TUF 20: Guide to the Strawweight Division

I'd like to see Amber Stautzenberger try out. 4-1 record (on a 4 fight win streak) Decent prospect. She was ready to step up to Invicta level, but I guess now Invicta level is all in this house.

I assume he is referring to an interview where Eggink said she could more or less easily defeat Carla Esparza and that all Carla had was wrestling. I haven`t read it, but I was told there is another interview where - after becoming the 115 lb champion for her local promotion - she suggested that promotion also make a 125 lb division so she could win that belt too.

Leslie Smith has more or less said she planned on winning both the 125 and 135 belts in Invicta, and she still seems to have a lot of fans...but disrespecting the champion is a bit of a bad attitude, I guess. She seems like a legit fighter to me. I say give her a shot at making the TUF house. If she`s as bad-ass as she claims to be, she`ll make the cast, and then start to wade through Invicta`s talent. If she is "delusional", then she`ll get put in her place.

Jarl

how dare she have confidence in herself and speak the truth about Carla lol

Any idea when they will be holding the tryouts for the remainder 5 spots

Welcome Melendez to TUF 20! :D

Herrig is a legit talented striker. She was 23-5 as a kickboxer and won multiple tournaments as a pro. She even competed in Chuck Norris' short-lived World Combat League. Very few women in MMA can beat her on the feet. I would rank her as the fourth best striker at 115 behind (in no particular order) Inoue, Calderwood, and Torres.

Actually, the other guy has a point, being in Chuck Norris's WCL is sort of a knock against someone's striking. In terms of legit striking, the WCL is to pro boxing or even K-1 at its peak what women's oil wrestling is to elite collegiate wrestling. Being in the WCL is not really got fighting credentials at all.

I hope they bring in some Japanese fighters. There will be another UFC Japan, Japan was long the only place women could make any money fighting or anyone could make any money fighting MMA/kickboxing.

They can get a translator, heck have a Japanese man coach for maximum sexism. With Okami gone I'm not even sure who the best Japanese fighter is in the UFC, Fireball Kid?

I don;t think the Japanese female fighters can make a significant impact unless they somehow get some from women's Olympic Judo to enter. I know there have been 2-3 exceptions but I think Japanese fighters, unless they came from very strong Judo backgrounds, would falter even more than male fighters have in the UFC. Now someone like Kaori Matsumoto I would love to see but it is very hard to tell if that is ever gonna happen.

Heard that Randa Markos via twitter will be fighting again soon in next couple weeks in london ontario as she pushes to make her claim to get in the house. She just came off great fight where she lossed vs the bigger justine Kish a month ago.

I don;t think the Japanese female fighters can make a significant impact unless they somehow get some from women's Olympic Judo to enter. I know there have been 2-3 exceptions but I think Japanese fighters, unless they came from very strong Judo backgrounds, would falter even more than male fighters have in the UFC. Now someone like Kaori Matsumoto I would love to see but it is very hard to tell if that is ever gonna happen.

Mizuki Inoue and Ayaka Hamasaki are serious contenders for Women's SW and AW.
SW will be added with TUF 20, AW probably will come later.

Thank You for putting in the time to lay out this info, TS.

saw this shared by tecia torres on facebook. it seemed to be a nice concise look at the main players, as well as other possibilities and hopefuls.

You might want to include the pictures of each SW in action as well, just for newcomers who don't know who's who =]

You might want to include the pictures of each SW in action as well, just for newcomers who don't know who's who =]

not a bad idea...for reference, of course. :wink:

i'll get on it in the a.m.

I didn't notice this before, but why is Alida Gray not listed as viable for TUF? There are going to be some fighters even older than her trying out for TUF. She is still ranked around #14-17. That said, I don't think she makes it.

Right now if I had to list the 5 that make TUF I would say

Jessica Penne
Justine Kish
Aisling Daly
Heather Clark
Amy Cadwell

I feel confident with the first three. The last two are wide open.

I didn't notice this before, but why is Alida Gray not listed as viable for TUF? There are going to be some fighters even older than her trying out for TUF. She is still ranked around #14-17. That said, I don't think she makes it.

Right now if I had to list the 5 that make TUF I would say

Jessica Penne
Justine Kish
Aisling Daly
Heather Clark
Amy Cadwell

I feel confident with the first three. The last two are wide open.

from the article...(the writer seems to think she may be too old to be a top prospect)

Ayaka Hamasaki, Katja Kankaanp

I wonder how much money it would take the UFC to buy Aguilar's contract from WSOF, couldn't be too much.

-If you had 3-4 Japanese fighters, bring in some translators. They couldn't be too expensive. There have been guys from the UK and a couple from the US that have needed subtitles and they were speaking English.

I wonder how much money it would take the UFC to buy Aguilar's contract from WSOF, couldn't be too much.

-If you had 3-4 Japanese fighters, bring in some translators. They couldn't be too expensive. There have been guys from the UK and a couple from the US that have needed subtitles and they were speaking English.

A bunch of translators roaming in the TUF house?

I really don't think you have thought this through, buddy.

So basically top female fighters who can't speak English won't get the first shot at the title?

Getting+the+job+copy.jpg

/jk

just used their invicta photos, for the most part, for consistency. :wink:

March 18, 2014
THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER 20 TRYOUTS OPEN TO STRAWWEIGHT WOMEN

Tryouts for the first all-women series to be held in Las Vegas Monday, April 28

Coaches will be UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and No. 2 ranked lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez

Las Vegas, Nevada

Back