Thoughts about Colby going to 155 division?

He's one of those guys that would benefit from weight divisions being in 10 pound increments. 145, 155, 165, etc. He was clearly much less muscular than Usman. But cutting all the way to 155 probably would be a bit too much.

Colby can't make 155. But Colby's brilliant heel character has made him the biggest and most bankable star in the UFC. Dana is (finally) going to start a 165 weight division just to give Covington a chance to hold a belt and keep producing record gates and PPV buys for the company.

<45>

He can't make 155. This myth that he's a small WW is getting old. He wrestled at 174 like a decade ago, stop it.

His cardio and pace advantage won't disappear but will visibly notice a difference.

But his wrestling will look more powerful and controlling.

But he'll be more susceptible to KO because of the dehydration.

I don't see it happening. Colby takes 1 or 2 more fights at WW, tries to cash in as much as possible and retires as one of the fighters who absorbed the least amount of damage over a pretty lengthy UFC career.

I have always said since this fight that the way to beat Colby is to attack him with TDs. His fight against Robbie was super frustrating because Robbie was never in any danger but he got sucked into defending TDs with no significant control, sub threat, GnP and standing no power threat. Anyone who fights Colby needs to attack him with TDs. That opens up striking threats and moving him out of his comfort zone of spamming TDs.

No.

His cardio would be compromised and he would be even more pillow fisted.

And not to mention 155 is better than 170, from the top to bottom.

It probably is better top to bottom, but there is no one as good as Usman, who Colby is ALMOST as good as.

I think he's a nightmare match up for Islam.

I think Dustin is a bad match up for Colby though.

If he could successfully fight at 155 he wouldn't be fighting at 170.
Assuming you mean cutting to 55. He can’t make 55. He’s said it multiple times. Otherwise I agree, he would def fight there (and most likely be champ)

I think after this loss, it's obvious Kamaru is just a more powerful version of Colby that he will never be able to beat. He's also 0-2 against him, and no one is giving him another title shot unless Kamaru loses, or Colby can string together another 3 top 10 wins.

Colby always said he doesn't cut too much weight for 170, It should be an easy move for him to lightweight where he won't be outsized. There are a lot of winnable fights down there, especially with his cardio and pressure and a pretty good chin.

I think he should just retire, clearly been relegated to gatekeeper status. Personality and skill have failed him.

If he can cut to 155 without looking like a concentration camp victim, then he should do it and try there.

I think after this loss, it's obvious Kamaru is just a more powerful version of Colby that he will never be able to beat. He's also 0-2 against him, and no one is giving him another title shot unless Kamaru loses, or Colby can string together another 3 top 10 wins.

Colby always said he doesn't cut too much weight for 170, It should be an easy move for him to lightweight where he won't be outsized. There are a lot of winnable fights down there, especially with his cardio and pressure and a pretty good chin.

I think it can be done. He is similar in size to Poirier:

upload_2021-11-8_13-30-58.jpeg

And you are right. Colby's chances to beat Usman aren't great, not to mention he needs a couple of huge victories to get back into the title scene. It might be a good idea to cut his losses now, head down to 155 and dominate. If he can make weight, he has a good chance to be champ with his high output and grappling skills. He would probably beat Poirier and Oliveira, neutralise Islam, and completely murk Conor. Maybe Gaethje can blitz him early before he stacks up cumulative damage, but Gaethje is too hittable IMO and can easily get caught by Colby.

Last edited:

I agree that Colby should give LW a shot. After losing two WW title fights he is quite a bit away from getting a third shot at the WW title again. Colby is a small WW so he should be able to drop down to LW without too much problem. And at LW he should be able to make another run for the title.

The only reason I see for Colby to stay at WW a bit longer is to fight and beat Jorge (b/c I don't think that Jorge will go back down to LW again - especially not just to lose to Colby).

He might be 0-2 against him but that is due to incompetent judges. He did beat him so I don't know how you can say his chances are done when he is good enough to beat the champ.

I've been saying this since before the first usman fight...Colby is a very undersized at ww

He might be 0-2 against him but that is due to incompetent judges. He did beat him so I don't know how you can say his chances are done when he is good enough to beat the champ.
UnpleasantTightKestrel-size_restricted.gif

Defend punchs with his Chin is Win ? I love sherdog<{1-7}>

Back