Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
I believe the fight with Fury wouldn't have materialized as smoothly if he were part of the UFC, even not at all.

Dana has encountered significant opposition and resistance from powerful figures within the boxing world. Once Francis Ngannou expressed his desire to cross over to boxing, Dana's statements likely triggered strong reactions from influential boxing figures, and they may have worked tirelessly to ensure this fight came to fruition with Fury's participation.

It's plausible to assume that the UFC's attempts and bullying to pressure and coerce Ngannou had a role in Fury's decision to wanting to make that fight happen. Ngannou didn't possess the same level of influence and reach of a Conor. Under the UFC banner, it's questionable whether this fight would have come to fruition.

As the plan unfolded, it does cast some doubts on the UFC's claims of being the best career choice for fighters. This situation has shed light on the fact that the UFC's approach may not always align with the best interests of their athletes in terms of career opportunities and financial gain. A win for the boxing world against Dana.
TS, This point has been made a thousand times. You're right, but just sayin'.

Francis did the unthinkable yesterday. I still firmly believe Wilder sparks him out. And quick. Wilder has all time power.

Do you see Gane dropping Fury tho? Outboxing Fury?
No one would want to see that fight
Gane would maybe stun Fury, but then rush in, chin forward, trying to get the finish with wild punches to the back of the head, and either get caught/countered coming in OR get immediately disqualified (resulting in both corners rushing in, a fracas breaking out, and Gus Johnson telling us that "sometimes these things happen in boxing").

But seriously, you may be on to something - Dana has for years antagonized boxing promoters, and tried to break into the industry with Zuffa Boxing; so it is possible that Fury's promoter was more willing to book the Ngannou fight, both to spite Dana and in hopes of embarassing him / the sport of MMA (when Fury would demolish Ngannou, which obviously didn't happen).

initially i assumed he could milk this boxing foray for 2 or 3 boxing matches, assuming he lost handily. after the fury fight, i think he could probably milk it for 2 or 3 additional matches. if he wins any of them, he can milk it for longer.

he should rematch fury first, since he’s still the biggest name, and there’s interest in it. then he should fight wilder, whom he may actually be able to beat. after that, he should just take the biggest names he can find in any order. i expect most of the top boxers will decline this fight if he loses 2 in a row to fury and wilder because (a) it’s a risky fight, and (b) the shine of beating the “lineal ufc hw champ” will be long gone. i don’t really expect him to beat anyone (except wilder, maybe), so after a while interest will dry up.

of course if he wins all these fights, then the line gets longer. that would be a game changer.

If hes winning fights he isnt milking shit, then hes an actual HW title contender getting his rightful purse money.

Love to see it even though I consider myself a boxing purist. Loved it in MMA too with Kimbo, Lesnar, Hardy etc.

Lyle Alzado did as well vs Ali as Ngannou did against Fury but general public at that time actually had a clue.

Cus D'Amato thought although he couldn't be a top boxer with longevity that Wilt Chamberlain would beat Ali in a boxing match.

At heavyweight in all combat sports nearly all bets are off, especially with someone like Fury who comes in way out of shape and likely goes between being on and off PEDs which can have crazy effects on performance.

I feel like Francis winning a boxing fight (which he did last night unofficially) is a bad look for the sport of boxing. They let Conor n Francis fight the biggest stars in boxing because of the buzz these guys could create, but I don’t think Conor or Francis stood a chance. After the Francis fight last night I’m really interested in seeing how they move forward with him.
That’s what happens when you don’t fight top opposition in long spurts you get flat when an actual fight takes place . Fury loves weak opposition with every now and then getting a legit one in between . He fought Wilder for 3 years and cherry picked guys in between those fights including a prospect Otto Wallin that busted his face up simply because he had some skills but no power in what would have been a TKO anywhere else off a Bob Arum promotion .

It’s easy to stay undefeated in boxing if you don’t fight the top guy’s consistently in this case it just shows once again how overrated Fury is not just about Ngannou who exposed Fury badly last night .Fury’s lucky he’s 6”9 like Wilder would not be a good boxer at all .

Fighters need not look past the ufcs sponsorship policy to know that they will be taxed at every stop and not earn their true market value.

Ufc is a great trampoline for fighters to jump to better things like boxing and acting, it's a great platform for visibility but not financially. Francis was smart enough to spot that and make demands or leave. Bad on the ufc for not conceding to those demands, they had gold in Francis and just let him leave.

Fury’s title defenses are Chisora and Whyte . I don’t think there’s any conversation to be had is there about how great he is ? Do you even know who Chisora is ,did you not see or read about the Ngannou fight a novice ? Give me a break about the topic of great or how good someone is because it’s not in this conversation. Fury’s a top heavyweight but he’s also extremely overrated and always has been .

And your the one talking about panty night ? Talking about losing someone. Lol

<45>

You are too much of a coward to make a thread about how overrated Tyson Fury is before the Ngannou fight.

You are like a vulture or a hyena. You look for weakness and then get negative and 'know it all' attitude. I don't want your negativity to rub off on me. My exchange with you ends here.

Did you watch the fight or just check the compubox stats after. Relax bro, it was definitely a debatable decision.

I watched the fight. Observed Francis do nothing in rounds 5,6,9,10. No objective sane person could score those for Francis. I’d say most people gave rounds 1 and 2 to Fury anyways. Again, folks confuse “doing better than expected” with winning. It happens all the time.

I did't watch the fight live, just bits and pieces here and there, finally watched the whole thing this morning.

My conclusions are as follows.

1. Fury definitely looked like himself and prepared but I think like everybody else he was expecting a much easier fight and it just didn't go down that way.
2. Ngannou was a lot faster and more efficient with his movement than expected.
3. He was able to hurt Fury a lot more than the other way around so Fury had a lot more to worry about when it came to power than the other way around.
4. Ngannou's size, strength, reach, athleticism made a tremendous difference.
5. Fury was not able to bully Ngannou in the clinch and push him down like he did a lot with Wilder, for example because Ngannou understands wrestling and is very strong so that part of Fury's strategy was not available to him.
6. Ngannou's cardio held up much better than expected.
7. Francis outlanded Fury on power shots and had him very hurt at times
8. Ngannou did very little in rounds 9 and 10 as I think he was tired and that was the difference. Had he pressed on, he would have won.
9. I think Ngannou's tendency to focus on power shots and not throw as many smaller punches cost him the fight as Tyson threw a lot more of those.
10. Fury's father needs a good therapist.

It was a close fight, when it came to damage and power shots -- Ngannou definitely won but by the rules we have, it was a close fight and Fury won.

So -- unexpectedly successful transition for Francis and good for him. I think Tyson would win much more decisively next time as now he knows what to expect. Avoiding the clinch, Ngannou's power shots and basically just point dancing his way to a decision, moving in and out would be how he'd win I think.

But Ngannou looked legit as a HW boxer so mad props and respect to him -- this infuses the division with much needed new talent and exciting fights.

Even though this was a mindblowingly good debut and Ngannou proved himself -- I do think Ngannou loses in a rematch to Tyson (probably much worse), AJ and basically any boxer who has the technical skill and proclivity to avoid his power shots and box to a decision.

Now -- the fight that would be really great as many have mentioned is Ngannou VS Wilder -- both have great chins, great KO power -- I'd like to see if Wilder wants this fight and it would be a superfight.

Dillian Whyte and Ruiz are two other fascinating match ups. So, it was a great start but let's see what else can happen here. I'm dying to see him VS Wilder.

But realistically, I think Ngannou loses to Fury in a similar (but probably more decisive) fashion in a rematch, same for AJ. But match ups with people like WIlder, Whyte, Ruiz are really interesting.

37 and he performs like he is 30 and in terms of his cardio, it looked like he has several years of ring experience, to understand how to manage his stamina that effectively. Francis is 37 and won on points in his first match against the lineal champ in boxing. Fucking amazing and the whole world will be watching his next fight. Usyk who? Nobody cares, I want to see a rematch.

Jeff Bridges is 73 not 37...

Fighters need not look past the ufcs sponsorship policy to know that they will be taxed at every stop and not earn their true market value.

Ufc is a great trampoline for fighters to jump to better things like boxing and acting, it's a great platform for visibility but not financially. Francis was smart enough to spot that and make demands or leave. Bad on the ufc for not conceding to those demands, they had gold in Francis and just let him leave.
That's right, it's an opportunity, not a career and now Dana's looking at the 50mil he left on the table by not cross promoting him. Dana whiffed. I hope more top fighters jump to something better.

According to Francis haters he's likely 45 so it makes his accomplishements even betters.

no one is missing this point

Fury does favors to friends

the Chisora and Whyte fights are thought to have been at least partially booked to get guys a payday

Francis likely was the same

Dana is a known enemy of fighter’s pay

The output was very low because Francis managed to dictate the pace of the fight which is an amazing accomplishment in and of itself. Fury came in hot in the first round trying to overwhelm him but Francis got his respect, wasn't biting on feints, dropped him and from thereon out Tyson fought very safe and timid from the outside. Francis slowed the fight down

so? I commented on somebody being extremely impressed and surprised by his cardio

WHY the fight was slow has nothing to do with my comment

it seems a lot of people like yourself are so wound up by people excusing Fury and are defending Francis at every turn like you are in battle mode or something lol

look into my posts the last 24hrs and you'll see I thought Ngannou won and that I am extremely impressed with him

I merely gave an objective reason why his cardio held up as well as it did was because of the pace and output

I think this fight happened largely because Fury was interested in an easy payday. If Francis was trying to get a fight with a completely uninterested fighter, I don't think it would have happened. I never before considered the boxing world coming together to spite Dana White, but I don't think that's what happened.

But I do remember laughing very hard when this fight was announced because it followed a few weeks of Tyson going back and forth with Jon on twitter, leading Jon/UFC to believe he might be interested in a boxing match with Jones. From beginning to end, Jon and the UFC have been utterly fucked with by this fight.

Everyone was saying that and saying it doesn't make you Francis hater, it was common sense
You are old af but can't even understand simple shit like that

Maybe being a noob makes one more insecure and pessimistic. You guys didn’t celebrate Francis for breaking free from the ufc slave contract and getting set for life by securing the Tyson fury fight. People were acting like he made a financial suicide, ducked Jones and is being brought in as a sacrifice by boxing.

time to eat crow

Punch stats reveal Tyson Fury WAS the deserved winner in controversial victory over boxing newbie Francis Ngannou in Saudi Arabia with the Gypsy King landing 12 more punches than his rival

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/b...abia-Gypsy-King-landing-12-punches-rival.html

Nice showing by Francis BUT boxing judges are corruption judges similar to a Jones fight. Unless KTFO, Jones & Fury are getting Ws.

Usyk v Fury next. Not the best showing by Fury. Not the best look on boxing. I think fury was out of shape and didn't train seriously. Francis came in guns blazing.

Was easily out pointed. The guys on mma streams crying about the decision are clueless and effeminate. <Moves>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tysoncards
Back