They need to make smaller generational names. Millenial, generation X, etc?

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
I was born in late 1990s. I do not see how millenials include people born in early 1980s.

I have nothing in common with those people. You have most in common with people who are within 1 decade of you i think. It is just so far a gap especially with technology changes now in history.

If you were born in 1990 then yeah you were 10 in 2000 and there is closer stuff i could relate to you. But if you were born in 1982 then you were 18 in the year 2000, and someone born in 1994 or 1992 was 6 or 8 they wont remember shit or have close to your same experience but I can relate and sort of know what someone born in those years is talking about or even 1990. Those kids really had there ´growing´up years in the 2000s and early 2010´s. I had my growing up years in the 2000s i think there more similar thing there.

How can someone who is a teenager in the 1990s at all relate to someone who was only 7 or 8 in the year 2000?

Last edited:
Recently the degree of social change due to technology probably exacerbates the generation gap.

The cutoff basically lets me pick between identifying as Gen X or Millennial, but I have nothing in common psychologically with those kids who grew up never not knowing internet or smartphones.

I agree. I was born in 1982. Millenials are defined by having never lived without the internet, especially during Childhood. We didn’t have the internet for my entire childhood. It didn’t really come along until I was a teenager. My values, taste in music, everything is different from that of most millenials.

Recently the degree of social change due to technology probably exacerbates the generation gap.

The cutoff basically lets me pick between identifying as Gen X or Millennial, but I have nothing in common psychologically with those kids who grew up never not knowing internet or smartphones.

I always remember cellphones. They were shitty but they existed. Internet existed but was slower. I saw on tv everyone had cellphone and ipod, then it switched and people just had it all on 1 thing there phone had all there music.

I agree. I was born in 1982. Millenials are defined by having never lived without the internet, especially during Childhood. We didn’t have the internet for my entire childhood. It didn’t really come along until I was a teenager. My values, taste in music, everything is different from that of most millenials.

without having to google. I honestly think in my head that internet existed in 1970s by US government. But people did not have i am guessing until late 1990s and that only rich people had it and it sucked. I am now guessing people in 1st world countries (US) western europe had all 1 computer in house by early 2000s?

technology makes it crazy.

I got a cousin born in 1986 and another in 1988 but they were both 14 and 12 in 2000. by that age you should be able to remember at least 5 years to 7 years of your childhood that were without phones. But if you were born in 1994 then that is a big gap you were 6 in 2000 and only ever knew cellphone and computer by the time you could remember stuff at like age 8. Who remembers anything at age 5 or 6? I dont at all really.

I always remember cellphones. They were shitty but they existed. Internet existed but was slower. I saw on tv everyone had cellphone and ipod, then it switched and people just had it all on 1 thing there phone had all there music.

without having to google. I honestly think in my head that internet existed in 1970s by US government. But people did not have i am guessing until late 1990s and that only rich people had it and it sucked. I am now guessing people in 1st world countries (US) western europe had all 1 computer in house by early 2000s?

technology makes it crazy.

I got a cousin born in 1986 and another in 1988 but they were both 14 and 12 in 2000. by that age you should be able to remember at least 5 years to 7 years of your childhood that were without phones. But if you were born in 1994 then that is a big gap you were 6 in 2000 and only ever knew cellphone and computer by the time you could remember stuff at like age 8. Who remembers anything at age 5 or 6? I dont at all really.

So yes, the ARPAneg was around since the 70s. That was the military’s internet they developed which eventually morphed into what we have today. I knew people who had AOL as early as 1996 or 97. But it was shit. Not at all the same internet we know today. Cell phones didn’t really become ubiquitous until the year 2000 when I graduated high school. After that, everyone had them, but those were shit too. Once, in the early 90s, my dad got a car phone. That shit was pretty novel. But it didn’t work very well.

Anyway, I remember things back to when I was two years old. Most people don’t though.

The commonly accepted definitions of generations are just general ways to classify people by age. I agree it would be more accurate to have more, but it's not meant to state really anything about someone, other the general time frame in which they were born. An early Millenial is likely to have much more in common with a late Gen X'er than a late Millenial.

On a side note, those of us born in the early-mid 80's are kind of a lost generation, in this line of thinking. A lot of us don't really associate ourselves culturally/philosophically with the general definitions of either Gen X or Millenial.

I'm 31, didn't get a mobile phone until I was about 13 and we didn't get broadband Internet until I was about 17(lived out in the countryside) got dial up when I was about 12.

All I know is broadband internet has definitely made ADD an epidemic.

So yes, the ARPAneg was around since the 70s. That was the military’s internet they developed which eventually morphed into what we have today. I knew people who had AOL as early as 1996 or 97. But it was shit. Not at all the same internet we know today. Cell phones didn’t really become ubiquitous until the year 2000 when I graduated high school. After that, everyone had them, but those were shit too. Once, in the early 90s, my dad got a car phone. That shit was pretty novel. But it didn’t work very well.

Anyway, I remember things back to when I was two years old. Most people don’t though.

how much do you remember? we all have vague random memories but when you can remember your day to day stuff you did and a lot more that is different. I really doubt you remember your daily life as 2 years old.
Millenials wish they were Gen X

heck no!

i wish i was born in 2000 because one day telling younger people i was born in 1990 something sounds old.

to me young is born 1990 after. 1993 maybe cut off. because if you were 10 in 2000 that is way different then being 6 or 7 in 2000.
It's kind of amazing how one of the most emotionally indifferent generations produced one of the most easily traumatized and offended

You never hear about them. I only hear about baby boomer and millenials.
The commonly accepted definitions of generations are just general ways to classify people by age. I agree it would be more accurate to have more, but it's not meant to state really anything about someone, other the general time frame in which they were born. An early Millenial is likely to have much more in common with a late Gen X'er than a late Millenial.

On a side note, those of us born in the early-mid 80's are kind of a lost generation, in this line of thinking. A lot of us don't really associate ourselves culturally/philosophically with the general definitions of either Gen X or Millenial.

wouldnt you have more in common with late generation x people? i feel like a generation should exist for people from 1992 to 2000. Or 1990 to 1999. It weird because someone in 1991 or 1990 should remember time before internet everywhere and phones but they were only 7 to 10 when those memories in full.

the next big generation gap should be 2000 or so till idk maybe now? 2018? Phones and internet everywhere already exists. The stuff has just got better. Another shift is likely to happen

I group them into "Good hard detailed worker" and "Shitty entitled lackluster non-worker"

I know plenty of millennials who are good workers and can physically function without checking their phone every 2 minutes without getting a pat on the head compliment. But they are getting fewer and far between.

The worst thing about people who started school Circa 2000-2001 and on is that they all believe they are unique and special, and that the rest of the world needs to make accommodations so they'll never have to be unhappy for even a second.

They seem to also have the emotional fragility of an eggshell.

This is what happens when you have a public education system that coddles and babies an entire generation?

Yeah, these big, decades-long generational categories were appropriate back when technology moved slower. Baby boomers encompassing almost 20 years makes sense.

But the internet changed all that. Those born about 1978-1988 have their own thing going. Most of our childhood was internet-free, and almost completely cell phone-free. Also, when 9/11 happened we were still young, but very aware of its meaning and magnitude. Most Millennials were children when it happened and don't remember a world when Muslims weren't the evil enemy. And they can barely remember their early childhood without the internet.

i wish i was born in 2000 because one day telling younger people i was born in 1990 something sounds old.

You never hear about them. I only hear about baby boomer and millenials.
Try being born in 1969. I have kids ask me "what was Vietnam like?"

Yeah, you only hear about those two because as the old saying goes "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" they both complain a lot, both pride themselves for their "social enlightenment". You hear boomers brag about protesting the Vietnam war and civil rights, you hear millennials brag about "how accepting" they are and how "socially aware".

the post depression (greatest generation) and Gen X were both pretty pessimistic and pretty much just accepted that life is shitty sometimes.

Yeah, these big, decades-long generational categories were appropriate back when technology moved slower. Baby boomers encompassing almost 20 years makes sense.

But the internet changed all that. Those born about 1978-1988 have their own thing going. Most of our childhood was internet-free, and almost completely cell phone-free. Also, when 9/11 happened we were still young, but very aware of its meaning and magnitude. Most Millennials were children when it happened and don't remember a world when Muslims weren't the evil enemy. And they can barely remember their early childhood without the internet.

that actually makes sense a good age range.

1978=22 in 2000 but grew up without all that stuff
1980=20 in 2000 but grew up without all that stuff for all of 80s and 90s and saw transformation of 90s technology
1985=15 in 2000 but lived there key years of when you start remembering stuff 6/7 to 15 during a time without internet and cell phone everywhere.
1988=12 in 2000 but your key years of 6 to yeah 12 were spent from 1994 to 2000 you would remember those years.

Being born in the late 1980s and as late as 1990 would be interesting. A 10 year old only has a few years of higher thought process of memory but being 10 in 2000 vs being 7 or 6 or 5 is big difference. Idk about you but 5 year olds are so slow and learning basic stuff and dont remember anything. Being a teenager or close to teenager in the 90s and mid 90s is more relatable i think then being under the age of 9 in the 90s. Being a teenager in 90s would be unique to see all the changes in the world and then the explosion of the 2000s.

How about we increase the years covered, but use names with less letters?

It's kind of amazing how one of the most emotionally indifferent generations produced one of the most easily traumatized and offended

kids (as a whole generation) always go the polar opposite direction of their parent's generation.

The 40's greatest generation produced anti-establishment hippie culture of the 60's

The 60's hippie gen produced money hungry, materialistic wall street types of the 80's

Gen X, the "fuck you we don't care about anything" generation produced whiny millenials who care too much about every little thing and are easily offended.

Millennials will probably produce hard ass guerilla war fighters or something, lol.

is normal

kids (as a whole generation) always go the polar opposite direction of their parent's generation.

The 40's greatest generation produced anti-establishment hippie culture of the 60's

The 60's hippie gen produced money hungry, materialistic wall street types of the 80's

Gen X, the "fuck you we don't care about anything" generation produced whiny millenials who care too much about every little thing and are easily offended.

Millennials will probably produce hard ass guerilla war fighters or something, lol.

is normal

If this is true, the generation the Millennials will produce will be the ultimate Americans and the "greatest generation". Currently the greatest generation is by far........the greatest generation. Growing up in the great depression, to go on and fight in WW2 etc.

The 40's greatest generation produced anti-establishment hippie culture

The 60's hippie gen produced money hungry wall street types of the 80's

is normal
I was actually thinking the same things about millennials, they are probably going to have the modern equivalent of the Mongol Horde spewing forth from their loins. REALLY racist rapey insensitive pricks that protest technology or something.

The funny thing about what you said though is the 60's hippies for the most part became the 80's materialistic culture. Most of them were still baby boomers.

Back