Video: Key Bridge in Maryland collapses after being struck by container ship

Is this a major bridge in the area of a secondary bridge?
It's obviously a tragedy for all the lives lost but I'm wondering how badly it's gonna interrupt life in the area for the next few years, will it be a minor inconvenience not to have that route available or is it gonna cause a complete disruption of lives and traffic nightmares everywhere
I’d say it’s pretty major. It’s going to disrupt and cause extra traffic for quite a while.

Exactly...

If you watch the video you can see where it appears that they lose power at least twice before the collision. I would venture to bet that aft propulsion and steering was also lost as well, helping to contribute to this tragedy.

Fuck man... Seeing shit like this brings back some pretty shitty memories. My own ship had a collision in 1999 and it was a harrowing experience.
The ONLY time I have ever heard the triplet chirp of the collision alarm outside of daily testing...

Still fucks with me to this day
Yeah, you can see the power going out twice. After the first time, when the power comes back on you can see a plume of black smoke from the ship, its been suggested that was from the diesel powered generator firing up but then the power goes out again. Just awful. Can't imagine the panic on board when the power went out.

And this is supposedly the cargo ship that was involved. I've seen reports that the hull has been breeched.

GJlFNdYWcAAMeef

It's obviously a tragedy for all the lives lost but I'm wondering how badly it's gonna interrupt life in the area for the next few years, will it be a minor inconvenience not to have that route available or is it gonna cause a complete disruption of lives and traffic nightmares everywhere

Maps show it as interstate 695 so I assume it had a lot of traffic.
map

Yeah, you can see the power going out twice. After the first time, when the power comes back on you can see a plume of black smoke from the ship, its been suggested that was from the diesel powered generator firing up but then the power goes out again. Just awful. Can't imagine the panic on board when the power went out.

And this is supposedly the cargo ship that was involved. I've seen reports that the hull has been breeched.

GJlFNdYWcAAMeef

The plume of smoke from the stack could've also been the engines ordered full astern (right the fuck now!!!) after a long slow bell or dead stop.

(We called it the smoke screen on one of my old ships, had to be wary of stack fires)

As someone who steers similar ships and who has some knowledge about ship navigation in inland waterways I can say it's most likely mechanical error leading to an inability to navigate. It's possible it's user error but a ship in any inland waterway has a "pilot" on watch on the "bridge" who's either a permanent crew member or more than likely in this case, is a member of the pilots association and is a "local" who by the nature of their job is very familiar with that specific waterway.

International, "deep sea" vessels have a pilot, a captain, a mate, and multiple "watchmen/ab's" on watch in the pilot house observing and acting to make sure the ship navigates safely, not to mention multiple crew members monitoring systems from below the decks in the "engine control room"...

This is really dark...

*Edit: they were going 8kts when they hit the bridge, and apparently had an explosion on board which cut their power twice. Without power a ship can't steer. These ships also have crew standing by the anchors for emergencies but anchors don't work when moving that fast...

You were on some Lakers IIRC ?

I live near st. Louis and we have at least 8 bridges that connect the metro areas on the IL and MO sides of the Mississippi. This is 100% nightmare fuel. RIP to all those lost in the catastrophe.

Edit: and that 8 count doesn't even include rail bridges.

This is crazy,

My knowledge of boats is limited of course I been on a few for fishing, boats n ho's and all that . But even with the power lost weren't their path too close anyways because of the time it takes to stir it ?

This is crazy,

My knowledge of boats is limited of course I been on a few for fishing, boats n ho's and all that . But even with the power lost weren't their path too close anyways because of the time it takes to stir it ?

A ship that size going 8 knots takes at least a mile to stop. And that's if you have power to back on it but if there's no power it would take miles to come to a stop at that speed.

A ship that size going 8 knots takes at least a mile to stop. And that's if you have power to back on it but if there's no power it would take miles to come to a stop at that speed.
Yea my point is, I guess even if they didn't lose power twice they would not been able to stop from hitting it? well in that video maybe is was malfunctioning longer than then in the vid.

Yea my point is, I guess even if they didn't lose power twice they would not been able to stop from hitting it? well in that video maybe is was malfunctioning longer than then in the vid.
Yeah, you're right. If they never lost power but for whatever reason lost the ability to move the rudder it would take a mile + to stop her

I remember you mentioning that, we've definitely crossed paths. I've probably waved to you and you grimaced and refused to wave back! Or maybe it was the other way around...

Depends If yall got stuck and got me recalled, lol.

This is crazy,

Current and wind are a motherfucker, doubly so at a bridge, also I'm not sure where or if they had to turn before approaching.

I'd have to look at a chart and check wx conditions.

It's a nightmare for local residents.
The major highway I-95 that goes north & south via Baltimore Harbor Tunnel or the Ft McHenry Tunnel will end up getting more traffic.

Dundalk residents will probably go through Ft McHenry tunnel since that highway is a breeze and has less traffic.

It's a 1200 foot wide span. I assume the channel would be close to the middle of the span How did they get so far off course? Was the tide coming in or going out? What was the wind? Whatever was going on it seems like the two pilots on board should have

I've seen reports that container ships are some of the most poorly maintained ships on the sea and often have crews who don't know enough about them. Of course the owners don't want to take them out of service for repair. They register them in countries that don't require much over site. They hire crew from anywhere and many of the crew can't communicate with each other but the crew on this ship are said to be all from India. This vessel was flagged in Singapore. I suspect that an investigation will uncover many problems even though it is a relatively new ship that was launched in 2015.

The big question is how long will the port be shut down. I don't know if the water is deep enough for ships to clear the wreckage of the bridge.

Back