Was the Holloway KO of Gaethje a top 5 all-time KO?

Was the Holloway KO of Gaethje a top 5 all-time KO?

• Total voters
Well, given that it occurred at the last second it is certainly top five surprising for me.

The way he fell was pretty savage.

4:59 of the 5th round adds to it, for sure.

Top 5 is hard to break into, but it's a top KO.

Got me for one of teh best. That moment will probably be put into the UFC hall of fame.

One of the things about it that set it apart from a ton of other epic ko'z... was that he didn't have to do it. He was clearly winning & had everything to lose... but called a slobberknocker to end it out. Who teh fook doez that?

Doing that for the BMF belt makes it even cooler... & top it off with the event itself being 300 & it all comes together for me.

Last edited:
i would say no. it would have been greater if he was down on the cards, but he dominated the entire fight. it was not shocking to see this happen at all. i was expecting a KO after the nose break at the end of the 1st.

Definitely.

It might be right behind Leon Edwards' KO of Usman.
I think it is ahead, just how he was far ahead on the cards, 10 seconds left calls Justin in to bang it out...then KO's him with 1 second left...that to me is the greatest moment in UFC history period. The Leon KO was awesome, great comeback and up there too...but this was on another level.

If you look at it in a Vacuum its not

But its UFC 300
Its the symbolic BMF belt
Its 2 hall of famers
Its Max pointing to the center and them two just swining for the fences the last 10 seconds
Its literally the last second of the fight and its a one hitter quitter

Thats what not only makes it top 5 but arguably #1 like if you wrote a movie thats how you would script it

I think it is ahead, just how he was far ahead on the cards, 10 seconds left calls Justin in to bang it out...then KO's him with 1 second left...that to me is the greatest moment in UFC history period. The Leon KO was awesome, great comeback and up there too...but this was on another level.
I think the context puts Leon/Usman ahead.

World title fight, not a made up meaningless belt.

3 rounds down and was being dominated. The legendary corner speech in between rounds.

Perfectly set up headkick, and people have seemingly forgotten now. Usman was THE guy. Pound for pound #1. 15-0 in the UFC, was starting to break into people's GOAT lists. And that post fight speech from Edwards to cap it all off.

By contrast Justin is a great fighter, but he has lost both his world title fights, gets hurt and rocked almost every fight he's in. Just not the same caliber of opponent that Usman was at the time.

It's an amazing KO and possibly the 2nd best ever but Leon/Usman is in the league of It's own imo for the reasons I mentioned.

I chose the boring “not sure.” It was very good, but top 5?

Fedor over Arlovski
Anderson over Forrest, and also Vitor
Yair over Zombie
Holly over Ronda
Masvidal over Askren
Wandy over Rampage
Gonzaga over Mirko
Hendo over Bisping
Barboza over Etim

I dunno, top 5 seems like a stretch.

The KO itself is not that amazing, its the leadup to it.
5 brutal rounds, the pointing to the middle of the octagon even though he was winning in dominant fashion and the icing on the cake
...vicious ko with a 1 second left!

Yeah i think it's definitely up there with top 5 ko's
For the BMF Belt too ...

Max could have coasted to "a points win" ... but instead, doubled-down on himself, went for broke, and absolutely hit it out of the park.

Grand Slam Home Run hit ... Max now (literally) DEFINES "BMF" for eternity.

Yeah, with all of the context, it may be the #1 KO of all time in the UFC saludos1.gif

Last edited:
I’d have a hard time putting it over KO’s when the title was on the line. Aldo/Conor, Weidman/Silva, Usman/Edwards, Ronda/Holm, etc. It’s up there if you’re just going on cool factor though.

I think it is.

Out of context there are many KO shots that are more iconic and aesthetic (H bomb, Barboza spinning kick, Masvidal flying knee, etc).

But in context it's definitely top 5 if not #1. Leon's headshot, Conor's 13 seconds and Yair's elbow are the only ones that rival it off the top of my head.

Yeah I don't even like Holloway at all and that one blew my fucking mind. Just the way he fell right in the middle of the ring too like he sacrificed his own soul for the viewers was just incredible

Fuck no.

Am I the only one who found that fight kind of not deserving of a BMF title? It was pretty dull until the KO.

IDK why everybody was so excited for that one. Justin did nothing and Max pretty much outpointed him without taking much risks until the last 10 seconds.

Holly/ronda certainly doesn't belong in that list. For just female mma, Shevchenko vs eye was cleaner and better, and that's just the women.

Hard disagree.

Ronda was a media sensation, a ridiculous favorite (-1400), and undefeated. She got KTFO badly. It’s easily amongst the most prolific knockouts in UFC history.

Eye/Shev was nasty too. Nunes/Cyborg was nice as well.

I love Sherdog.

Chris Weidman eye pokes guy several times and gets win. Gets absolutely shit on, on Sherdog for eye poking.

Max Holloway does the same thing and gets mouth blowies to the heavens.

Never change Sherdog. Always keep your double standards
Mouth blowies? Are you either 100 or 7?

Back