Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It was totally rediculous and inplausible in a million different ways, but a still a really nice movie. Would recommend.

True. But, they also said that these “nameless people got their hands of nuclear capable weapons” … when the Russians have already had those for a long time.

Moreover, a direct military attack of America on Russian targets would probably start WW3 and a nuclear war.

I figured it was a country like Iran, that have bought a bunch of Russian weaponry …

I haven't seen it a second time yet but didn't they mention "Iran" by name during one of the briefings?

I haven't seen it a second time yet but didn't they mention "Iran" by name during one of the briefings?

I don’t remember that. I just figured that the director made a conscious decision not to name a specific country, as to not alienate foreign markets.

I just assumed that it was probably somewhere in Iran as:

- Snowy, mountainous terrain.
- Country wants to acquire nuclear weapons.
- The mission was localized and did not trigger WW3.

Sure, they have Russian military equipment such as the Hind D helicopters. But, I’m sure they could have bought them from Russia in some future scenario.

My hope is that it will be a situation where some political asshole is totally sold on the drone program, but then a crisis occurs and the drones don't get the job done. So they have to realize the error of their ways and send up real pilots to kick some ass.

As for your concerns about CGI, I have the same concerns as well. I hope to God that's not the direction they go in. But this statement from the article at least gives me hope: "I think this is a movie that should be in 3-D and in IMAX, and again something that you can shoot practically."

It does seem like there is a lot of danger here for the movie to turn into, as you say, "a sequel in name only." But it seems like they realize that this is really Maverick's movie and that at least is encouraging.

Re-read this 2015 post.

They did not. I saw it for a second time yesterday. No country name ever comes up. NATO is the only mention of any entity.

Movie made almost 400 million back in 1986, soundtrack went 9X platinum, VHS sold 3 million copies

Nobody liked Top Gun

Chael never stops working lol

II can kind of see were his comments come though though.

I think Top Gun is different from say Starwars in that I don't think it really had that big of a fanbase during most of the years inbetween. When I was growing up(almost the same age as Chael) Top Gun was arguebly THE most uncool film that existed, that infamous Tarantino monolog sums it up very well, the film was the height of 80's larger han life ro/bromance and was a whipping boy in the more gritty (and IMHO more homophobic) climate of the 90's.

Top Gun really is something which was very popular in its day then became popular again as interest in the 80's revived in the last decade.

They did not. I saw it for a second time yesterday. No country name ever comes up. NATO is the only mention of any entity.

My daughter has seen the new movie 4 times. She is also a big fan of the first one as well. I think it's hilarious that young people are so into this movie. I saw it yesterday and there were some really young kids (like 10yrs old) this franchise will literally have an 80 yr run.

So which one of you turds is getting smacked in the mouth for not telling me about screenX?! Just watched Maverick for the second time in San Diego and they have theaters with "screenX." Didn't know what it was, but bought the ticket because of the time of day.

Guys! ScreenX is 3 screens (main screen and the wall to your left and right) to where you feel like you're immersed in the scene. So on all the flying scenes, the 2 other screens to your left and right come on and that made this 10 times better than my original viewing! That and no old ladies and their grandchildren giving a play by play each scene. Second viewing was awesome because of these 2 things!
A co-worker told me about ScreenX about how immersive it. Unfortunately before I knew about it I already saw it in IMAX. Even if I were to go back to try to see it now, the screens for the showings have already been removed for ScreenX because they have to reserve it now for that piece of crap Jurassic World 3. I guess ScreenX won't allocate it back to Top Gun till Jurassic World is getting less attendence in the upcoming days till the time Thor starts hogging those screens

My daughter has seen the new movie 4 times. She is also a big fan of the first one as well. I think it's hilarious that young people are so into this movie. I saw it yesterday and there were some really young kids (like 10yrs old) this franchise will literally have an 80 yr run.
Something about just the idea of a fighter jet captures the spirit of imagination across all ages

I'm going this weekend, my brother talked me into it. It's been out long enough I should be able to have enough room where I don't have to smell some random strangers farts... I like going to the movies but I hate nothing more than a packed theater.

This movie is a modern day miracle.

A co-worker told me about ScreenX about how immersive it. Unfortunately before I knew about it I already saw it in IMAX. Even if I were to go back to try to see it now, the screens for the showings have already been removed for ScreenX because they have to reserve it now for that piece of crap Jurassic World 3. I guess ScreenX won't allocate it back to Top Gun till Jurassic World is getting less attendence in the upcoming days till the time Thor starts hogging those screens

I've never heard of this

Back