Elections US Democratic senator Joe Manchin will not seek re-election in 2024

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
“West Virginia’s controversial Democratic US senator Joe Manchin has announced that he will not seek re-election in 2024 and will instead “fight to unite the middle”.

The 76-year-old senator, who for years has held an outsized degree of power within the Democratic party and often defied its leadership, appeared in July at an event held by a political group exploring a third-party presidential bid.”

The Guardian

So, the speculation can come to an end, because Joe is off on his own adventure.

“West Virginia’s controversial Democratic US senator Joe Manchin has announced that he will not seek re-election in 2024 and will instead “fight to unite the middle”.

The 76-year-old senator, who for years has held an outsized degree of power within the Democratic party and often defied its leadership, appeared in July at an event held by a political group exploring a third-party presidential bid.”

The Guardian

So, the speculation can come to an end, because Joe is off on his own adventure.

Thank god, hes a fucking turd and ruined a very good infrastructure bill that we needed

"Democratic" should always be in gigantic quotes when referring to Manchin or Sinema

He was Dems only shot at holding that seat. They will now need a pick up elsewhere on the map. I disagree with his politics but I think the Dems can be a big tent party. Whatever legislation the Dems want to pass, with Manchin there Dems might get a watered down version. Without Manchin they may get nothing.

Now there's a man who knows when he's beat.

"Democratic" should always be in gigantic quotes when referring to Manchin or Sinema

He's always been a conservative Democrat. The parties dont signify right or left. There are a few Conservative Democrats. Cuellar is also one, and is famously anti-choice.

Bet you anything he goes into Lobbying after this.

He was one of the best shots the dems had at holding that seat. Progs may be happy but dems lose a vote

He is not a democrat by any modern standard. He was a holdover from earlier version of party, exclusive to west virginia's blue collar workers

They will now probably elect a republican

Hopefully this leads to a Manchin presidential run in 24. The time is right for a ticket of moderates. Both parties cater too much to their extreme elements and there are a whole lot of voters who want no part of the Biden/Trump shitshow part 2.

0927dino-democrats.jpg

He was Dems only shot at holding that seat. They will now need a pick up elsewhere on the map. I disagree with his politics but I think the Dems can be a big tent party. Whatever legislation the Dems want to pass, with Manchin there Dems might get a watered down version. Without Manchin they may get nothing.

I disagree. I think they could pick a socially moderate more economically left candidate and win. Especially if the GOP picks a wingnut. West Viriginians support a 15 dollar minimum wage, which Manchin was opposed to.

I disagree. I think they could pick a socially moderate more economically left candidate and win. Especially if the GOP picks a wingnut. West Viriginians support a 15 dollar minimum wage, which Manchin was opposed to.

You could say the same about Florida though lol.

Not sure if $15 minimum wage is a good gauge. I would bet that almost every red state would support it if it was a ballot initiative.

Most of these people support Obama Care as well as long you don't call it that.

Republicans will vote for anything that benefits them as long as it isn't attached to a democrat. When Bernie Sanders supports $15 minimum wage, republican voters call him insane. Put it on the ballot and they overwhelmingly support it as a stand alone issue. These people aren't consistent at all.

Thank god, hes a fucking turd and ruined a very good infrastructure bill that we needed

He voted through BIF and IRA. Is your complaint the modifications?

Hopefully this leads to a Manchin presidential run in 24. The time is right for a ticket of moderates. Both parties cater too much to their extreme elements and there are a whole lot of voters who want no part of the Biden/Trump shitshow part 2.

I don't have a problem with him but if he were to run third party, I'd consider him a POS for doing so. If he does have that ambition, he should throw his hat into the primary and not try to play spoiler for the general. By that point, you'd possibly have two primary where both Biden and Trump got through so there would be no one left to blame for the general except the voters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back