Wearing mouthguard and cup for jiu jitsu?

who cares what people do and do wear man. i wear a cup and a mouthguard. ive seen too many people accidentally knock teeth out when knocking heads or passing guards and racking my nuts. wear what u feel man. if they are complaining tell them they can wear one also.

i don't wear a cup or mouthguard, i occasionally wear headgear selectively depending who i am rolling with, or depending on wether my ears are sore, if they are sore, it doesn't take much grinding for them to puff up, so i wear the headgear... i have taken the occasional grinded lips and bit tongue, but i have also had a couple of black eyes, and bruised cheekbone and a mouth guard isn't gonna protect against that.

I just wear a mouthguard. I find that a cup not only gets in the way, but causes more problems than it prevents. I very rarely get a full on nutshot when training.

I only wear mouth pieces when sparring

and sometimes a cup

I don't wear a cup because a knee to the balls isn't going to cost me thousands in dental bills. Plus my smile is my livelihood. So I do wear a mouthguard, but no cup.

My no-gi instructor wears some type of goggles, I suppose to protect his eyes although they might be prescription so he can see or something. It looks like an okay idea and they wouldn't get in the way of any submissions or anything.

I'm a big fan of wearing long tights or something during no-gi and a long sleeved rashguard as well, to not get infections from other people.

I always wear a cup... Find that it helps a lot. Also wear a mouth guard now (chipped my teeth twice [not horribly, but I still had to go get them fixed] my first year of training). Occasionally wear headgear when rolling, but never in tournaments.

I've never been hit as hard sparring as I have been while grappling mostly because you don't see it coming.

Wear a mouth guard. There's really no reason not to especially if you are training MMA and need to get used to it.

And I'm astonished there are people who don't wear cups. EVERY time I have ever forgotten my cup I've been kneed in the balls. If your cup is causing more problems then it solves then your cup doesn't fit properly.

I've never been hit as hard sparring as I have been while grappling mostly because you don't see it coming.

Wear a mouth guard. There's really no reason not to especially if you are training MMA and need to get used to it.

And I'm astonished there are people who don't wear cups. EVERY time I have ever forgotten my cup I've been kneed in the balls. If your cup is causing more problems then it solves then your cup doesn't fit properly.

+1

I've heard Nutty Buddies are comfortable for grappling. I just wear my Thai steel cup. Works fine under some compression shorts.

I don't wear a cup because a knee to the balls isn't going to cost me thousands in dental bills.

That's the only reason why? Why not just toss a couple more bucks out and ensure the proper function of your dong as well as your teeth?

I almost never wear a cup. I tried wearing one for a while but it kept pinching my guys and was overall much more uncomfortable than the occasional grazing shot to the groin. I've worn a mouth guard every since my third or fourth week of jiu-jitsu and I'm glad I have one because I've taken a few knees to the mouth (including one from myself).

You can have a custom mouthguard made for you by several companies for much less than $225. It should be just as good of a quality as what your dentist would provide you, if not better.

You can check the Gear and Equipment forum here for some specific suggestions.

I'll have to check that out...thanks

i always wear a mouthguard,but i dont generally wear a cup, just preference, if u find you have freedom wearing the cup, why take it off?

That's the only reason why? Why not just toss a couple more bucks out and ensure the proper function of your dong as well as your teeth?

No, not the only reason. I've bought a cup already so I don't need to buy one, it's just that I get a bit of bruising on the inner legs and generally feel uncomfortable and less mobile with it. Maybe I should look for a better one.

I always wear a cup. Can't stand getting my nuts squash when i do an armbar. I wear a mouth piece whenever i can.

a lot of guys i train with wear cups, mouthguards not so much but some do. Not unusual.

I wear the gear that protects what I'm afraid of having messed up; my knees.

I wear good knee pads to keep my knees from imploding.

I don't wear a mouth guard or cup, but I don't fault those that do.

Iam in your boat but i find no need for a cup and mouth gaurd I have never been hit there or got my teeth jacked yet .

But even if i did i prob wouldnt wear them it just doesnt happen enough to think about it .

In judo your not allowed to wear cups in bjj your allowed to wear anything right ?

I always wear a cup and have needed it every time I've rolled so far.

No, not the only reason. I've bought a cup already so I don't need to buy one, it's just that I get a bit of bruising on the inner legs and generally feel uncomfortable and less mobile with it. Maybe I should look for a better one.

Maybe. Or maybe you just need to get used to it. It's not a natural thing to have there, so it takes a little conditioning to get comfortable with it. That's probably all it is.

And for the guy who gets his berries pinched, add a pair of compression shorts to keep it in place better. Should work like a charm.

Iam in your boat but i find no need for a cup and mouth gaurd I have never been hit there or got my teeth jacked yet .

But even if i did i prob wouldnt wear them it just doesnt happen enough to think about it .

In judo your not allowed to wear cups in bjj your allowed to wear anything right ?

I've gotten conflicting reports on this. Even the competitions are confusing. The rules will say that you can't wear anything, but people still do and they don't get called on it.

So, I'll leave this to others to answer.

I don't wear a cup because a knee to the balls isn't going to cost me thousands in dental bills. Plus my smile is my livelihood. So I do wear a mouthguard, but no cup.

My no-gi instructor wears some type of goggles, I suppose to protect his eyes although they might be prescription so he can see or something. It looks like an okay idea and they wouldn't get in the way of any submissions or anything.

I'm a big fan of wearing long tights or something during no-gi and a long sleeved rashguard as well, to not get infections from other people.

What do you mean "my smile is my livelihood." ?

Back