We keep seeing lockdown on Sherdog. Khabib now using it. How many of you are going into work?

Oh I won’t take it personally if you shit on the U.S. for this :)
We do a terrible job with social safety nets. I feel that it’s more the fault of one political party in particular, but my views on that are more appropriate for the War Room. :)
The U.S. did add an additional $600/wk to a person’s unemployment benefits if they are out of work because they’re sick, caring for someone who’s sick, or if their workplace is closed due to COVID.
Example of how that works: if I was out of work because of the virus. I could apply for state unemployment. Based on my income, I’d get the maximum benefit: a measly $370/week. But under the federal stimulus plan, they add another $600 to that, so I’d get $970/week, which would be livable for me.

I mind if he talks down of the US. :)

How is US unemployment benefits different than EU where this person said it is between 40-80% of their normal pay?

Every non self employed person that was laidoff can get unemployment benefits from their state, which is different from state to state.
I don't know about self employed people as i've never been that.

On top of laid off people getting unemployment benefits the government is giving people that don't make a shit ton of money 1.2k.
Student interest is on hold along with many other things.

I guess I don't understand. Maybe people live too much beyond their means and when shit hits the fan its toasts. IDK.

Too many people talk down on the US without calling out the issues in their own country. IDK
At the end of the day it's no big deal though.

I saw Khabib's instagram post recently about how whole countries are in lockdown. Celebrities and famous sports athletes are in lockdown.

Khabib isn't the only one to talk about country lockdowns
but
What does that really mean?

I am making this thread while I am at work.

I haven't stopped working since the virus came into the media's sight.
I will continue to have to go to work.
Millions and millions of people still have to go into work, from country to country. Not work from home, but actually go into work.

People make it seem like no one is going into work, which is false.
I know many others personally that are still having to go into work.

I live in Wisconsin and work in a homeless shelter.
I still have to go into work just like my boss and co workers.
I go to the grocery store the same as normal and there are people working there.
I still go to the gas station to get things like normal.
Pizza is still being delivered to people's houses.
I have friends that are still going into work.

People act like the word lockdown means absolutely nothing is in operation. That isn't true.

If you don't want to fight and you fear for your safety then just keep it at that, but don't go about it like if you fight you'd be the only one going into work.
You consider the work you mention (including the honorable work you are doing) at the same level as fighting? Fight for entertainment. Really? Don't dishonor the work you're doing by putting it at the same level. You're putting yourself at risk because your work is essential. Fighting is not, this argument is dumb.

Too many people talk down on the US without calling out the issues in their own country. IDK

Yeah something I've noticed too. It's easy to shit on america because we're always in the news and most of the world hates us because of our military practices. When you ask people where they're from, they tend to get quiet, since you can shit on pretty much any country if you put them under a microscope.

I haven't physically been in the office since March 11th.

I mind if he talks down of the US. :)

How is US unemployment benefits different than EU where this person said it is between 40-80% of their normal pay?

Every non self employed person that was laidoff can get unemployment benefits from their state, which is different from state to state.
I don't know about self employed people as i've never been that.

On top of laid off people getting unemployment benefits the government is giving people that don't make a shit ton of money 1.2k.
Student interest is on hold along with many other things.

I guess I don't understand. Maybe people live too much beyond their means and when shit hits the fan its toasts. IDK.

At the end of the day it's no big deal though.

Yeah something I've noticed too. It's easy to shit on america because we're always in the news and most of the world hates us because of our military practices. When you ask people where they're from, they tend to get quiet, since you can shit on pretty much any country if you put them under a microscope.
I’m glad we’ve taken those steps. It wasn’t easy though. Unemployment benefits suck here, and the extra $600/wk also at didn’t happen either. But those are responses to a crisis.
What about our normal operating basis? Our PTO/sick time, maternity leave, paternity leave, etc.,straight up sucks compared to many other nations. That’s just the truth. I love my country, but we lag behind on these types of issues.

I saw Khabib's instagram post recently about how whole countries are in lockdown. Celebrities and famous sports athletes are in lockdown.

but

Millions and millions of people still have to go into work, from country to country. Not work from home, but actually go into work.

I go to the grocery store the same as normal and there are people working there.

People act like the word lockdown means absolutely nothing is in operation. That isn't true.

If you don't want to fight and you fear for your safety then just keep it at that, but don't go about it like if you fight you'd be the only one going into work.
You're an idiot. You're assuming just because you're going to work in Wisconsin that's how it is everywhere in the world. They don't even know if they can set up the fight.
There's too much uncertainty in the situation to begin with and besides that it's pretty weak to bring someone down in a situation to highlight your work ethic and some what normal existence and income you get right now. Then you post to an internet forum after having a conversation with yourself in your head with no awareness and greenlight this ideas and thread.

Enjoy your pizza asshole.

Still working. Doing tax returns at the moment. Most of my client's are still working too. We work with a lot of small business, trying to get them all signed up for the SBA loans to keep them afloat.

I am still working like usual... I work for a university in Idaho

I work for Dominos. I still deliver food but my schedule has shortened. We close orders off at 10pm, it used to be 1am

The virus is a real threat. If I quarantined I would be happy to get a lot of stuff done... But the money would stop coming in. And as my roommates have always been unemployed or worked "freelance" jobs their lives haven't changed much and they can "quarantine." But that seems pointless because I DON'T quarantine and I'm the bridge

We have a stay at home order in my state but it is virtually unenforceable. I work in a room alone so still go in. I honestly haven’t even noticed any huge changes irl at all. While the internet fear mongers run wild most normal people just go about their lives.

Wait a minute. Are you trying to explain what a lockdown is in reality? You do realise that the entire WORLD is in different levels of lockdown? You don’t have to explain because we are all living it.

I’m glad we’ve taken those steps. It wasn’t easy though. Unemployment benefits suck here, and the extra $600/wk also at didn’t happen either. But those are responses to a crisis.
What about our normal operating basis? Our PTO/sick time, maternity leave, paternity leave, etc.,straight up sucks compared to many other nations. That’s just the truth. I love my country, but we lag behind on these types of issues.

The problem with these is it's very easy to stifle industry. It's hard enough to start businesses as it is. Now I have to give someone two months of pay per year, pay all sort of taxes, pay extra fees to pay for regulatory commissions, etc. California is the closest thing we have to the EU style of government. Have you spoken to business owners there? Many are leaving the state because it's too difficult.

More people should seek self employment. It's the best of both worlds.

I can only speak with what i have personally experienced as I haven't sought out all the knowledge in that area.
Where I live, 30-40 hours a week is considered full time. In US if you work full time chances are high that you get PTO.
PTO is determined by the company and not our government (probably why non Americans think we don't get time off). I haven't heard any company not give PTO to full time workers.
I get PTO, a little over a month a year. Personally I feel that is enough time off .
maternity leave, paternity leave I know nothing about.
for me sick time gets taken from your PTO.

I don't want to continue on with this too much as I've been called an asshole in this thread about 3 times now ( I dont know why ha) so I'll just ask you how long do you think a person should get off of work when working full time

I can only speak with what i have personally experienced as I haven't sought out all the knowledge in that area.
Where I live, 30-40 hours a week is considered full time. In US if you work full time chances are high that you get PTO.
PTO is determined by the company and not our government (probably why non Americans think we don't get time off). I haven't heard any company not give PTO to full time workers.
I get PTO, a little over a month a year. Personally I feel that is enough time off .
maternity leave, paternity leave I know nothing about.
for me sick time gets taken from your PTO.

I don't want to continue on with this too much as I've been called an asshole in this thread about 3 times now ( I dont know why ha) so I'll just ask you how long do you think a person should get off of work when working full time
Don’t worry, I won’t call you an asshole :) I’m more concerned about derailing this thread with political talk, because I really like to keep that in the WR. That’s because there are a few posters here that I like & think are good ppl, but don’t agree with politically. I like keeping these threads free to talk about other stuff besides politics.
Anyhow; I don’t think a month of PTO is unreasonable. Where I work, it’s done by seniority. I’ve only been at that company for 3 years, so I get 17 days/year, which is kind of rough. The E.U. guarantees something like 30-38 days for all member states, I forget the exact number off the top of my head.
Do you know howmany countries don’t guarantee paid maternity leave? 2.
1. Papa New Guinea
2. The United States.
That’s pretty fucked up, and I think we should do better. Estonia of all places gives women 85 weeks at full pay. Hungary guarantees 72 weeks.

but

He wants to fight but no country will allow fights to take place. Also he cannot leave Russia to fight even if there was a place to fight.

I’ve been going to work everyday exposing myself to the virus. Trust me, I’d rather be locked down at this point. I don’t blame Khabib at all. He has the right to stay home, and quite frankly, should.
the decision isn't his. I'm sure he wants to go fight if there is a fight, but his county will not allow it.

Back