News Tom Aspinall reveals torn MCL and meniscus in UFC London loss to Curtis Blaydes

People need to strengthen their knees joints/tendons/ligaments before it gets injured and needing surgery. Lots of ways to do it. But usually people only start doing it after it's injured when they are doing rehab and physical therapy after surgery. This is why a lot injure it with a simple miss-step or having the weight not distributed properly. Should be doing a lot of training on just one leg, or distributing most of the weight primarily on one leg.
I think top pro level fighters already do that. Unfortunately combat sports are prone to knee injuries, hell even normal folks not doing sports or only a bit can have knee problems

People need to strengthen their knees joints/tendons/ligaments before it gets injured and needing surgery. Lots of ways to do it. But usually people only start doing it after it's injured when they are doing rehab and physical therapy after surgery. This is why a lot injure it with a simple miss-step or having the weight not distributed properly. Should be doing a lot of training on just one leg, or distributing most of the weight primarily on one leg.
Prehab is better than rehab.

What are some ways to strengthen the knee joints/tendons/ligaments?
I always figured that people should strengthen the muscles around the knee, like the quads, hamstrings, calves etc.
Yes strengthening the muscles around the knee is useful. But stability is more important than overall strength. And strength in multiple planes is more important than strength on a machine.

lots of single leg exercises at good for this. Single leg dl’s, single leg squats, band exercises that engage stabilizer groups while the major muscles do the big work, etc.

I think top pro level fighters already do that. Unfortunately combat sports are prone to knee injuries, hell even normal folks not doing sports or only a bit can have knee problems
There’s a lot to unpack in that post you are replying to. One thing people overlook is that different systems get stronger on different timescales. Ligaments and tendons take longer than muscles. So you can easily overpower your joints if you get strong and explosive really quickly.

Maybe someone can explain it to me please but I don’t see how watching that footage the result is this terrible injury?

Sometimes a minor incident can be the final straw that tears already damaged ligaments. He may have felt something before the fight and convinced himself that it was fine. Not to mention the pressure to show as a headliner

Last little bit: movement training is great because it can establish movement patterns that are useful in multiple tasks (like mma). You can get benefits before you even get stronger because you can quickly establish neuromuscular pathways that lead to better body mechanics.
I think mma fans call that touchbutt in the park though.

Kneesovertoes guy for the win

To strengthten the ligaments you should increase the load on them slowly. Somebody talked about movement training, which is fine, but carries a heightened risk of injury in itself. Now ligaments also need recovery time, but it's like 10 fold longer than with muscle tissue. So it is a challenge especially with heavier people.

Kneesovertoes guy for the win
You can think it's bullshit, or you can try and figure out ways so you don't damage your knees off a kick, jump, miss-step. Injuring your knee from simple movements is not "for the win".

Sucks. I think Blaydes was going to body him but incredibly sad way to see the fight end. I hope he recovers.

To strengthten the ligaments you should increase the load on them slowly. Somebody talked about movement training, which is fine, but carries a heightened risk of injury in itself. Now ligaments also need recovery time, but it's like 10 fold longer than with muscle tissue. So it is a challenge especially with heavier people.
That's the thing, most fighters never train it at all. That's why most injure it so easily. But yes, you have to start slow and with less weights. You have to increase the mobility on it and stretch it little by little so it doesn't tear right away. Also light movements before heavy footwork and sudden movements with sudden shifts in balance. Build the foundation from the bottom up first or else it'll just tear/snap.

I don't really see most pro fighters doing any of it. It is prone to injury but you can minimize the injury and even prevent injury if you happen to strengthen everything around the knees. It requires building the strengthen in rotational movements, or weight shifted movements - most just work on simple bending movements. That's why they damage on the miss-step or when their balance is shifted to put more stress on one leg in a weird angle.

I always figured that people should strengthen the muscles around the knee, like the quads, hamstrings, calves etc.
Footwork and movement drills where you shift your weight from both legs to one leg. Different heights of bending your knees. Also rotational movements. Get some weights on your ankles and prop up your leg off the floor so your leg isn't supporting the weight. You can sit on something and have your leg dangling and only have your thigh supported. From there you can lift up your knees to work the dynamic movements with weights. This focuses more on the ligaments and tendons and not so much the muscle, even though the muscle will still get worked out. You can do rotational movements from there too. Doing the leg workout like this is different than doing it using the machines with the leg curls. It's not the same thing and those doing put the focus on your joints/ligaments/tendons. Those mostly focus on the muscle since everything is stabilized and stationary on those machines.

Also standing up straight. Lift one leg up off the floor and curl your leg backwards so your heel goes towards your thighs. This will also put stress on your joints/ligaments/tendons as well and will strengthen it during movements. Start slow and low weight with everything starting out. Also do the footwork and movement slowly at first before doing is fast and doing sudden movements. You have to build all the supporting muscles/tendons/ligaments first or else you'll just injure yourself during training.

There are a lot of ways to do it, that's just some info I'll give out so people can work on preventing injuries, since these type of injuries put people out for a year plus. Usually I'll keep information like this to myself but this could be helpful to a lot of people.

Knees over toes guy, Joe.

When you think HW future matchups look interesting AF with Gane, Ngannou, Stipe, Jones, Aspinall, Tuivasa... A freak injury happens..

Well there is still undefeated Romanov and Sergey Pavlovich

Tom Brady believes so. He believes yoga, flexibility etc is crucial.
that seriously sucks. He's out for a year+ with that damage.

A young dynamic HW like Tom honestly looked ready to grab the HW division by the balls. Who knows what he'll be like after rehabbing that injury.

I called the meniscus on several threads.

I know his pain.

How late will he be out for?

MCL-Surgery.png

Too bad for Tom, but in a weird way maybe a good thing. The injury TKO did less damage to his career than a KO loss to Blaydes would have done. I think that was what was coming, given Tom's desperate and sloppy attempt to impress everybody with a quick finish.

that seriously sucks. He's out for a year+ with that damage.

A young dynamic HW like Tom honestly looked ready to grab the HW division by the balls. Who knows what he'll be like after rehabbing that injury.
A year+ and then espn+

Too bad for Tom, but in a weird way maybe a good thing. The injury TKO did less damage to his career than a KO loss to Blaydes would have done. I think that was what was coming, given Tom's desperate and sloppy attempt to impress everybody with a quick finish.

At the same time. Like the chin doesnt get better neither do knees

The knee injury makes future injuries more possible

You can think it's bullshit, or you can try and figure out ways so you don't damage your knees off a kick, jump, miss-step. Injuring your knee from simple movements is not "for the win".
Check kneesovertoesguy on YouTube for well-known rehab/prehab/pt exercises. I don’t know enough about him to comment but he has been recommended by people I trust.

Back