W40K Inquisitor Martyr alpha gameplay (VERY alpha)

So is the like a hack n slash rpg in the vein of Diablo, Torchlight etc...

If so, I am sold.

Really not a fan of RTS.

It's like Diablo with guns in the 40K universe. Alpha is limited but I think they'll also be implementing psyker powers too. Right now there are a pile of weapons. You can equip a Two handed, or two single handed, or even just one single handed which will then offer 4 different firing options.

Have any Sherdoggers picked this up at all?

I am having fun with it. being that this phase is "the Founding", I am not getting too attached to anything that I get done, because they do full character/account wipes with each update, so I've learned not to get too excited when I get that sweet Purple drop (Artificer).

But I am pretty stoked to play tonight since I got a blueprint for an Artificer Power Sword last night. They've built in a Forge time, which is retarded IMO. To craft Rare (Green) items it takes 10 minutes of literal wait time. In my case to craft my new Sword, it is going to take 40 minutes. Retarded and pointless, but I am hoping they change that.

The Devs are actively listening to the Founding Community and replying as well, to my Twitter for example. The NeoCore games forum is active with Dev participation. It's a nice change. I don't post there because it's blocked at work, but I tweet at them and they see it and acknowledge is, so I am trying to limit my comments and feedback to actual constructive input instead of just random crap.

Right now it is pretty buggy. The Character animation freezes if you equip a pistol and a melee weapon. Also I've found certain pistols won't function when equipped with a melee weapon, but if you equip dual pistols, they'll both work. It's strange.
(You have to understand: The Pistols have Two firing modes when equipped with a melee weapon. If a Pistol is equipped solo, it will have FOUR firing modes)
When I equip the Auto Pistol with a melee weapon, it will not fire at all.
When I equip the Bolt Pistol with a melee weapon, it will only fire in single shot mode.
When I equip the Auto Pistol with the Bolt Pistol (dual wield) they will both fire in single shot or automatic.

I made a vid for the devs:

The game is SLOW compared to Diablo 3, but it's fun and has a ton of potential. I've brought up the slow gameplay speed on the reddit site and have been told that this is intentional. I guess they really want to push the use of the cover system. I don't see the benefit to using cover, as you still take damage and can't dish any out. But the game is still being developed, so...

Have any Sherdoggers picked this up at all?

I am having fun with it. being that this phase is "the Founding", I am not getting too attached to anything that I get done, because they do full character/account wipes with each update, so I've learned not to get too excited when I get that sweet Purple drop (Artificer).

But I am pretty stoked to play tonight since I got a blueprint for an Artificer Power Sword last night. They've built in a Forge time, which is retarded IMO. To craft Rare (Green) items it takes 10 minutes of literal wait time. In my case to craft my new Sword, it is going to take 40 minutes. Retarded and pointless, but I am hoping they change that.

The Devs are actively listening to the Founding Community and replying as well, to my Twitter for example. The NeoCore games forum is active with Dev participation. It's a nice change. I don't post there because it's blocked at work, but I tweet at them and they see it and acknowledge is, so I am trying to limit my comments and feedback to actual constructive input instead of just random crap.

Right now it is pretty buggy. The Character animation freezes if you equip a pistol and a melee weapon. Also I've found certain pistols won't function when equipped with a melee weapon, but if you equip dual pistols, they'll both work. It's strange.
(You have to understand: The Pistols have Two firing modes when equipped with a melee weapon. If a Pistol is equipped solo, it will have FOUR firing modes)
When I equip the Auto Pistol with a melee weapon, it will not fire at all.
When I equip the Bolt Pistol with a melee weapon, it will only fire in single shot mode.
When I equip the Auto Pistol with the Bolt Pistol (dual wield) they will both fire in single shot or automatic.

I made a vid for the devs:

The game is SLOW compared to Diablo 3, but it's fun and has a ton of potential. I've brought up the slow gameplay speed on the reddit site and have been told that this is intentional. I guess they really want to push the use of the cover system. I don't see the benefit to using cover, as you still take damage and can't dish any out. But the game is still being developed, so...

im very intrested there are a handfull of Sherdogger eyeballing this as well.

and i get this i can drag along a few others.

im gonna wait to a certain point in there road map before i get it

im very intrested there are a handfull of Sherdogger eyeballing this as well.

and i get this i can drag along a few others.

im gonna wait to a certain point in there road map before i get it
I don't think the price is going to change or anything. Now is the time to have constructive input into the development of this game bro.

I don't think the price is going to change or anything. Now is the time to have constructive input into the development of this game bro.

judging by the roadmaps a few of the updates have come correct?

So far just one minor and major one.

I think another update is coming soon, yeah. I don't know the date though. It's fun playing right now as it is, but definitely incomplete. It's definitely going to be a "long-haul" type of game, based on the Skill trees and slow skill point accumulation alone. I might make a video showing the skill trees and reviewing them.

So far I am level 17 and I am putting all my skill points into the Astartes Combat skill tree, and I think I am 6 skill points away from maxing it out. There are other trees that offer other perks and advantages as well, such as the Catachan Skill tree, Assassin skill tree, I think an Adeptus mechanicus skill tree, etc. IIRC I think there are about 6 or 8 different available skill trees.

The game looks like it is going to be fairly deep, with a lot of different options available. For example, with this Alpha Update, we now have Forging and Salvaging available, which has introduced Materials for a material grind. I know there will be some adjustments and balancing coming, because the monetary currency is easy to come by and the materials are easy to come by.

Right now they are using a timed delay on forging, which I absolutely despise. I got into a huge debate over this with some pretentious limey on reddit, because I despise the built in wait time. His contention is that is stops people from instantly crafting new gear every time they level up.

That is a design flaw IMO - They have implemented a blueprint system, which allows you to build any piece of gear that you have a blueprint for, and made it so the stats will roll out based on your current level. In other words, as you rank up, your Blueprint-Forged gear will rank up to match. Bad choice.
So to avoid people from crafting full armour and weapon sets immediately every time they rank up, they have made a 10 minute timer for each Rare piece, and a 40 minute timer for each Artificer piece. Total pain in the ass.

IMO they should just limit the materials more, instead of wasting people's time with an actual timer for forging. Force people to make choices on what gear they are going to create, based on semi-scarce mats.

FYI the hierarchy of equipment is a little different from what I am used to. From weakest to strongest:
Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple and that's all I've seen so far.

I don't like the blue drops, because the shade is close to purple and I keep getting cock-teased on drops, thinking they are purples, but when the mission ends they are all Uncommons instead of Artificer.

One thing I really like is the animations. When you run with dual pistols, they animation changes based on which weapon you're firing. You can see the mag drop when you reload, and they've even built in unique animations to represent Recoils on different pistols I've noticed. For instance the Grav-Pistol: it makes hardly any sound, but the recoil animation shows you that it packs a wallop. The autopistols animation changes based on the fire type: Auto or semi auto. So far so good.

I don't like how they wipe our accounts with every update, but I've learned to let go. Haha!

Last edited:
Yeah. I'll try to get around to making a short video about the skill trees for you.

I can say that with the current build it does nothing DRASTIC, but again this game is being designed for the long haul. The percentage increases are small, almost negligible, but over time with playing consistently, all the selections you make will add up to a greater effect.

I'll make a vid for you. Hopefully this weekend.

Patch version V0.2.1 was released about 10 hours ago. I am downloading now. Very pumped to see what they've developed.

They're introducing a new Character type with this patch: Assassins.

NeoCoreGames Website said:
NEW CLASS: ASSASSIN
The Assassin is a fast, versatile class - but only in the hands of highly skilled Inquisitors. She can deal immense amounts of damage under short periods of time, but in return, she has very light armor, making her very susceptible to all forms of damage.
Special class mechanics
Dodge moves: You can swiftly roll in 4 directions to avoid damage, interrupting any current action. The Assassin receives a high defense bonus for a short period of time.
Adrenaline: Unlike the Crusader, the Assassin generates her class resource per hit.
Class Armor mechanics:
Stealth Field: Enter a cloaked state, draining Adrenaline with your actions. Attacking breaks Stealth Field and the Assassin receives a 6 second damage bonus, which is halved if the player was detected.
Temporal Distortion Field: Slows down all kinetic projectiles, enemy movement and attack speed by 80%. The user's movement speed is increased by 30% for the duration and all attacks are counted as Surprise.
Holo Field: Deploys Holograms of the Assassin to deceive enemies. The Holograms will attract and fight enemies but deal no damage.
Class Weapons
Sniper rifles and Melee Weapons
In the next content update, the Assassin will be able to use pistols and two-handed melee weapons.

NEW FEATURE: CABALS
Players can now create Cabals and recruit members to join the fight against heresy! The basics of the Cabal system are now added to the game - Creation, recruitment, and cabal chat.
To create a Cabal, select the Cabal button from the bottom menu bar.
Creating a Cabal costs 100 Fate.
Players can browse for Cabals in the Cabal Browser.

Read full patch notes here:
https://neocoregames.com/en/community/inquisitor-martyr-content-patch-v021

Not so pumped now. All enemies are horde-mode and totally OP. Totally out of balance.

I haven't tried it yet because I have too much fun with my Crusader. I was getting completely raped in one planetary system, even on Level 1 missions, but when I tried a different planetary system I could carry out level 1 and 2 missions, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

I am having fun with it. The graphics are much nicer now since the patch. The Flames are roiling and they even give off a heat shimmer effect. Very well done. It's hard as fuck right now but I got over my initial rage and gave it another chance yesterday and had a lot of fun playing at lower levels.

The drops so far are an absolute travesty. Not a single Purple after about 8 hours of gaming. Very lame drops, but I am playing at lower missions so...

I haven't tried it yet because I have too much fun with my Crusader. I was getting completely raped in one planetary system, even on Level 1 missions, but when I tried a different planetary system I could carry out level 1 and 2 missions, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

I am having fun with it. The graphics are much nicer now since the patch. The Flames are roiling and they even give off a heat shimmer effect. Very well done. It's hard as fuck right now but I got over my initial rage and gave it another chance yesterday and had a lot of fun playing at lower levels.

The drops so far are an absolute travesty. Not a single Purple after about 8 hours of gaming. Very lame drops, but I am playing at lower missions so...

i really hope they change the sounds in the next major patch

I was wrong about the lack of Purple drops. They were going straight into my list without showing as a reward, which is a bug I reported on reddit:

For you Ghost, since you're interested in WH40k and this game, my feedback and bug report on the latest patch:

Stabby on Reddit said:
OK I put some serious time in this weekend with this game. My initial reaction was extremely negative, but there was something glitching out. It started off bad, but it got good in the end.

Originally after the update, I started playing and it was extremely difficult, even on Level 1. There were enemies regenerating health faster than I could DPS them even on level 1. It was infuriating to have cleared all the adds and only have one Plaguebearer left, and have full stock of wardrug, and STILL not be able to kill him because he would regen health so quickly. That battle went on and on, with his Nurgle Mites eventually wearing my health down to the point where I had to burn through all my wardrug stock. I think I fought him for an hour before I ran out or wardrug. When the Mites and Plaguebearer had finally worn down all my health and I was out of Wardrug, and about to die, I resigned in frustration and took my hand off the mouse and gave up completely, but then by some miracle he suddenly died. I was like "wtf...?"

The difficulty was through the roof before I restarted my computer. It was literally unplayable on any difficulty selection and I was ready to completely walk away until next patch. But I gave it another chance and I'm glad I did.

Once I started playing again the next day, things were more normal. Level 1 missions were doable, level 2 missions were doable and level 3 missions were somewhat attemptable (With some success, but more wipes than anything) By the end of the weekend I had logged in enough game time to hit my 800 Glory, and then some.

The animations are much nicer now, and the graphics are much more fluid and crisp as far as the main model goes. The new look (Crusader armour) is badass and the cloak flows with movement very nicely. The fire is mind-blowingly beautiful. I can't belive what I nice job you did on the fire. It's jaw-dropping. I even see a hot-gas effect from the fire. It's probably my favorite part of the graphics.

I feel that the level of detail in the graphics goes to waste, because you can't see them unless you scroll in, however you can't play scrolled in, because you can't change the angle (height) of the camera/view (Or if you can't I haven't figured out how yet). If I could change the angle to a flatter view I would play it zoomed in much more often and really be able to enjoy the graphics.

The Star Map is gorgeous. Stunning. I am extremely excited to see how big this game is in the end, after zooming out and seeing that the entire Tenebra Subsector is only one of many Subsectors.

I love the introduction of the new "Outdoor" maps with the metal gantries and mezzanines, sloping ramps and different elevations. I like the Skull tripwires, and how they trigger mobbs to teleport in if you're not careful.

I Glad to see you fixed the Yellow Innoculator Salvaging bug.

I took notes while I played so I could write a decent report for you. Now for the feedback points:

•My biggest gripe is that there is no progression for grinding. For weeks now I have been stuck at Level 1 (Attack: 63 out of 66), and can't hit level 2 because there are no loot drops that will raise my Attack level. I feel ZERO sense of progression, even after grinding all weekend. My character literally hasn't budged an inch.

•All Purple Schematics dropped straight into my "Learned Schematics" list without stopping in my inventory first, and without showing up as a mission loot reward. (I had no idea that I was getting purple drops until went into my Crafting section to try crafting a duplicate weapon for a better roll). I didn't see them as a reward and I didn't have to click on the Schematic to learn it

•Purple loot all dropped as schematics. No drops as actual items

•A different shade of Blue should be used in gameplay for when there are drops. That shade is too close to Purple and is a constant disappointment. You finish a mission thinking you got decent drops, only to find a bunch of blue salvagable items.

•Successful Suppression Shield deflection needs better indication; Needs a decent audio cue and better visual cue. It looks and sounds the same whether you successfully blocked an attack or not

•Personal Void Shield Animation looks like it needs some work, when compared to the beauty of the Fire that you've created. It looks crappy.

•When hitting up Supply boxes, the supply loot drops out as "Grenades" even if you're wearing a Void shield

•When playing the Mission Mode where you have to collect the clues, there is no Visual or Audio indication when you successfully collect that clue from the computer terminal, other than the little cross disappearing on the mini-map

•Salvage bugged out and would not let me salvage two Blue Greataxes. I had to sell them to get rid of them

•The "Y" and "N" buttons should be made active for menu choice selections, such as salvaging. Click the Salvage button with mouse hand, and "Are you sure you want to salvage this item?" - Press "Y" instead of mousing over to it

•My new Innoculator Components were never received for reaching levels in whatever solar systems I was grinding out (Twice)

•Glory: I did the grind to 800 and couldn't get my package. After logging out and later logging back in, the package was there. At the time it said I had 7 days left (Will post picture on Instagram)

•Glory: The Glory reset after I hit 800 and got my rewards. It then said I had 6 days left to hit 800, & It was indicating that it was going to give me more rewards. (Not that I mind, I just wasn't sure if the intent is for people to grind it out over and over, or only have one chance per week)

•Can't equip a Pistol with Melee weapon, which is a standard WH40K loadout. C'mon guys. Lore.

•There were times when I was completely surrounded by enemies (Mites of Nurgle, etc) and all of my eviscerator attacks became unresponsive and couldn't swap weapons. I would be totally surrounded and madly clicking in all attack buttons and nothing would happen, even though all cooldowns were in a ready state. Only by moving a couple steps away from the area, or by jumping away with the jetpack could I get an attack response. I don't know if that is some kind of enemy effect or attack (paralyzation) but there was nothing indicating anything of the sort

•The Traitor Marines with Rocket Launchers are still OP. If your resolve is broken there is no way to escape, even by walking/running. You get knocked down. By the time you get up and take a step, the next rocket is hitting you and you're knocked down again. You don't even have time to pop a wardrug or a void shield. You may as well take your hand off the mouse and walk away. There is nothing more frustrating or game breaking than an inescapable death loop.

•Treasure Loot chests will drop materials and they are automatically picked up, yet the grenades and Wardrug refills are not. Why no consistency?

•When starting missions in investigations, you can't change your Boon once you've clicked on it without closing the dialogue window, and re-entering the mission selection. For example, if you select having the Turret as your boon, but then decide you would rather have the Three Guardsmen to fight with you, you can't de-select the turret. You have to completely close that window and re-select it all over again

•When you select the Turret as your Boon, you have to pick it up off the ground at the start of mission (Silly) and the name of it shows the raw filename of that item (It just doesn't look very professional)

•When looking at mission and choosing the modifiers (Chemical strike brings enemies health to 90%, etc) there are little icons of Skulls and Jewels with Plus symbols. I have no idea what any of that means. You should be able to float over it and a text-prompt window should tell you that it means "Increased loot" or whatever it actually means. I am assuming it means better chances at loot and tougher enemies, but who knows?

•I had an occurrence where I suddenly lost about 55 Fate points without using any Tarot. It just disappeared into thin air.

Anyways, I am loving how this game is evolving but I am really frustrated with the lack of progression. I have been level 20 and stuck at the numbers I mentioned for weeks and weeks now. (Attack Power at 63/66 and Defense Power at 53/66). I am running 13 pieces of purple gear and only 4 pieces of green gear. (I'll post a picture on my instagram page)

I know you could end up wiping our character completely and any time, but the lack of progression is real nonetheless. The amount of hours I logged in this weekend alone, I can't believe I didn't progress.

I spent the entire weekend playing with my crusader and never touched the Assassin yet, so I will bring you more feedback later on that.

I want to thank you for the Founding and for listening to the community. You are miles above the rest in that regard.

TLDR: Re-start your computer after applying this patch!!!!

Back