Turn based RPG's aren't for me anymore

The only turn based game I've ever enjoyed was the 2 Southpark games. I also struggle to enjoy the combat in things like Pillars of Eternity. I've tried to play that game a few times because I hear such praise for it, and while the store seems engaging, the combat just pisses me off.

There are about 1000 videos about the lore. It's quite deep. I wouldn't call it a traditional RPG but it basically has all the elements.

Nothing of this "lore" appear in the game.

It´s just a buggie hack and slash game.

Ive been looking for a single player rpg to get into and not alot really appeals to me from whats out there, the state of online gaming and rpgs is deplorable imo

Nothing of this "lore" appear in the game.

It´s just a buggie hack and slash game.

The lore is entirely in the game. It's just something you have to piece together by reading. It's extra weird that you are posting in a traditional turn based RPG thread which is all about reading saying there is no story when you understand the story through a combination of reading item descriptions and the dialogue that you have to work to learn. (doing peoples quest lines... you know... like in an rpg...) Saying Dark Souls isn't an RPG either means you don't understand the game, or RPG's in general. It doesn't really bother me because you are the one who entirely missed out. The lore is what got me to really enjoy the series.

Can’t stand RPGs now. Too much time investment/grinding. I thought I would enjoy Persona 5, but missing a scripted deadline because of lack of information...and instead of restarting from an earlier save point the only option is to go back a full week of game time.....give me my money and time back.
I haven’t been this angry with a game since NHL 2002

TBH, Battletech got real tedious for me late game.

Just spamming knockdowns and waiting for the AI to do dumb things since they outnumber you like 2:1 with the same quality or better mechs.
The update nerfed missles. finally.

I can deal with it as long as there are no random encounters.

Turn based rpgs are great when played on portables, at least for me.

There are about 1000 videos about the lore. It's quite deep. I wouldn't call it a traditional RPG but it basically has all the elements.

Do you know how much "lore" the world of Street Fighter has?

Do you know how much "lore" the world of Street Fighter has?

You mean the series that has 8-9 games in it and has a movie/tv series? I guess you missed the part where dark souls has every other RPG element? Lore is one of the elements of RPGs, not the only element. Any game should have a lot of story if it goes for that many games and has a movie/tv series. Were you planning to make a point? I responded directly to a comment about no lore.

You mean the series that has 8-9 games in it and has a movie/tv series? I guess you missed the part where dark souls has every other RPG element? Lore is one of the elements of RPGs, not the only element. Any game should have a lot of story if it goes for that many games and has a movie/tv series. Were you planning to make a point? I responded directly to a comment about no lore.

Huh? You're the one who brought up lore buddy. Fyi there are 4 games in the Souls series.

You're getting older. Games dont stick me in front of the monitor like they once did. In fact more often than not I dont even finish them anymore. I dont think the quality has gone down, I just think as you get older it's more difficult for a pastime to keep the hooks in you as it once did.
I find it's that way with almost anything, if you let it. If you think about it, when you're younger, like say a teenager, people have a habit of forming their identities around their interests and as they age, other things (like responsibility) become more important and those once central interests tend to diminish over time.

Tales of Vesperia was a good'n and is a hybrid turn based game, and Dark Souls two was a really good game but obviously isn't a turn based rpg... as someone who also loves turn based rpg's and is also finding games hard to get into I can say character development and interplay is hugely important. Without it, the game must do almost everything right, with it some shortcomings are forgivable... If a character or story arch is relatable or charming then the game has more staying power.

Last edited:
I had a discussion recently with my brother about older games; how we've grown accustomed to certain, now standard gaming features (like fast travel and save anywhere and at any time) and how it can be difficult to go back to more "archaic" games.

The one title I don't think I could play again is Morrowind. I remember trying to get into it again a few years ago and quickly remembered how grindy the first like 20 or so hours can be. You need to know right away what your play style will be and you start out being terrified of anything bigger than rats or bugs.

Ive only played two turn based games... And I actually liked Child of light

Tales of Vesperia was a good'n and is a hybrid turn based game
Yuri is my favorite protagonist ever, the only one that isn't an emo bitch who needs to turn into a man with the story. He is who he is and you deal with it.

Im a big turned based guy but Ive never dug the jrpgs style of it. Wizardy 8, MMX, Lord of Xulima and Blackguards have given me probably over 1000 hours of enjoyment.

Back