Multiplatform VR Megathread

This is my newest VR setup with HTC Vive Pro 2 5k headset, i9-12gen cpu, RTX 3090ti, corsair 5000t case. I have also an Oculus Quest 2 but this is night an day vs the Quest 2. Working on a new motion simulator.

full

Wow….best games of all time…Um, ok.

Where does Alyx rank in your top ten? Very curious.
Everyone I know who's played it says the same thing. I think it hasn't gotten the acclaim one would think because it's a VR game, and most people haven't played it. Half-Life 2 is in my opinion the best game of all time and I haven't played it.

My experience with HTC Vive Pro VS the Quest 2

Quest 2 advantages
Big one Price you cannot get into the Vive Pro 2 with a 1080 or 2060ti just not enough compute so you're in for an RX 6700 or RTX 3070 minimum spec with 16 gigs of ram i5 11 gen or better or to get the best performance i5 12 gen.

2) Quest to does not need lighthouses that is an advantage or disadvantage in some cases. Reason is Quest 2 headset is prone to skipping at times and you lose tracking if your standing to close to wall at times. Quest 2 uses inside out tracking and fresnel optics lines are pretty much non-existent vs the Vive Pro 2.

3)The software selection is growing fast faster then in Steam though it is improving somewhat.

HTC Vive Pro advantages.
1)Software library and drivers seems more mature where Oculus 2 seems to in constant flux with features being added or changed.
FOV "Field of View" the HTC resolution and field of view is a generation ahead if not more. It's for the most part outside of the exterior lines is much better especially in FOV. I could watch movies and videos all day in that headset and I don't seem to sweat as much in the Vive vs Quest 2.

2: Steam takes it seriously the stuff that have is very well produced in games and experiences. Faster response times with head and hand tracking I have the new Value knuckles controller great hand and finger tracking where Quest 2 is behind it even with beta finger tracking very janky. I like it a lot overall but new headsets coming out will for sure improve in many areas.

I do some freelance Dev work, and I'm inundated with requests to work of VR projects.

It's still a buzzy area but not much in the way of substance. I predict people will keep trying to milk it for a while, but imo it's too clunky and won't get much better. Another tech branch will envelop it.

I do some freelance Dev work, and I'm inundated with requests to work of VR projects.

It's still a buzzy area but not much in the way of substance. I predict people will keep trying to milk it for a while, but imo it's too clunky and won't get much better. Another tech branch will envelop it.

Mix reality would not be possible without a headset of some form so even though your still set against it this will become the default way of working and playing in the world. Augmented and virtual will open new ways to align the way we interact with the world. I been developing in C, C++, C#+ and Java tools like Unity, Unreal obviously will keep increasing features to ease development in this area. No doubt it is extremely frustrating but as more enter this area that will improve.
You cannot replace the realism of entering that world such as space or some distant time ago with out it.

Don't really hear any news about any upcoming games, no boom happening as expected. Still niche and will be for the future. The idea of VR looks only good on paper. I was sceptical from day 1. Big fan of Half Life but even the half baked game they released for it is not enough to make me buy it. Do you own VR? Still using or gathering dust?
I love my Oculus, but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would when I purchased it.

None of this grasps anybody...

The games are fucking sad... the people who can buy this stuff played street fighter 2... No new blood will work hard to buy a dipshit idea like this.

Games don't have longevity ... That is the only reason to game

I don't understand why VR makes people so angry and they want it to fail.

It's really cool tech and makes things possible than games on a normal screen can't do. Sure the tech still has plenty of things to improve on but it'll get there.

Eye tracking is a big game changer. I recall hearing John Carmack talking about it for future Oculus headsets. Only having to render small high res sections will save massively on GPU and battery costs. Standalone sets are just too underpowered atm, this would change that and let devs port bigger games over.

I love VR, but I hated the production behind setting it up/solving glitches, and being tethered to a cable. I played around with a wireless adapter for my rift, it was great. Having to take off the headset too often to fiddle with my keyboard was still a giant pain, especially as I wear glasses; smudge city.

Inside out tracking is probably miles better now, though the three sensors I have worked really well, especially for things like loading a bow behind your back. Having hand tracking glitches are as vomit inducing as dropped frames, at least severe immersion breaking.

Valve having their own OS for future games will also help streamline things.

I don't understand why VR makes people so angry and they want it to fail.

It's really cool tech and makes things possible than games on a normal screen can't do. Sure the tech still has plenty of things to improve on but it'll get there.

I can't imagine anyone shitting on VR ever actually played it properly. I'll never forget my first go at an arcade with a vive. I felt like i was stepping into the Matrix, bought it right away.

VR is great for flight sims. I can’t imagine using it for much else. Especially games where I’m running around. I don’t want to actually have to get up and do stuff. If I did, I would do stuff instead of playing games.

Eye tracking is a big game changer. I recall hearing John Carmack talking about it for future Oculus headsets. Only having to render small high res sections will save massively on GPU and battery costs. Standalone sets are just too underpowered atm, this would change that and let devs port bigger games over.

I love VR, but I hated the production behind setting it up/solving glitches, and being tethered to a cable. I played around with a wireless adapter for my rift, it was great. Having to take off the headset too often to fiddle with my keyboard was still a giant pain, especially as I wear glasses; smudge city.

Inside out tracking is probably miles better now, though the three sensors I have worked really well, especially for things like loading a bow behind your back. Having hand tracking glitches are as vomit inducing as dropped frames, at least severe immersion breaking.

Valve having their own OS for future games will also help streamline things.

I can't imagine anyone shitting on VR ever actually played it properly. I'll never forget my first go at an arcade with a vive. I felt like i was stepping into the Matrix, bought it right away.

From what I hear about project cambria or Meta Quest Pro? A few negatives I hear one is the field of view will remain the same even though they are switching to pancake optics "Largely based on a new rumor for using smaller but much higher resolution OLED's could be as much as 4k per eye". Other is it will not be using the same SOC but an upgraded version of the same SOC with elements designed in house by Facebook rumored to be costing facebook billions. It will be substantially lighter design and offering previously announced eye tracking. But could be a major game changer is a version of Augmented Reality in the past people like Magic Leap and others used tinted optics where a lot of people complained about how tinting effected the quality of the images. Well facebook instead using cameras to take a very high resolution image from outside an passes it through to the user. Reduces the issues currently happening to Augmented Reality headsets today by giving people a bright image vs dark tinted images from outside.

Already see where Augmented reality could really help with motion simulation by allowing you to track object like the racing wheel into the game and gated shifter as well as switches. You could see your steering wheel in the game VS just seeing the games wheel. Also because it maps the area Augmented reality game characters could be interacting with the surrounding like if you hold out your hand to shake the characters hand or sit on a chair. Deckhard will be using pancake optics to but will offer a wider field of view apparently and eye tracking. But no word yet on Deckhard using passthrough optics like Cambria. I will tell you seated movies in Vive is unreal like nothing I have ever seen in the Quest. It's freaky as well as looking over rails in game the effect is much more effective then in the Quest don't know if it is the quality of images, resolution or brightness it is just better by some margin over the quest.

I ordered the HP 2nd generation headset that offers similar optics to HTC Vive inside out tracking and uncompressed visuals from the basement simulator to get a comparison. Right now HP running a sale 200 off the HP headset with new generation headset coming out maybe a good time to buy a pretty decent headset for 400 bucks. I don't see it here but there is a link it looks like for an addition 100 bucks off. I got a renewed for 419.00 on ebay before I found out about the sale going on. darn.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset?jumpid=ps_com_ac_nm&utm_medium=ps&utm_source=ga&utm_campaign=HP-Store_US_BRA_PS_CPS_OPEX_Google_All_SEM_Exact_Accessories&utm_term=hp virtual reality&matchtype=e&adid=616982383886&addisttype=g&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=50229248&cq_con=81211247681&cq_term=hp virtual reality&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&ds_rl=1231654&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfuYBhAZEiwA5a6CDIKbE9hbOVc8-pAjvUyolcLGoFTOfAAut29q2kLLIErOzdRDh2zVzBoCMtMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Virtual-R...?keywords=hp+vr+headset&qid=1662983986&sr=8-9

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset?jumpid=ps_com_ac_nm&utm_medium=ps&utm_source=ga&utm_campaign=HP-Store_US_BRA_PS_CPS_OPEX_Google_All_SEM_Exact_Accessories&utm_term=hp virtual reality&matchtype=e&adid=616982383886&addisttype=g&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=50229248&cq_con=81211247681&cq_term=hp virtual reality&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&ds_rl=1231654&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfuYBhAZEiwA5a6CDIKbE9hbOVc8-pAjvUyolcLGoFTOfAAut29q2kLLIErOzdRDh2zVzBoCMtMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Side note the longer cables for the Reverb G2 are sold out.

Update: This is the one I bought.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165480962933

Last edited:
I think the problem VR gaming tends to have is that they just try and show horn it into existing games formats rather than make stuff suited for it.

Initial problem with VR is the amount of venture capital money that initially flowed towards entities not familiar with the gaming space. Long term no one knows if VR will mimic Googles Glasses, brain interface like the Matrix or the holodeck in Star Treck. Until that stage is reached it'll be a niche gaming/entertainment product.

I think the problem VR gaming tends to have is that they just try and show horn it into existing games formats rather than make stuff suited for it.
I think you can especially with racing games and first or second person shooters convert them to VR the issue is it costs money and a lot of game developers handle this like a sideline not serious effort and another side note it was announced that Quest has over 10 million users. It's pretty much dominating VS PSVR and way way ahead of Vive and Valve headset offering. I think as more people experience enter level VR they will be more likely to invest in better headsets such as Vive, Valve and newest headsets to use newest games.

Edit: I forgot to add one new VR game developer announced they sold 1.2 million dollars worth the first week of release. What makes this special is it is from an indy developer not a big developer.
Moss Book 2 40 dollars

Last edited:
Here is an example of one of the best VR games going that can run traditionally DCS World deep learning curve with big hardware requirements but it is mostly the perfect VR game.

Back