UFC Boxing Edition Version 3

It's pretty obvious watching that fight that Algieri wasn't particularly skilled at that point in his combat sports career.

Also, this is a ridiculous debate. Algieri probably could have real success in MMA, but he's already said that he's not interested in the transition. It's never going to happen and trying to compare his durability to McGregor's isn't the most worthwhile debate, either.

He certainly has gotten much better since then. I think he would be top 10 within a year, he already has a kickboxing and wrestling background correct? Would be pretty easy for him to make the transition imo.

I'm not saying they can't have power, but if you're as skilled as he is you shouldn't get caught with a shot like that. Combat sports anything can happen though. From what I remember it was a check hook he didn't see.

I know, he maybe made the mistake or just lost to an opponent whom he should have not lost to. But I only said the whole thing because there was talk of chin there, not skill

Level change negates a lot of that. Conor would be on his back A LOT in that fight. Frankie can pass guard, do damage and submit you from top too.

Will be an interesting fight, would depend if Conor can keep on his feet. A reach advantage in MMA isn't as clear cut as it is in boxing, if you're giving away 6 inches to a similarly skilled boxer it's very bloody hard to win.

I don't think his kickboxing background would be particularly relevant considering the type of kickboxing he did, but his boxing experience would be extremely useful. He was the New York Catholic system state champ in New York and reached the semi-finals for the public state championships (this is according to Wikipedia and doesn't appear to be directly sourced so take it with a grain of salt).
I did wrestling in new york for a while actually. I remember that the catholic school league was different from ours, I also remember that it was either really shit or really good, can't remember which (I think it was shit).

I'm guessing it was worse. Still, he competed in the public championships and placed in the top 5 (and was also invited to nationals).
nationals is pretty impressive. NY states is usually considered fairly competitive. We aren't Pennsylvania, but we also aren't Colorado

Debating on whether or not to buy UFC 195, really fun card, some nice matchups.

Debating on whether or not to buy UFC 195, really fun card, some nice matchups.

Main event and Co-main event are great fights, the rest of the card is blah.

Although Joseph Duffy looks promising. He should be on the main card.

Main event and Co-main event are great fights, the rest of the card is blah.

Although Joseph Duffy looks promising. He should be on the main card.

Larkin vs Tumenov will be an awesome striking matchup. Brian Ortega vs Brandao will be wild too, a lot of people are high on Ortega. They aren't big names yet but in terms of action there should be plenty. Yeah Duffy vs Porier should be on the main card for sure. Excited to see Michael McDonald back finally too. I think in terms of action it will be worth it, don't think it will do a big buy rate.

Just caught the Overeem v JDS match up, are these guys highly ranked at the moment? Seemed like both guys were almost too respectful of each other.

I think UFC 195 is fantastic. Great championship bout, Lawler vs Condit should be hell of a fight, Miocic vs Arlovski is a very decent HW match up, Gastelum vs Noke is a decent match up although I personally dont care too much about it. Great to see Larkin back, explosive striking and I have heard only good things about Tumenov here.

Michael McDonald makes a comeback, good to see him back. And if I used word explosive on Larkin, it would definitely fit Abel Trujillo aswell, although I cant say that I know his opponent

Poirier vs Duffy will have FOTN potential

I think UFC 195 is fantastic. Great championship bout, Lawler vs Condit should be hell of a fight, Miocic vs Arlovski is a very decent HW match up, Gastelum vs Noke is a decent match up although I personally dont care too much about it. Great to see Larkin back, explosive striking and I have heard only good things about Tumenov here.

Michael McDonald makes a comeback, good to see him back. And if I used word explosive on Larkin, it would definitely fit Abel Trujillo aswell, although I cant say that I know his opponent

Poirier vs Duffy will have FOTN potential

What chance does AA have, loved this guy about ten years ago?

What chance does AA have, loved this guy about ten years ago?

He has gotten better after his strikeforce tint years ago, is on a six fight winning streak and has some good wins. But he does seem to get very sloppy when brawling (look at the Browne fight, while entertaining, it was far, far from technical), but of course since its HW, there is always a puncher's chance and Andrei isn't bad fighter by any means. But I think that Stipe is just too good and wins by TKO or UD. But that's just my opinion, who knows what will happen

He has gotten better after his strikeforce tint years ago, is on a six fight winning streak and has some good wins. But he does seem to get very sloppy when brawling (look at the Browne fight, while entertaining, it was far, far from technical), but of course since its HW, there is always a puncher's chance and Andrei isn't bad fighter by any means. But I think that Stipe is just too good and wins by TKO or UD. But that's just my opinion, who knows what will happen

Cheers dude, I don't watch UFC much anymore, though I still get nostalgic for the Mark Kerr days.

Cheers dude, I don't watch UFC much anymore, though I still get nostalgic for the Mark Kerr days.

There are still some great fights from time to time, if you are not that intested in the sport anymore I dont necessarily recommend ordering PPV's or watching fights live, but you can still watch the great fights later on, there is always a way

As for your question earlier about JDS or Reem, I dont know if they were ranked very high or not, JDS was a former champ, but many consider him "shot" at this point. I dont know if I would go that far, but he isn't what he used to be, he has lost speed and isn't as aggressive as before. He was in some wars with Miocic (Arlovski's upcoming opponent) and against Velasquez twice, and those three fights definitely took a heavy toll on his body.

Overeem is always a dangerous striker, but doesn't have the best chin and has been knocked out quite a few times. Overeem's gas tank hasn't always been the best one so I think nowadays he will be pretty gas preserving in his fights

I think my current MMA P4P looks something like this:
1. MM
2. Jones
3. RDA
4. Rockhold
5. Conor
6. TJ
7. Aldo
8. Werdum
9. Lawler
10. Weidman

I might put Edgar or Cormier in there ahead of Weidman.
that's fair, Weidman really impressed me through his career so far, but damn that fight with Rockhold was a beatdown. I wouldn't be opposed to having DC or Edgar in there instead. Hendricks and Rory are decent options too.I'd have Cruz if he were more active, no doubt about that, big fan of Dom.

that's fair, Weidman really impressed me through his career so far, but damn that fight with Rockhold was a beatdown. I wouldn't be opposed to having DC or Edgar in there instead. Hendricks and Rory are decent options too.I'd have Cruz if he were more active, no doubt about that, big fan of Dom.

It really wasn't though. Weidman won the first round, and was winning the third until that stupid fucking wheelkick thing he tried to throw. Rockhold was looking gassed to shit as well. Really was a seriously dumb move. You gotta question if he will be the same after that brutal brutal why Herb Dean just let him take untold amounts of punishment.

Back