This is why leg kicks aren't really effective.

Your "coach" is a moron. Did he tell you to stop throwing jabs too because they rarely finish fights?

I believe the inverse of what TS is saying. People are told not to train them enough, and so they are considered less useful. The fact is that a person that isn't a high-level MT fighter is only going to be able to handle 3-4 before their movement is heavily impacted. After that, it is a continued decline in mobility, which allows you to pick your shots with a higher rate of efficiency. If more people trained it properly along with proper boxing technique, you'd see more finishes coming directly or just-indirectly from leg kicks.

"Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter."

Everyone already knew this.

Thanks to Cecil Peoples, everyone knows leg kicks don't finish fights.

silva%20v%20irvin%20leg%20kick%20counter.gif

Nice leg kick by Irvin.
Every strike has a counter.. even a Jab

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.
Wow your coach seems really smart. Wtf lol. Cecil peoples your sensei?

That kick had some power behind it , unfortunately he should have stuck to a boxing game plan as that’s his bread and butter
Dont kick w a kicker. Its usually a bad idea. Rashad found that out against machida. When the guy is in a diff universe of kicking, dont play that game. He seent it.

well if your coach said so take it 100% literally and never throw another leg kick in your life

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.
can't judge leg kicks only by the direct damage they cause, it's also the effectiveness they bring in combinations with punches or high kicks
plus, it's not just about how useful they are to finish an opponent, it's also useful in weakening the lead leg of a striker. can't really put as much weight on a lead leg when they punch if it's all banged up

If you cant snap a leg kick wtf are you doing with your life?

Yet no one has finished Nate with leg kicks. Cerrone landed quite a few, but Nate punched his face more than Cowboy landed kicks.

Given that Pettis has never finished anyone with leg kicks (and has only used them with some success in one fight), I don't get why 75% of Sherdog thinks he'll beat Nate with leg kicks and "superior movement."

That post of mine is from April 2018, I have no idea why it's been getting likes and quotes now

Nevertheless, I think it's clear that a good gameplan against Nate is to employ a lot of leg kicks, I don't think that's an unfair statement to make. I'm struggling to pick a winner for Diaz - Pettis, I really think it's a 50/50 fight to be honest. As a betting man I definitely wouldn't bet on it, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show.

Well . If your referencing the pettis Diaz fight I'd recomend you watch Diaz last fight. Mcgregor's best success was when he was throwing leg kicks imo

That post of mine is from April 2018, I have no idea why it's been getting likes and quotes now

Nevertheless, I think it's clear that a good gameplan against Nate is to employ a lot of leg kicks, I don't think that's an unfair statement to make. I'm struggling to pick a winner for Diaz - Pettis, I really think it's a 50/50 fight to be honest. As a betting man I definitely wouldn't bet on it, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show.

I agree. I'd give Nate the edge in normal circumstances. I think his chin/durability and high-volume, pressure boxing is a bad match-up for Pettis. But with Nate's 3-year layoff, it's hard to know what he'll look like. I wouldn't bet on it either.

Don’t know anything about leg kicks.

How hard are they to counter or block?

You should throw low kicks against someone who is never going to check it...

Stupid analogy

Leg kicks leave you wider open than jabs
I have literally never been countered throwing a lowkick with one hand up and a little angle on the head movement. This is a great example of a kickboxing coach that learned lowkicks from youtube lol. Good luck TS.

So, has your performance improved after this change?

Back