Total Solar Eclipse

hey @Overpressure you seem to know your eclipse shit.

My dad tried doing the box thing where you have a hole in a box and it slowely gets covered. he said he has done it during dozens of eclipses his whole life and this is the first time it didn't work at all.

Is there any reason for this? Were we too close to the eclipse area?
diffraction.....

foil mirror trick works and you can control where you point it.

My pix blew, anyone got a real good pic?

4XaX7kO.jpg

courtesy a friend on my FB feed in Nebraska

I live on Long Island in New York and we got around 70%-75% of totality. I managed to snag some photos with my DSLR and a solar filter. This is using the stock lens since my long distance lens broke a few years ago.
$

$

I took over 400+ photos. Going to go through them all when I have a minute but these are two taken right at 2:43 when the eclipse was at its peak here

There's a lot of talk lately that the eclipse does not involve the moon passing in front of the sun. Is anyone else run across this? That it is some other object.
There is not a lot of talk lately about the the moon not passing in front of the sun. It is just from those fringe flat earthers who continue to post and spout nonsense that flies in the face of hard tested science.

Last edited:
I was in the total eclipse zone in southern kentucky. The Best part of it was when someone flew a drone overhead and a lady went running for cover because she thought it was an alien spaceship coming to take her away.

What shade number? Only number 14 is safe for looking at the sun.

Seriously? We used to do that all the time in welding class. Given all the other eyes damage I caught in shop I'm surprised they haven't fallen out.

I was in the total eclipse zone in southern kentucky. The Best part of it was when someone flew a drone overhead and a lady went running for cover because she thought it was an alien spaceship coming to take her away.
Yesterday at work a lady called to make a reservation because the wifi on her new laptop wasn't working. We were booked up for the day so I told her I could make one for tomorrow which is now today and she said sure. I told her the earliest time I had available was 1 PM to which she said yes then almost immediately said that won't do sorry and I said oh because you want to see the solar eclipse, that is cool we can make it for after it ends. She proceeds to tell I don't want to see the solar eclipse, I don't to go outside, I'm closing all my blinds and staying inside, I won't even watch it on TV because if I go outside something bad will happen to me, I read up on them and they can put a deadly spell on you and all sorts of weird things. I don't want to risk it. Can we please make it for the evening. I said sure ok and made the reservation for 7 PM. Got off the phone and I just stood there dumbfounded

Seriously? We used to do that all the time in welding class. Given all the other eyes damage I caught in shop I'm surprised they haven't fallen out.

A 10 is just a little bright still. I used a 10 and regular sunglasses. 15 was a little dark. 13-14 was ideal

Get a good effect?
that shit was awesome, and trippy as fuqq, temperature dropped to a cool ass breeze and it was hotter than hell earlier, everything was like dusk, it was awesome!!

that shit was awesome, and trippy as fuqq, temperature dropped to a cool ass breeze and it was hotter than hell earlier, everything was like dusk, it was awesome!!
Where do you live in New York. It was like around 87 degrees here in Nassau county then bam right as the eclipse started to really ramp up the temperature dropped and I felt a breeze. It was crazy and like you said it looked just like dusk for awhile

You sound like you enjoyed it more than almost anyone here - do yourself a favor and plan a trip around the next one to put yourself in the path of totality. It's worth it. We got to watch from the first bits of sun getting covered up with shades on, and then when its all covered by the moon with the ring of the sun halo'd you couldn't see anything with the shades, but it was safe to look at with a naked eye for that brief time. The lighting was like nothing I've ever seen before. Very cool.

You sound like you enjoyed it more than almost anyone here - do yourself a favor and plan a trip around the next one to put yourself in the path of totality. It's worth it. We got to watch from the first bits of sun getting covered up with shades on, and then when its all covered by the moon with the ring of the sun halo'd you couldn't see anything with the shades, but it was safe to look at with a naked eye for that brief time. The lighting was like nothing I've ever seen before. Very cool.
I think he lives near me in NY. We are supposed to get a close to near total eclipse in 2023 with the possibility of it being a total eclipse. From all I've read it'll be around 90% or higher. I cannot wait. This one was amazing even though it wasn't a full solar eclipse. I really enjoyed it and was shocked by the sudden drop in temperature. Didn't expect it to do that.

I think he lives near me in NY. We are supposed to get a close to near total eclipse in 2023 with the possibility of it being a total eclipse. From all I've read it'll be around 90% or higher. I cannot wait. This one was amazing even though it wasn't a full solar eclipse. I really enjoyed it and was shocked by the sudden drop in temperature. Didn't expect it to do that.
It was dope - I was wishing I was an ancient Aztec so I could see everyone freaking out about the world ending and sacrificing virgins on the altar and shit. Kinda crazy how quick it happened from start to finish.

It was full on sunny and clear here, and already t shirt hot at 9:30am... I went inside to roll a joint at full sun and came out with a little bit of the sun starting to get covered and the lighting was just surreal. Had to go inside and grab a hoody from the temp swing.

Next time for sure psychedelics and some planned landscape shots with a nice camera. I'm glad I didn't do one of the huge groups of people gatherings. It was cooler to watch it in the quiet with about 10 friends and a few of their younger kids that had no idea what they were in for.

I'm really glad so many enjoyed this.
Usually people don't give a shit about astronomical phenomena.
My favorite two events:
Supernova 1987 A, and the multiple cometary impacts on Jupiter.

I'm hoping we get a supernova in the Milky Way before I die... unlikely.
But it'd be so awesome.

Back