UFC Fight Night 172 Eye vs. Calvillo

Well I don't know about that. I had money on Borg, I was shocked at how easily he got taken down over and over again. Yeah he was ok in the 3d round, and his striking whenever he actually let his hands go was alright but still a very disappointing performance in my opinion. It could be he is just too small for the 135 lbs division. I guess we will know more after this fight.

Borgs boxing looked really good to me. Quick hands and nice body shots. I agree he is too small for division but for his first fight in division he held his own and had plenty of moments. It was a close fight.

His boxing looked solid but Simons striking is pretty bad. I think Borg is too small for 135. Ricky ragdolled him like Borg usually does fighters when he misses weight.

100% agree he looked too small but its not like he was completely dominated in wrestling and held down. Maybe having a fight at this weight class under his belt will benefit borg.

Long story short borg was very game against a bigger wrestler last fight and I think he had a chance in this fight. I think +350 is a little off and worth a small bet (i put 75 bucks)

really a dude with a 3-1 record should be the favourite?? I don't know anything about this guy but that looks extremely underwhelming.
He has a 13-3 kickboxing career and had a good amateur MMA career before he started fighting for Bellator. I think he has more power than Benoit (who was already even odds) and throws a lot more volume. His footwork is super smooth (but in MMA that is obv gonna be different) and he switches stance like he's been practicing since the womb. I think his head movement leaves something to be desired but he's gonna make it a dirty fight which I don't think favors a precision-potshotter like Nam.

Also I doubt Nam is gonna try to take him down, and even if he does .... still willing to take him at dog odds/

He has a 13-3 kickboxing career and had a good amateur MMA career before he started fighting for Bellator. I think he has more power than Benoit (who was already even odds) and throws a lot more volume. His footwork is super smooth (but in MMA that is obv gonna be different) and he switches stance like he's been practicing since the womb. I think his head movement leaves something to be desired but he's gonna make it a dirty fight which I don't think favors a precision-potshotter like Nam.

Also I doubt Nam is gonna try to take him down, and even if he does .... still willing to take him at dog odds/
If it gets at all hairy in there, Zarrukh showed good takedowns and grappling himself. He did get mounted in the 3rd which wasn't a great look, partly why I think Nam ITD may be a good hedge since he's probably gonna be bigger, stronger and might have the better cardio (hard to tell). Also I think Nam does hit hard, he's just too inactive for me to be the favorite.

Choi walking Jourdain down for most of r2 with a broken arm really makes me want to bet Fili. Especially since he broke it late in r1. Jourdain's footwork isn't great. Fili moves well and has the faster hands. After his octagon interview I still don't know if Jourdain thinks he fought Korean Zombie.

Zarukh line at +175 sounds good. At -115 I don’t think I’ll be willing to take the risk

Lmfao Avila v Mazany FGTD line is at 2.5 (+150)

Mazany is far from good, but it's still a WMMA fight, and it's not like Avila hits as hard as the freight train that is Macy Chiasson

Lmfao Avila v Mazany FGTD line is at 2.5 (+150)

Mazany is far from good, but it's still a WMMA fight, and it's not like Avila hits as hard as the freight train that is Macy Chiasson
she hits harder.

I'm not really into the whole parlay play for MMA but I thought I may try one just for fun. Any weak link suggestion, or confident pick recommendations to add for this parlay?

Eye/Calvillo GTD 8/15
Vettori/Roberson Over 2.5 1/2
Fili 4/9
Espinosa 8/13

Total +440

she hits harder.

She does not. Against a common opponent, Pannie Kianzad, Chiasson had her virtually knocked out at the beginning of the 2nd round before submitting her. Meanwhile, she went the distance with Avila.

Moreover, Avila fights very stupidly at times, at one point clinching with Pannie after hurting her.

Mazany is dreadful, but I wouldn't bet Avila ITD at the current minus odds. Recall that we just watched Amanda Nunes carry Felicia Spencer all 5 rounds when she could have finished her in the first stanza.

Some people out there actually think that Charles Rosa was beating Burgos in the stand up, unbelievable..

Rosa seems to be devolving, earlier on in his career he would attack the takedowns harder, and keep things fairly tight in his stand up.

Recently though he has looked to shoot maybe 3 or 4 times per fight but they seem so half hearted, if you're happy to just fall down he'll take it but if you show any first level resistance he just gives up on the idea.

His striking has added a consistent leg kick, he can land 20+ per fight easily, and that really is his best weapon. He will change it up at times and go to the body but there is no snap or speed on anything he throws, it takes those 20+ kicks for the damage to add up.

His hands are shambolic, just winging every punch, throwing huge slow over hands while looking directly at the floor, zero technique or defense in mind.

An Elias Theodorou school of special needs striking graduate, his flailing rag doll style poses no danger other than a fluke, he has no jab.

Kevin Aguilar is heavy on the lead leg, and that is my only concern for him in this fight, if he stays heavy on the lead leg and doesn't counter the kicks they could cause issues as the fight goes on, but he has shown he can counter low kicks well against much better and more threatening strikers previously, usually punching to the body as his opponent kicks.

His TDD is very good, especially against first layer take down attempts, chain wrestlers could probably find much more success but Charles Rosa is not that.

Rosa has a good attacking guard and will threaten with submissions from all positions, the downside is he can also end up spending too much time on his back, attacking low percentage subs while taking damage and having the clock run down on him.

Kevin has the faster, crisper hands and holds much more power.

Both men are very tough, but we may be seeing the decline of Kevin's chin in progress, but with that I don't think Rosa has the power to really be a threat barring a lucky over hand swing connecting.

Kevin Aguilar by TKO/KO or decision would be my pick, but this is a short notice fight for both men so I'll be taking a look at weigh ins before making any kind of play.

merab/borg going to decision at -300 is steep, but is guaranteed money imo

also, if u can get ur hands on holly holm at Even money vs irene aldana... seems like a steal to me. holm should be -300..

EDIT: i mean, is it me or is -120 on holm CRRAAAZYY? is there something we dont know? irene aldana is just not the one to beat her... are they trying to create a new star with her? are we gonna see a shady decision? these type of odds scare the crap out of me. either i found a gem or something is up

Last edited:
I wanted to bet Minner but after watching tape I just can't. He has bad fight IQ and is reckless rushing in with his hands down. I don't know who wins but I can't bet Minner here.
yeah you might as well jsut bet round 1 minner, that is almost the only way he ever wins. The problem is that Griffin is very hard to submit. Minner round 1 is still +550

Back