The results of the Alex/Izzy Saga are misleading

This is always what people say. Fact of the matter is Izzy was finished twice. I'll take Perreira with 25 minutes of time to get the job done.

Has Izzy won more rounds than Alex in their 3 fights combined?

The narrative Izzy "almost finished Alex" is so funny when Izzy's strongest punch of the fight landed after the bell in the first round.

He was winning until he wasn't. 3-0.
The stoppage was far from questionable. It was actually a favour.

Good on Izzy for being competitive, but he's still 3-0 and about to get frozen like Elsa one last time by The Goatan.

You may be right because that is the shift I expected from him in the last fight. Not just already being familiar with Alex, but this building narrative (that he is well aware of) that he is a boring point fighter. I figured he'd want to decisively kill two birds with one stone, shut up the haters and make a point to go out there looking for a finish. And perhaps he did that but just couldn't pull it off. Maybe at this point there is just too much psychological damage and indecision in the way, but still from a logic standpoint I don't see what he has to lose to go for broke this time. He can't seriously approach this fight again with the mindset of safely outpointing Poatan for five rounds, that would be what people erroneously refer to as the definition of insanity. And the thing I'm not even addressing is whether Alex feels any need to add some different wrinkles or just continue following the same game plan.

I think Izzy's best shot is to go in there looking to put hands on Alex, get him hurt and take him out. Obviously he should fight his fight and be patient in doing so but if he doesn't seek a finish with more urgency than he has been for many fights now, we're going to be looking at the same result again.
I actually think he fought pretty well in the last fight because his and most intelligent fighters' goals should be to win taking as little damage as possible, in terms of quality of life. Unfortunately for Izzy, Alex just confirmed that he's too dangerous to play clever strategy games with.

Izzy is taking this fight as an immediate rematch when most would say that's a bad idea statistically and mentally, so clearly he's doing this for pride. And unless he's confident he can grapple with Alex for 5 entire rounds, at the back of his mind he's gonna be wondering if the finishing blow is coming, so imo, he's gotta risk it all and early.

I actually think he fought pretty well in the last fight because his and most intelligent fighters' goals should be to win taking as little damage as possible, in terms of quality of life. Unfortunately for Izzy, Alex just confirmed that he's too dangerous to play clever strategy games with.

Izzy is taking this fight as an immediate rematch when most would say that's a bad idea statistically and mentally, so clearly he's doing this for pride. And unless he's confident he can grapple with Alex for 5 entire rounds, at the back of his mind he's gonna be wondering if the finishing blow is coming, so imo, he's gotta risk it all and early.
Yup. And I feel like history shows that fighters who are in Izzy's position usually clam up and can't find the trigger. But he is (or was) a great champion, assuming still in his prime. Best test of his career, legacy on the line. This is going to be a fun one.

I'm leaning towards Alex but it wouldn't be a confident prediction tbh.

Every fight has been competitive. Its not like Alex walked out of their last fight without having to make adjustments. He got hurt, he got taken down, he got controlled, he was behind on the scorecards.

Same goes for Izzy though. He very obv. wasn't able to impose himself like he usually does. Plus no matter what anyone says, that power Alex has is a proven difference maker. Yes Alex got wobbled, but Izzy got KO'd.

Excited to see the approach by both fighters.

Reactions: HHJ
At the end of the day KO power is the most important factor in MMA. If you have it like Perreira does, you are only ever one punch from winning.

There's something to be said about size. When opponents are of close skill, but one is much bigger, the size advantage will tend to be enough to win. It's a bit like Chito vs. Dom. Chito only needs to land one. Dom has to be perfect the entire fight. The odds of being perfect an entire fight are not good.

The stoppage was questionable?
Are we feeding braindead people in these forums?
You've had four months to cope, so what's your excuse for posting this shit?

Yup. And I feel like history shows that fighters who are in Izzy's position usually clam up and can't find the trigger. But he is (or was) a great champion, assuming still in his prime. Best test of his career, legacy on the line. This is going to be a fun one.
I'm actually a huge fan of how Izzy handles his career overall, despite not enjoying some of his fights. No unnecessary layoffs, no shying from challenges. Showed he can dig deep with Kelvin.

I wouldn't even be mad to see him beat Alex with grappling. I just think that's a riskier proposition than many people realize.

<36>
I didn't know retards were allowed in Sherdog.

Did you miss this line in OP? My post was obviously a joke.

Of course... stupid me. I missed the final line of the OP, which if I had read, I would have then read your brilliant post and been like "har har har... great joke there. This guy wrote the thing that the TS wrote, and posted it, because that make joke go fun fun funny." Like the love child of Mulaney and Colbert, but somehow funnier, your joke writing skills are the stuff of legend. You shine brighter than all turds in the turd bowl that is Sherdog.

Carry on, you non-mentally challenged poop factory.

Last edited:
Of course... stupid me. I missed the final line of the OP, which if I had read, I would have then read your brilliant post and been like "har har har... great joke there. This guy wrote the thing that the TS wrote, and posted it, because that make joke go fun fun funny." Like the love child of Mulaney and Colbert, but somehow funnier, your joke writing skills are the stuff of legend. You shine brighter than all turds in the turd bowl that is Sherdog.

Carry on, you non-mentally challenged poop factory.
My joke being bad doesn't change the fact that you embarrased yourself with your "Welcome to Context City" line. Imagine being this stupid that you tried to call it on me because you ignored the context yourself. I mean, one thing is a bad joke, but being this retarded is on another whole level.

Back