This is why leg kicks aren't really effective.

They are effective, I would equate them to body shots in boxing where you see it pays down the stretch when your opponent has slowed down and the target area becomes weak and ruins them mentally.

I have literally never been countered throwing a lowkick with one hand up and a little angle on the head movement. This is a great example of a kickboxing coach that learned lowkicks from youtube lol. Good luck TS.

You fought cans all your life, that's why.

Pat Barry used to make dudes tap in mid air from a single leg kick :D

It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.

They make the opponents think and they slow the down. So they are clearly effective... what the hell are we talking about?

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.
the reason this doesn't make sense is basically you're entire argument is "leg kicks don't finish fights" yeah but they're not supposed to.

Body shots very rarely finish fights....(as in just normal punches and kicks to the body, not some crazy liver shot) but they perform a vital task of depleting the opponents stamina and making shots to the head more effective later on.

Leg kicks not only do a similar task to body shots, they hinder mobility. People have gone from dancing around like dillishaw to looking like they're waist deep in mud because of leg kicks. At which point you can pick them apart with actual punches to the face.

So telling me "leg kicks don't finish" is like telling me that running the ball in football doesn't get touchdowns (from the 50 yard line)
Well sure....because you're not trying to get the touchdown/knockout all at once. You're trying to stack up a few first downs one at a time. Heck even just getting 6 yards and then another 6 yards, and suddenly you've got a first down and are that much closer.

Same with leg kicks and body-shots. They almost never finish but they build up to the finish, and make winning the fight a hell of a lot easier.

1st round KO's are awesome, but a style should never be built around them. Styles should be built around a longer term plan (for the day you run into someone who can handle your power and force you to go the distance) and that always includes things like leg-kicks and body-shots.

Telling me "i don't want to leg kick because it's not finishing the fight" sounds like you're focused on finishing the fight too much, and not winning the fight

Back