Media UFC 298 Press Conference Discussion Thread

Was that topuria's version of "it's just business" ?
It could be. But Conor was far more disrespectful to Khabib leading up to that with all the name calling and trying to assault The Eagle.

Topuria has been over the top with saying he's going to make light work of Volk (unless he actually does), but he hasn't been tossing out low blow shit and calling him names like Conor did.

The only thing that mildly concerns me (and I don’t think this will happen), but when a person plays a character or wears a costume long enough, that character seeps into the brain.. think back to when you wore a Halloween costume and you kinda become that thing for a moment..and the longer you wear it, the more it trickles in. I hope Volk playing and old man doesn’t creep into his subconscious. Any doubt at that high level can be detrimental I’m sure. As entertaining as it was, I would have rather seen Volk come in with his normal game face. That being said, I’m sure Volk’s brain is bulletproof. Who knows, maybe it’ll give him old man strength.
Lol read this horseshit

It could be. But Conor was far more disrespectful to Khabib leading up to that with all the name calling and trying to assault The Eagle.

Topuria has been over the top with saying he's going to make light work of Volk (unless he actually does), but he hasn't been tossing out low blow shit and calling him names like Conor did.

Yesh, he hasn't gone as far asConor, but the similarities with conor are numerous. I was actually just responding in a thread about the similarities between the two, but it seems to have now been merged with this one lol

The only thing that mildly concerns me (and I don’t think this will happen), but when a person plays a character or wears a costume long enough, that character seeps into the brain.. think back to when you wore a Halloween costume and you kinda become that thing for a moment..and the longer you wear it, the more it trickles in. I hope Volk playing and old man doesn’t creep into his subconscious. Any doubt at that high level can be detrimental I’m sure. As entertaining as it was, I would have rather seen Volk come in with his normal game face. That being said, I’m sure Volk’s brain is bulletproof. Who knows, maybe it’ll give him old man strength.

Some may disagree, and that's fair.

But honestly I feel people put a touch too much into the mental side of the fight. At the end of the day, when you compete with someone, it's the better one who'll win.

When I go into the gym and roll and spar, sometimes I'm really mentally off, or mentally on, but regardless, I usually beat the people who I usually beat, and lose to the people I usually lose to..

At the end of the day, once you've started sweating a bit and you're in there, it really just comes down to who's better. I get what you mean though.

But honestly I feel people put a touch too much into the mental side of the fight. At the end of the day, when you compete with someone, it's the better one who'll win.

When I go into the gym and roll and spar, sometimes I'm really mentally off, or mentally on, but regardless, I usually beat the people who I usually beat, and lose to the people I usually lose to..

At the end of the day, once you've started sweating a bit and you're in there, it really just comes down to who's better. I get what you mean though.
Very true…

The only time I feel the mental aspect creep up on me sometimes is when I surf waves that require more focus.. if I feel tired, or mentally not there, I can feel it when I surf at times.. Sparring (especially striking sparring vs rolling) brings a different focus for me.. there’s no room to think of other crap.. it’s just complete focus at what’s in front of me.

A lot of different accents on that stage.. Volk is about the only one I could understand

The only time I feel the mental aspect creep up on me sometimes is when I surf waves that require more focus.. if I feel tired, or mentally not there, I can feel it when I surf at times.. Sparring (especially striking sparring vs rolling) brings a different focus for me.. there’s no room to think of other crap.. it’s just complete focus at what’s in front of me.
IMO I saw the opposite - it was a healthy thing for Volk to do. Someone tried to get in his head, he flipped it, made a gag out if it. More than nullified it.

In the end it was Illia who was uncomfortable.

But do agree, result of this fight will not be so heavy on mind games, but skill.

Back