UFC Becomes ExcLusive to ESPN

One thing I heard is that the deal is for 30 events total & not 15 on ESPN & 15 on ESPN+
I have a feeling it will be similar to FS1, where cards begin on OTT & then go to the network for main on some cards.

See, you act like an adult about it
You can disagree with WME-era as far as MMA goes, but it ids asinine to make believe numbers do not exist that show they are doing incredible business wise.
I take them to task all the time on fighter pay & think these interim belts are overboard, but you cannot deny they made a purchase that has paid off incredibly so far.
There's no doubt that they understand how numbers work, and how to make them work for them. I just get the sense they're not real fans. For example, the DJ-TJ fight and several others could've happened under the old regime, simply because Lorenzo and such also wanted to see it go down. Whereas now, these people could care less whether the big names fight. They will continue to pump out content that has already been prepaid for by network, sell advertising at every turn, and make a profit on even the most mundane of ppv cards. They do not care about seeing any fight whatsoever. The balance sheets are what stimulates them, that is what they're fans of, and that's why they bought it. It is what it is.

There's no doubt that they understand how numbers work, and how to make them work for them. I just get the sense they're not real fans. For example, the DJ-TJ fight and several others could've happened under the old regime, simply because Lorenzo and such also wanted to see it go down. Whereas now, these people could care less whether the big names fight. They will continue to pump out content that has already been prepaid for by network, sell advertising at every turn, and make a profit on even the most mundane of ppv cards. They do not care about seeing any fight whatsoever. The balance sheets are what stimulates them, that is what they're fans of, and that's why they bought it. It is what it is.

I said the month of the sale that nobody that bought UFC (WME are not even 50% as of 9/17) are in it for MMA.
They saw a way to own a company that was set up by the previous regime to make money, but they also saw a way to streamline it & turn it into a company that is more about content providing than MMA promotion.
I say these things all the time & pretty much everything i said at the time of the sale was proven correct.
UFC as currently proven is an ATM & in 2.5 years will have gone up 50% in value!

That’s a shit deal for 300 mln a year.

Vince sold his B show for 200m a year and will make at least that on his A show. Plus he has full control of his network with 2 million subs at $120 a year.
What ESPN will get from UFC is essentially their 'B show' (with PPVs being their 'A show'). So it looks like UFC got a hundred million more for their B show than WWE did. Somehow.

I don't know much about sports channels but in the UK are ESPN and BT Sport affiliated? Sure I've spotted an ESPN BT channel

I may be wrong

What ESPN will get from UFC is essentially their 'B show' (with PPVs being their 'A show'). So it looks like UFC got a hundred million more for their B show than WWE did. Somehow.

No, selling Smackdown is the equivalent of just selling the FS1 content.

WWE has Raw, Smackdown, PPVs & the Network (archives and PPVs)

Instead ESPN gets the equivalent of Raw, Smackdown and the Network (archives).

Raw is going to bring in more than Smackdown for rights, at least 300 million.

So Smackdown 200m+Raw 300m+Network 240m=740m a year. No wonder WWE is already worth than the WME purchase.

In the Canadian context that's quite irrelevant though, no? Sure we don't have ESPN and get Fox and affiliates, but our UFC content is on TSN (the Canadian ESPN). So why would what we do and don't get in Canada in any way affect how good/bad this is in the States?
You are not understanding what I am saying.....ESPN is a. Cable network so is TSN, now if you don’t have cable or pay for TV you don’t even have the option to watch a card. At least with FOx it was on free TV once a month. ESPN has been laying people off non stop due a dwindling audience. Free tv vs pay TV, what’s more exposure?

I post the numbers here, all the time
What people choose to comprehend is up to them.

Are WME good for MMA? I'm not sure about that.
Do they pair fair?
UFC never paid fair.

But anybody thinking UFC was not an ATM & that the WME-era is not more profitable/valuable is really foolish.

I hope MMA turns around as far as fan interest goes.
Hopefully ESPN promotes the F outta it.
I scrolled thru this thread just for you input. This story made my local news, kinda cool. The reporter asked " how long has this been a thing? 10 years, less? Exposure is something this deal brings. Im assusming this new deal means some fights on big espn right? What about fight pass exclusive fights? I assume we will still get about 6 a year. While i am not thrilled with the espn deal, this COULD lead to fights on big abc if the ufc can get enough eye balls.

If they are smart they stack the first few cards to gain traction. We all know once your a fan, your stuck.

Steven A. smith gets a lot of agitated, but I like him. One of the few sports commentators (and just about the only black one) willing to call out the BS regarding Kaepernick.
DXFFxGMXkAApR-r

I scrolled thru this thread just for you input. This story made my local news, kinda cool. The reporter asked " how long has this been a thing? 10 years, less? Exposure is something this deal brings. Im assusming this new deal means some fights on big espn right? What about fight pass exclusive fights? I assume we will still get about 6 a year. While i am not thrilled with the espn deal, this COULD lead to fights on big abc if the ufc can get enough eye balls.

If they are smart they stack the first few cards to gain traction. We all know once your a fan, your stuck.

Thanks man

I think the biggest thing about the deal is the added importance of UFC/MMA coverage on Sportscenter, etc.
That is invaluable IMO

No idea about FP now.
they were still going to have FP cards a few weeks ago, but no idea if this changes anything.

Did WME want 500 million or 400 a million?
They wanted 450 million for a deal similar to the FOX package. They had to give up an extra 8 shows and most of US fightpass to get this deal. The last year of the FOX deal paid around 160 million, and WME has to pay 120 million in interest on the 1.8 billion loan. About a 20 million dollar bump up in real terms.

No, selling Smackdown is the equivalent of just selling the FS1 content.

WWE has Raw, Smackdown, PPVs & the Network (archives and PPVs)

Instead ESPN gets the equivalent of Raw, Smackdown and the Network (archives).

Raw is going to bring in more than Smackdown for rights, at least 300 million.

So Smackdown 200m+Raw 300m+Network 240m=740m a year. No wonder WWE is already worth than the WME purchase.

You make little to no sense at all

Thats a lot of money, I'm sure the fighters will see increase show money...<{cruzshake}>

But sherbro economists said the UFC was only worth $2 billion.

I guess that's $1.5 billion of that guestimation covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back