addressing is whether Alex feels any need to add some different wrinkles or just continue following the same game plan.

I think Izzy's best shot is to go in there looking to put hands on Alex, get him hurt and take him out. Obviously he should fight his fight and be patient in doing so but if he doesn't seek a finish with more urgency than he has been for many fights now, we're going to be looking at the same result again.

Back