UFC Vegas 81: Yusuff vs. Barboza, October 14

Put 1.5U on a 2 fight parley
T.J. Brown Win over Darren Elkins + Sodiq Yusuff Win over Edson Barboza @+135

First fight is mostly a fade on Elkins. In his last fight he looked terrible, he was slow, sloppy and to be honest looked completely washed. I wrote in my notes "He is retiring, getting cut or loses next fight ITD."
On the other hand I think T.J is low key pretty solid. He has solid takedowns and pretty good stand-up. He also hits hard. He is a bit of a brawler and showed that he is pretty reckless in the stand-up in both his last 2 fights, but I don't think Elkins can punish him for it. I think this is a very favourable matchup for T.J. Perhaps old Elkins could beat him with pressure and grit, but not this version.

The second fight, I'm not as confident in but I wanted a second leg and I do think Yusuff takes is more often then not.
Edson is very much hit or miss and I have no doubt he can come in and land a bomb on Yusuff and it's all over.
Yusuff is in my opinion a really good fighter and this seems like a good matchup for him. He should be able to get this fight up against the cage and then get it to the ground where he should have a big advantage.
Saying Edsen is old is really getting old... but I'm going to say it again. His super explosive style and age does not go well together. He nuked Billy Q, but outside of that his wins lately carries a bit of an asterisk in my opinion. The KO of Shane was weird and I remember Shane winning that fight before the KO. Amirkhani is not really UFC caliber so I don't rate that win high at all. His losses are all to quality opponents, but I feel that Yusuff is just that, a quality opponent.
Edson can KO anyone, i have no doubt, but I think at this stage in their respective career I rate Yusuff quite a lot higher actually.

Last edited:
Barboza's Kryptonite is pressure fighters. He's always tried to fend them off with power punches, and fatigued himself in the process. I took Yusuff at -173, and am surprised to see his line improving. Currently -162.

Barboza's Kryptonite is pressure fighters. He's always tried to fend them off with power punches, and fatigued himself in the process. I took Yusuff at -173, and am surprised to see his line improving. Currently -162.
Agree, i was also surpised about that.

Is it weird that, Cameron Saaiman to win over Christian Rodriguez is at +145?

Personally, I probably lean Saaiman as a slight favourite in this fight.
C-Rod is a good fighter and his last win against Rosas was impressive, but Rosas gassed hard in that fight. I have been quite impressed by Saaiman, i think he is very well rounded and he has that confident swagger that I like.

Haven't done all the research yet, but I did place a 05U bet on Saaiman. Will do some more resarch and perhaps load up more. What you guys think?

If odds remain the same I'm gonna have a lot of "big bets" this event current odds according to best fight odds

Dixon-135
Oliveira+300
Brown-185
Saimann+110
Maia-155.
Yusuff-165

Is it weird that, Cameron Saaiman to win over Christian Rodriguez is at +145?

Personally, I probably lean Saaiman as a slight favourite in this fight.
C-Rod is a good fighter and his last win against Rosas was impressive, but Rosas gassed hard in that fight. I have been quite impressed by Saaiman, i think he is very well rounded and he has that confident swagger that I like.

Haven't done all the research yet, but I did place a 05U bet on Saaiman. Will do some more resarch and perhaps load up more. What you guys think?

Gotta like unbeaten, young, confident and techique wise pretty techinical and athletic guy with dog odds.

Saaiman seems technically over-matched in terms of BJJ. Not saying he'll lose, but I don't have a huge amount of confidence in him. His TDD will have a lot of influence on how this fight plays out. Standing, he will have a significant edge. I like his use of head movement. There's value in him at dog odds IMO, but I won't go crazy.

Think Pereira can stay on his feet against Petroski? Petroski showed against Mearshardt that his striking is garbage and he gasses terribly against guys who can fend off his wrestling attack. He's taking this fight on short notice AFAIK, which should exacerbate the gassing. That said, he is a pretty damn good wrestler and tends to have his way with a lot of people. Thoughts?

"Russian Ronda" Alekseeva and Dixon both have pretty poor striking from what I've seen. Alekseeva should have the grappling advantage as a 3x World Sambo Champion. Currently +125. I might just take the over at -180, as I don't think either can finish the other.

There have been some big line movements on this card. Yanez opened at -300, now settled as a -110 pick-'em. Pereira +190 to -135. Alekseeva -225 to +125. Gutierrez +190 to -190. Ducote -600 to -330.

"Russian Ronda" Alekseeva and Dixon both have pretty poor striking from what I've seen. Alekseeva should have the grappling advantage as a 3x World Sambo Champion. Currently +125. I might just take the over at -180, as I don't think either can finish the other.

Melissa Dixon has heavy ground and pound, look at her last fight, I definitely wouldn't pay juice to play the over in one of her fights.

There have been some big line movements on this card. Yanez opened at -300, now settled as a -110 pick-'em. Pereira +190 to -135. Alekseeva -225 to +125. Gutierrez +190 to -190. Ducote -600 to -330.

I think these crazy opening lines are intentional 'mistakes'. They opened Buckley +150 against Morono too and line insta flipped. Been happening too often recently especially with BetOnline.

I feel like Saiiman at 2.15 is a solid bet, he seems a solid all round prospect and being on this run along side his team mate Dricus has to be a good thing.

If you like Yusuff you probably won't get better odds than now (-142 BOL).

I have a question about BOL's freeplays. If your bet wins, do you get to keep the freeplay money, or just the proceeds of the bet?

If you like Yusuff you probably won't get better odds than now (-142 BOL).

I have a question about BOL's freeplays. If your bet wins, do you get to keep the freeplay money, or just the proceeds of the bet?
Negative. Just the proceeds of the bet.

With that being said, it’s best to use your free play money on the best odds possible to get the most value out of them. Save it for + money plays. Haven’t had a free play on Bol in a very long time, but I remember the cap being around +110.

Ive always overrated Barboza but dont mind him at dog odds

Too many people jumping on Saiiman, reaching contrarian play levels imo

Yesterday I did some tape on Irina Alekseeva and Melissa Dixon. As some of you know, there is isn't that much to watch so this comes down to a handful of fights in total.

I ended up putting 0.5U on Irina Alekseeva to win over Melissa Dixon @+125.
I will say that I base most of this bet on the last fight for each lady, although the other fights sort of enhanced my view that I had formed after watching those fights.

Melissa fought Darya Zheleznyakova. Darya was quite easily getting the better of the stand-ups and had I not known the result in advanced I would have guessed that Darya would eventually get Melissa out of there. Melissa then gets the fight to the ground and the fight is completely reversed. Darya has absolutely no clue what to do on the ground and Melissa handily pounds her out super fast even though the round was about to end at any second.
I have seen some people say that Melissa has strong ground and pound, but in this particular fight, i feel that Darya's complete lack of ground game was the deciding factor more so than Melissa being some Smashing Machine.

Melissa also fought Rizlen Zouak and I wasn't impressed at all with Melissa. I think Zouak would lose to any girl in the UFC. She kept going for this stupid head and arm throw despite being exhausted and ended up giving up the back. Not sure how much you can make of this fight, Zouak was just too bad in all aspects of MMA. If anything, Melissa should have dominated this fight more... especially if ground and pound is her speciality. She was gifted so many favourable spots and did little with them.

Irina fought Stephanie Egger. I had just watched the Melissa and Darya fight and what struck me was that Irina and Darya sort fights a bit similar in the stand-up. Darya being more technical and Irina being more of a brawler, but they are both long flailing arms and hooks. My gut feeling was that if Darya could win the stand-up, then Irina should as well. Irina will most likely take quite a few punches, but she seems quite happy to take 1 to give 1.... or even take 2 or 3 to give one.
Irina has the Sambo background and we saw that she has at least a pretty slick knee bar submission. She is for sure better on the ground then both of Melissas last opponents. I mean Darya got absolutely smoked in 30 seconds on the ground and Zouak was just horrible.

A brawl with both ladies getting hit is going to favour Irina imo. I think Melissa wants to keep it technical with a few pot shots here and there, while Irina wants the opposite. You can sort of see that this is what she prefers in round 1 vs Zouak. There is no way that Irina will let her have that fight. Irina will come forward no stop. Therefore I think Irina will win the stand-up, it wont be pretty and it might take some time, but she will wear Melissa out if this fight is kept standing.

So, can Melissa get this fight to the ground? I think she can and I think she will. Irina seems way to flailing for me to believe she has a good takedown defence. If Melissa can hold Irina down long enough and land ground and pound, she will win. If Irina can keep the fight standing she will win. There is also a scenario where both ladies just shows what they are made of and slug it out for 15 minutes in that case, who knows.

With all that being said.... and that was more than I planned on writing. I think Irina's pressure will wear Melissa down over time and I think that in round 2 and 3 the pressure will be to much and Melissa will lose more and more in the striking and have a harder and harder time getting the fight to the ground.

I lean 60-40 in Irinas favour and with the odds where they are I feel that there is good value on Irina here.

She kept going for this stupid head and arm throw despite being exhausted and ended up giving up the back.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but these throws that you are labeling stupid were executed by a woman who represented Morocco in judo at the 2012 & 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

Surely she, if absolutely anyone, is making optimal throwing decisions.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but these throws that you are labeling stupid were executed by a woman who represented Morocco in judo at the 2012 & 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

I don't agree that just because she was a great judo player she knows when to do a throw. She ended up with Melissa on her back every time.
Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

You could make that same argument for wrestlers who shoot naked shots that get sprawled on though, like Crutchmer against Jaleel Willis for example. Or even with someone like Gokhan Saki throwing a naked leg kick against Rountree and getting laid out.

Being credentialed doesn't make you impervious to making any bad reads or mistakes in MMA.

Think I like Barboza as a dog.

Sodiq is good but I don't think he has the power to put Barboza away or the wrestling to ground Barboza. Barbozas had a couple of close decisions go against him in the past (I still think he won the Ige fight) but generally he's still an elite striker and the way to beating him generally involves either grounding him or putting a beating on him.

Sodiq may end up being able to hang with him but I think it's a step up for Sodiq and he couldn't make that step up when he last tried against Allen. I was on Barboza against Billy Q (and Hooker way back when) for similar reasons and think I like Barboza in this instance too.

Back