Media Volk, "I want you all to remember this doubt...."

• This has been the most he's spent on a camp before.
Sadly I'm betting Islam will still be way outspending him lol, doubt Volk has one million to spend on a camp like Islam's team does.

Great thread though, I'm trying to get excited for this fight, love hearing Volk is confident and preparing the right way.

Sadly I'm betting Islam will still be way outspending him lol, doubt Volk has one million to spend on a camp like Islam's team does.

Great thread though, I'm trying to get excited for this fight, love hearing Volk is confident and preparing the right way.

Now that Islam's champ, he'll be having a 20 million dollar camp, on the moon.

New volk video. He kind of just goes on and on about how excited he is, but here's some brief cliffs:
  • Already has a huge house filled with wrestlers and training partners from around the world. His diet has already been on point. He's been ready for a while and still has 13 weeks to get ready.
  • Islam is a challenge, and that's why he's taking this fight. He likes challenges and this one will make him grow as a martial artist.
  • He loves that there's tons of people doubting him right now -- it motivates him. He wants everyone to remember just how much he is doubted right now. He wants to prove that nothing is impossible. "once I prove you all wrong, I want you to use that as inspiration."
  • This has been the most he's spent on a camp before.
  • He's very confident that he's going to be better than ever at LW (bigger, stronger, faster etc etc)

Am I the only one who finds the “everybody doubted me” angle to be tedious and boring?

Am I the only one who finds the “everybody doubted me” angle to be tedious and boring?

I don't know. I like that he's not saying it in order to spite those people, though. He's generaly sad that people are so against challenging themselves and that they think something is practically impossible. His point here was that he wants all these doubters to take inspiration from him and stop putting limitations on themselves. If he pulls this off, good on him. It would be inspirational indeed.

Now that Islam's champ, he'll be having a 20 million dollar camp, on the moon.
Lol, I would honestly love to know what a 1 million dollar camp entails... I can't imagine how you could spend that much money on a 12 week camp.

It's well known Lebron spends 1.5 million per YEAR on his body and everyone is like "wow Lebron takes his longevity so seriously" which he does and it's pretty amazing to see the results... but Islam's backers spending 1 million on a camp is crazy.

I'm so happy Anik let that slip, he knew that information was not supposed to be public lol. That will forever be the undeniable proof these guys have had some pretty major advantages throughout their careers.

I don't know. I like that he's not saying it in order to spite those people, though. He's generaly sad that people are so against challenging themselves and that they think something is practically impossible. His point here was that he wants all these doubters to take inspiration from him and stop putting limitations on themselves. If he pulls this off, good on him. It would be inspirational indeed.

Okay I like that too. I didn’t watch the video but have heard him harp on doubters before in a way that I found kinda lame.

Lol, I would honestly love to know what a 1 million dollar camp entails... I can't imagine how you could spend that much money on a 12 week camp.

It's well known Lebron spends 1.5 million per YEAR on his body and everyone is like "wow Lebron takes his longevity so seriously" which he does and it's pretty amazing to see the results... but Islam's backers spending 1 million on a camp is crazy.

I'm so happy Anik let that slip, he knew that information was not supposed to be public lol. That will forever be the undeniable proof these guys have had some pretty major advantages throughout their careers.

I take that figure with a grain of salt.

He needs to be killing himself for the next 8 or so weeks when it comes to wrestling, grappling and strength training. He has to live that, put every ounce of effort into bridging that gap as much as he possibly can with the time he has. He needs to really develop grappling cardio, Volks a cardio machine but being worn on by a LW monster with God tier grappling like Islam for rounds who's going to be about 180lbs on fight night is a different story, so he's gotta spend rounds getting smashed on, constantly on the bottom, getting back up, scrambling, being taken down again and fighting to get back up etc vs bigger stronger wrestlers and still have the confidence after 2-3 rounds of that he has the cardio to push a pace and go and try to find the knockout still.

If Volk is doing things right, over the course of 3 months with 4000+ high protein calories a day, strength training and constant wrestling and intensive grappling he might not be able to go back down to 145lbs after this. I'm skeptical though, fighters rarely pull a Rumble and truly develop into a weight class or more larger in functional mass. They typically just bulk and cut less, which isn't gonna do it for a guy like Islam, Volk needs to be stronger.

Sausage fest it up, dude needs to go through many cycles of death and rebirth on those mats for the next couple of months vs guys who are 5'10-6ft and 180-200lbs with great upper body attacks, trips and single legs. I'm not a fan of this fight because of what it does to both divisions but I'd like to see what Volk can make happen, this is to me one of the biggest challenges we've seen a fighter ever take, ya know? Izzy vs Jan was fugazi, Jan was one of the weakest LHW champs ever, GSP vs Bisping is the same story and GSP didn't stick around for Whittaker or Romero for a damn good reason.

I just expect to be disappointed but it'd be cool to be surprised, so cool actually. I keep saying it but if Volk hit as hard as a guy like Topuria I'd be way more interested in him actually making something happen here.
These are all valid points but I don't see another name I recognize on the list of fighters Adriano Martins has KO'd besides Islam. Volk isn't a power puncher but I don't think that'd prevent him from finishing Islam if he could penetrate the defense (admittedly a lion of a task in itself).

I think Islam smothers him comfortably to a 49-46 with some interesting scrambly rounds as they get sweaty, or maybe catches a late sub. But I also think Volk will approach a fight with a guy he knows he HAS to finish differently than these guys at 145 who he knows he's levels above with the point fight game (besides Holloway 2 which he proved was an off night). Volk is way too smart to think he's gonna completely avoid Islam's game for 25 minutes, he saw what happened to Izzy trying to use movement to neutralize a larger imposing fighter. He'll use movement smartly but imo he's coming for that KO.

Why?

It came directly from DC who would know... maybe it was slightly more or slightly less, but I highly doubt Anik decided to completely make that up for no reason.

And DC's quote was "MORE than a million dollars" We're actually rounding down. Who knows what they really spent though.

Ive got to be the only guy on here who thinks he should stfu and stay at 145. You fought the same guy three times and styles make fights the goat shit is laughable.
Maybe if the divas holding up his division didn't wait for him to get a LW title shot before agreeing to fight each other to cement a shot, he could be fighting one of them.

Mad respect to the guy but I don’t think this is smart

It's low risk-high reward. Gets to dare to be great like Izzy attempted and still remains the Champ in a division that doesn't seem to have an answer to him. The Interim Challengers are a joke, and Allen is the only real contender stopping him from clearing the division.

Kattar is a long way's away from a Title shot, Yair is getting grapple fucked, and Emmet MIGHT pose some problems but went Life and Death with Kattar. This is the perfect time for him to attempt becoming Champ Champ. FW has nothing for him at the moment.

hes literally 5'4" tall, maybe even shorter. He had a god awful performance against Max in the 2nd fight and lost. He almost got submitted by a part time fighter Modelo model. He does not possess KO power or any elite submission skills. You exhibit the midget to outpoint Islam to decision victory. Hell his most impressive performance in the UFC is against a 40yr old dude that should have retired 5 years ago (that he couldn't finish until the 4th round).

He's now the most overrated champ in the entire UFC (taking over the mantle from his boyfriend Izzy).

Islam and Khabib called him out so quickly and are ready to fight again in a few months because they know its a joke. They know its a guaranteed way to get Islam to the number 1 spot before he has to fight real normal sized men at LW. Dariush and Poirier are much tougher challenges that would require much more preparation for them.
And he beat the fuck out of Max in the third :)

Volk is short but has monkey long arms his reach is nuts. And he is extremely strong.

I am picking him vs Islam

I hope he wins. I hope he doesn't expose his neck for a guillotine...

#1 P4P fighter.

I will get flamed for this, but in my eyes, he's the best fighter I have ever seen step foot in the cage. I'm looking forward to 284 and I'm rolling with Team Volkanovski all fucking day, let's go!

This fight feels really special to me. Like the magnitude is palpable imo, wish I could be there!
Too bad he's getting finished inside two rounds.

Back