Social Transgender Megathread Vol. 2

Did you join the pronoun circus?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Dunning-Krugger effect could be used to describe the entirety of psychiatric medicine up to this point, with the exception of psychedelics, which seems quite promising for certain things. Shocking people's brains to the point of memory loss was a decision so-called experts in the psychiatric field made. It was experts who decided that removing half of someone's brain was seen as a viable treatment for their psychiatric condition. The experts were doing things ad-hoc, without knowing causes, to the detriment of patients. The sad part is, some of these treatments are still being used to this day.
I’ve noticed that mentioning the Dunning-Krugger effect online is now often a sign that you are suffering from it. People often throw this around, usually towards things they don’t understand or dislike. The Dunning-Krugger effect is thinking you’re knowledgeable about something when you are not knowledgeable about something, and the less you know, the less likely you are to being able to realize this (e.g. a busboy at a restaurant who believes he is an expert in psychiatry and neurosurgery). You are a low-ability moron who knows nothing, and your utter incompetence robs you of the ability to realize it.

This dude is a urologist. His experience using this drug is limited to treating men with prostate cancer.

Lupron itself does not affect bone density. Bone density is affected because sex steroid production is paused when using it. In trans men, blockers have routinely been used in combination with estrogen for decades without deleterious effects on bone density. Bone density is generally not a concern once hormone therapy is started.

People involved in treating trans youth are of course concerned and aware of bone density risks when using drugs like Lupron in teens prior to hormone therapy. There is limited data regarding how long these blockers can be administered as monotherapy before posing a risk. Guidelines recommend keeping these things in mind, getting pretreatment bone mass, following bone mass throughout treatment, steps to promote bone density, and weighing this against the youths response to the treatment.

If they wanted to take steps to enroll all youth receiving blocker monotherapy in a prospective research protocol to collect more comprehensive data, I agree that would be swell. This is essentially what NHS is doing now.

I’ve noticed that mentioning the Dunning-Krugger effect online is now often a sign that you are suffering from it. People often throw this around, usually towards things they don’t understand or dislike. The Dunning-Krugger effect is thinking you’re knowledgeable about something when you are not knowledgeable about something, and the less you know, the less likely you are to being able to realize this (e.g. a busboy at a restaurant who believes he is an expert in psychiatry and neurosurgery). You are a low-ability moron who knows nothing, and your utter incompetence robs you of the ability to realize it.

Thank you for your highly valued opinion, I will be sure to jot it down in my journal and read it when I want to have a good laugh. It takes an idiot to comment on things and it takes and expert to do things in spite of all evidence that what you're doing doesn't work.

It's always good practice to call people stupid never putting forth any evidence why their opinion might be wrong. Since you've got such a hard on for experts here is some "expert opinion" on electroconvulsive therapy. This is from John Read, professor of clinical psychology.

"Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) was first administered in 1938. The first study, in 1951, showed that people who had had ECT fared worse than those who hadn’t.

Today, positive, evidence based, risk-benefit analyses are required for treatments. However, systematic and narrative reviews (by JR and colleagues) identify only 10 studies comparing ECT with placebo for depression (placebo includes general anaesthetic but no shock). Half found no difference. The other five found a temporary lift in mood, but only during the treatment period, and in about only a third of patients. In the famous Northwick Park study this minimal improvement was perceived only by psychiatrists, not by nurses or patients."

https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.k5233.full

Thank you for your highly valued opinion, I will be sure to jot it down in my journal and read it when I want to have a good laugh. It takes an idiot to comment on things and it takes and expert to do things in spite of all evidence that what you're doing doesn't work.

It's always good practice to call people stupid never putting forth any evidence why their opinion might be wrong. Since you've got such a hard on for experts here is some "expert opinion" on electroconvulsive therapy. This is from John Read, professor of clinical psychology.

If I wanted to hear an expert opinion, I would listen to myself talk. John Read is definitely NOT an expert. He has no training in ECT and is not even a physician. This opinion piece is based on a limited selection of old studies published 40-70 years ago which he judged using modern research standards that didn't exist when these studies were originally done. He then concludes the research is limited and of poor quality. For some reason, he ignores most all of the recent high quality clinical trials and metaanalyses of ECT. I'm sure that was just an oversight and not because he is anti-psychiatry or anything. He then claims ECT causes permanent brain damage. For evidence, he cites an article from 1946, a study in frog muscle, minutes from a board meeting, and a letter to an editor. <45>

There's a reason ECT is widely used across the country in every major academic hospital. It is far and away the most effective treatment used in psychiatry and one of the most effective treatments in all of medicine period.

It's funny to me when people appeal to doctors on questions of morality. As if they have some special authority over it. Like with abortion.
Well ethics is part of their education, so I would say they know more about morality than most average joe’s. It’s not a guarantee that someone is moral though, look at doctors who did horrible things. Still the bar is set a little higher for doctors than let’s say the average right wing poster here who wouldn’t know what ethics is, if it bit them in the ass.

How can you have vaginal stenosis when you don't have a vagina? This person has infected wound, that's about it. A vagina isn't a wound. A wound is not a vagina. A vagina doesn't need daily dildoing to stop it healing and closing. Wounds heal and close.

Also this person is a fucking basket case. Listen to how unstable he sounds when speaking.

so how many people decide not to transition at all, not just the final surgery? You should be having at least a few

One of my transgender patients (FtM) told me this morning that he is now pursuing hormones and surgery. He had mentioned some interest in the past when we talked about it but didn’t know how to make it happen. I helped him link with UCSF’s Gender Affirming Health Program. Figured you would be interested to hear.

One of my transgender patients (FtM) told me this morning that he is now pursuing hormones and surgery. He had mentioned some interest in the past when we talked about it but didn’t know how to make it happen. I helped him link with UCSF’s Gender Affirming Health Program. Figured you would be interested to hear.
I don’t know man. This stuff is pretty new comparatively. Given the consequences of a mistake here I’d have a hard time with participating in it. Hopefully it doesn’t end up the next opiate epidemic type of screw up.

I don’t know man. This stuff is pretty new comparatively. Given the consequences of a mistake here I’d have a hard time with participating in it. Hopefully it doesn’t end up the next opiate epidemic type of screw up.
I wish this person the best. He’s been living as a guy since turning adult. In his early 30s now. Got a name change and all that. He wears a chest binder a lot to hide his breasts, which may not be great. When I asked him to do an EKG in the office awhile back, he had a panic attack and cried during it because he hates his breasts and being exposed. Feel bad. I’m guessing he will get a breast reduction and start on masculizing hormones. Hope this brings him peace.

I wish this person the best. He’s been living as a guy since turning adult. In his early 30s now. Got a name change and all that. He wears a chest binder a lot to hide his breasts, which may not be great. When I asked him to do an EKG in the office awhile back, he had a panic attack and cried during it because he hates his breasts and being exposed. Feel bad. I’m guessing he will get a breast reduction and start on masculizing hormones. Hope this brings him peace.
She should get help and learn to accept who she is. No need to medicate and mutilate. Nothing really wrong with just being a masculine woman.

Back