Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99

I watched it. It was actually very good and had a balanced perspective between ripping the management of the event and realizing that it was a kick ass show regardless.

If HBO had done their Woodstock documentary correctly without the unnecessary fuck whitey politics, then this one probably wouldn’t have been made

Last edited:
2cUfsK5.png

Attachments

• 68ea4780a2ced9311555b238f6ac8e834e007a57_2_345x750.jpg
    68ea4780a2ced9311555b238f6ac8e834e007a57_2_345x750.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 9
I remember it clearly as it was a really shit time in music. Nu Metal was everywhere and a lot of the 90s bands had sold out.

I was still going to gigs and festivals around 99 and the crowds were full of wankers compared to 5 years earlier.
Agreed, it really hasn't stood the test of time. Early 90's were really good, especially in U.K / Europe, mid 90's were still respectable, late 90's were a pretty average time for music in my opinion, Nu-Metal was an abomination and there's a reason no one listens to it anymore.

So what I gather from the comments is that young people have gradually become more and more pussified to the point where everyone is so low energy/low testosterone that concerts have become boringly civilized?

That would be sad if true.

I thought I had posted this but I was there Sherbros. But with a caveat. We stayed in a trailer on the tarmac in a fenced in area to the right rear of the East stage. We had Fraternity bros that were cops and set us up in the lot that housed a lot of the production/cargo trucks. We had access to clean porta potties and had a hose near by for water and hosing off. I just watched the doc and it was pretty accurate but it left out some great acts and also the fact that there were cleaner, less crowded areas and also 2 more stages that did not have those massive issues. I was young and getting laid like crazy back then and I will throw 1 fact out there to those that see all the naked girls and think how great that would have been. I hooked up with some, and I can tell you with all that heat and lack of showering......lets just say I threw some fish back into the pond.

They've all been shit shows from the start. The original Woodstock had the Hells Angers working security which was a disaster. They were actually assaulting band members not to mention dozens of fans. I think one of the guys from Crosby Still and Nash got hit with a pool cue. Some guy died climbing the side of the set and got electrocuted.

I think he might be confusing it with that Rolling Stones debacle.

Yea, thats what I figured but I wasnt sure
Altamont is one of my "favorite" notorious scandals of the music business just cause the venue aint that far from my house, like reading about the history of this area so that story had me All In when I first learned about it

And yet Limp Bizkit just ran MSG.

<BC1>
The Backstreet Boys fill stadiums. That doesn’t mean it’s good music.

Limp Bizkit is definitely not my thing. That said, the band is very tight. They execute really, really well live. They’re not playing anything super technical (or at all technical). But still, I’ve heard many not so technical bands play horribly live.

I saw them at some festival back in like 99 or 2000, and the band just nailed everything.

I remember seeing all about it on the news. I was a teenager at the time. What a strange year that was with Columbine, the Woodstock debacle and then everyone afraid of the looming Y2K. I think people legit thought it was the end times.

it was the end of that timeline
*Grabs foil hat

it was the end of that timeline
*Grabs foil hat

It was a cool year and not because of the things that I mentioned in my previous post. But, I was going into high school after that summer, had my first real girlfriend that summer. Sounds corny, but it was a nostalgic year for me.

Two observations from the doc.

Guys had a lot more testosterone back then for sure. Something like this would never happen today. I don't even think there are bands that could get people pumped up like that anymore. If there are, they're old so their crowds will be older and calmer.

Women need to stop pretending like sexual assault and rape was perfectly okay in decades past. Two or three women on the doc were pretending like rape was just something you had to deal with in the 90s because it was no big deal to society. It was a very big deal back then. It's annoying to watch them pretend like the metoo movement put an end to people being perfectly okay with raping and sexually assaulting women.

As a brother of three sisters I can never overlook sexual assault/rape. However outside of that and the fires...this is just revisionist History from people who have never attended a major festival, and about something that occurred 23 years ago judged by the "standards" of 2022. That bullshit about Day 1 monks "blessing' the event was hilarious.

Sidenote: Their "Peace and Love" original 69 Woodstock was beyond a shitshow too, look it up.

Last edited:
Back